Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

firebird boiler trouble

• 20-10-2009 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have an firebird boiler ,its 3yers old lots of black smoke was coming out of to flue,so i cleanned it out .The baffles were covered in black soot which explains the black smoke ,it soot free now.I also checked the burner it seems fine.The problem is it wont heat the water in the tank the rads are fine but no hot water .Its has a pressure pot which was put in about a year and half ago so its fairly new,plumming wise ,an suggestions why theirs no hot water ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭wee bey

Hi,
    If the boiler is heating the radiators but not the cylinder it may just be a balancing problem. If the system is zoned try heating the hot water zone only, forcing all the boilers outpit to the hot water circuit. If its not zoned, this can be done by manually turning off the rads. once you get circulation you can reintroduce the radiator circuit. Also you may have air in the pipes to the coil so hopefully if your plumber fitted manual/automatic air vents you can bleed any air from them. Just a few small checks which may help you out. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mark40

wee bey wrote: »
    Hi,
    If the boiler is heating the radiators but not the cylinder it may just be a balancing problem. If the system is zoned try heating the hot water zone only, forcing all the boilers outpit to the hot water circuit. If its not zoned, this can be done by manually turning off the rads. once you get circulation you can reintroduce the radiator circuit. Also you may have air in the pipes to the coil so hopefully if your plumber fitted manual/automatic air vents you can bleed any air from them. Just a few small checks which may help you out. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for info ill try it out now

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

if it is zoned one of your motorised valves is probably gone. do you have a system where you can only heat hot water. from the time clock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

mark40 wrote: »
    I have an firebird boiler ,its 3yers old lots of black smoke was coming out of to flue,so i cleanned it out .The baffles were covered in black soot which explains the black smoke ,it soot free now.I also checked the burner it seems fine.The problem is it wont heat the water in the tank the rads are fine but no hot water .Its has a pressure pot which was put in about a year and half ago so its fairly new,plumming wise ,an suggestions why theirs no hot water ?

First of all, the black smoke causes the black soot - not the other way around :D. The burner still probably needs to be adjusted - Although if the boiler had not been serviced for a few years, enough deposit could have built up to block the flueways and cause it to burn badly - cleaning may have sorted this. The hot water problem might be just that there is not enough water in the system and air in that circuit. The hot water circuit is often the first effected.
    Jim.

I turned off all the rads and hey pressdo,hot water.Do i just turn on each rad straight away while letting more water into the system,to get it back working properly?

• Advertisement

I would say, top up the system and check for air.
    Jim.

JamesM wrote: »
    I would say, top up the system and check for air.
    Jim.
    Well thats it ,job done.Thanks to ye lot ;).Now ill be able to go to the pub with the money ye saved me,(and watch MUNSTER WIN) CHEERS:D

Well thats it ,job done.Thanks to ye lot ;).Now ill be able to go to the pub with the money ye saved me,(and watch MUNSTER WIN) CHEERS:D

That's great ! I would still say, keep an eye on the flue outlet - anything other than white condensation, and the boiler will soot up again :eek:
    Jim.

That's great ! I would still say, keep an eye on the flue outlet - anything other than white condensation, and the boiler will soot up again :eek:
    Jim.
    Will do jim cheers

Jim.
    Well james you were wright the soot and black smoke are back ,its also cutting out at thermostat.It working when i reset it.Any ideas how to fix it?please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Your'e nozzle could be worn(happens more often with kerosene)

As it wears,the oil pressure will drop,causing the oil to spray in bigger

droplets instead of a fine mist.

Have a look at the rating plate and see what you need.

If you replace it with a different size,you will need to readjust the pessure

for a clean burn.

Well james you were wright the soot and black smoke are back ,its also cutting out at thermostat.It working when i reset it.Any ideas how to fix it?please.

The coating of soot is probably causing the boiler to overheat - that's the thermostat problem.
    The soot is caused by incorrect air oil mixture. Maybe you increased the oil pressure - turned the screw ? (The screw should have half the cone shape showing). Opening the air shutter might clean up the flame, but you really need an expert to set it up.
    Jim.
    How did I write that after all the hot whiskeys I needed after Croke Park :D

The coating of soot is probably causing the boiler to overheat - that's the thermostat problem.
    The soot is caused by incorrect air oil mixture. Maybe you increased the oil pressure - turned the screw ? (The screw should have half the cone shape showing). Opening the air shutter might clean up the flame, but you really need an expert to set it up.
    Jim.
    How did I write that after all the hot whiskeys I needed after Croke Park :D
    Iv cleaned it out again,ill check the oil pressure tomo,i think you've hit the nail on the head,cause i was at it awhile back.Anyhow come on ireland what a win even though the ref was blind (J.P PIETERSON WITH HIS DIRTY TACKELS):mad:

Advertisement