Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

there should be a national day of commemoration for the famine victims.
    it's a disgrace that there is not.

do something about it then......

you can start by opening a thread......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

do something about it then......

you can start by opening a thread......

what about a nation day of fasting?
    or perhaps feasting?

i think i'll email Enda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

gurramok wrote: »
    Any commemorations planned? Perhaps fundraising using a symbol?
    if a statue is a symbol ,yes,ministers have expressed support for the commeration hailing glasgow city councils decision to erect a monument to AN GORTA MOR [the great hunger] as a tragic period in irelands and scotlands history, and if you wish to find out what happened to those who were lucky enough to escape the irish famine and get to england,you need to go no further than the worlds irish heritage centre[no its not in ireland] its in manchester,there are also a number of statues and monumonts put up by the irish community around the country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I, for one, would never have associated Boyle Co. Roscommon with the concept of progress:
    TD wears 'symbolic' poppy in Dáil

An Irish Government TD has said he wore a poppy to the Dáil today to show that remembering the Irish war dead is no longer off limits.

Frank Feighan, who called last week for a joint British-Irish approach to commemorating the First World War, is the first TD to make the gesture for 16 years.

“We have well and truly moved on from that dark, bloody era in the North before the evolution of the peace process – a time when the politics of fear and divisiveness tore apart communities living side by side,” he said.

“Thankfully, the peace dividend has delivered a new politics which has allowed us to publicly respect all traditions on this island.

“This politics of inclusiveness has also allowed us to publicly revisit some aspects of our past which up to recently were off limits. That includes the countless Irish men who fought and died in the Great Wars.”

Mr Feighan, chair of the British-Irish Parliamentary Assembly, is the first TD to wear a poppy to the Dáil since 1996 when Labour’s Emmet Stagg, and Fine Gael TDs Paddy Harte and Brian Hayes set the example.

He said he wore the poppy as a symbolic gesture to remember the war dead and to illustrate how the politics of engagement and not war is the only way forward in solving seemingly intractable conflicts.

Mr Feighan represents Roscommon-Leitrim and his home town of Boyle was a barracks base for the Connaught Rangers.

About 50,000 Irish men who enlisted for the First World War died.

Some 31,500 of John Redmond’s National Volunteers joined the war effort. Around 26,000 unionists from the north and south of Ireland also enlisted.

The Irish Government this year pardoned about 5,000 soldiers branded deserters and blacklisted for fighting for the Allies against Nazi Germany in the Second World War.

“Sadly, it is only in recent years that the stories of many of these brave Irish men have been recognised,” Mr Feighan said.

“Indeed, many of the WWII veterans that returned to Ireland were treated not just with hostility but were persecuted by official Ireland, and had their employment, pay and pension rights affected.

“For me, wearing the poppy in the Dáil is a symbolic gesture to not only recognise the Irish men who fought in the Great Wars but to illustrate how the politics of engagement and not war is the only way forward in solving seemingly intractable conflicts.”

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/td-wears-symbolic-poppy-in-dail-573173.html

Interesting that he didn't go for the green one. Wonder how that'll go down with his local constituents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Cool_CM wrote: »
    I, for one, would never have associated Boyle Co. Roscommon with the concept of progress:

Interesting that he didn't go for the green one. Wonder how that'll go down with his local constituents.

As long as he fixes the road, they probably don't care what he wears.

• Advertisement

what about a nation day of fasting?
    or perhaps feasting?

i think i'll email Enda.

well, i think it would be good to start with national rememberence day.....

when a period of silence would be observed......one or two minutes perhaps.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They can combine famine remembrance with the Gathering, and none of the visitors will be able to eat anything because the eateries will have shoved up the prices so much as to make food unaffordable.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They can combine famine remembrance with the Gathering, and none of the visitors will be able to eat anything because the eateries will have shoved up the prices so much as to make food unaffordable.

i detect a tone of frustration......and i agree with you...

yes, ireland needs a good shakedown.....and face the real world.....

but i do hope that some recognition of the famines victims is called for in the future.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

getz wrote: »
    if a statue is a symbol ,yes,ministers have expressed support for the commeration hailing glasgow city councils decision to erect a monument to AN GORTA MOR [the great hunger] as a tragic period in irelands and scotlands history, and if you wish to find out what happened to those who were lucky enough to escape the irish famine and get to england,you need to go no further than the worlds irish heritage centre[no its not in ireland] its in manchester,there are also a number of statues and monumonts put up by the irish community around the country

I always knew there was a culture vulture lurking behind that ruthless exterior. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Hilly Bill wrote: »

So is football, but i bet you wouldnt have an issue wearing one of their football clubs shirts.

Don't follow football :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Cool_CM wrote: »

Interesting that he didn't go for the green one. .............

Its what you'd expect from a blueshirt, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Nodin wrote: »
    Its what you'd expect from a blueshirt, tbh.
    blue shirt in being a west brit shocker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Any thoughts in remembering our heroes who freed us from British rule in the War of Independence?

Any thoughts in remembering our heroes who freed us from British rule in the War of Independence?

i thought that was covered in the easter parade......

i am open to correction...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I see Craig Doyle wears one when he is presenting the rugby league...Douche.

i thought that was covered in the easter parade......

i am open to correction...

Do you have any thoughts considering you are British? (well your kids are and you come across as such http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81564719&postcount=614 )

Do you have any thoughts considering you are British? (well your kids are and you come across as such http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81564719&postcount=614 )

i am as irish as any other irishman.....

yes, my children are british, and i have lived in the uk for most of my life...

and my loyalty is first to my children...

i left ireland as soon as i was old enough to do so....but i still have an irish passport....with no intentions of changing to any other....

i did not read your link.......i never read links.....

this is a discussion forum......not an information department....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Remmy wrote: »
    I see Craig Doyle wears one when he is presenting the rugby league...Douche.

How so? Perhaps his grandfather fought and died in WW1? Who are you to judge him?

i did not read your link.......i never read links.....

this is a discussion forum......not an information department....

Jaysus forbid you learn something....

Jaysus forbid you learn something....

what is available to one....is available to all...

with a personal choice to ignore it......as it is written by another human being, it will naturally have a bias.....

i am old enough to know that, and clever enough to make my own choices....

any more personal rants....????

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    How so? Perhaps his grandfather fought and died in WW1? Who are you to judge him?

...and for the christ knows what time, the funds for the poppy go to British ex-service personell, who have served in a host of occupations from Asia to the middle east. If he wants to remember his ancestors, he can get a poppy out of a florist.

i am as irish as any other irishman.....

yes, my children are british, and i have lived in the uk for most of my life...

and my loyalty is first to my children...

i left ireland as soon as i was old enough to do so....but i still have an irish passport....with no intentions of changing to any other....

Do you teach your children some Irish history considering there is feck all of it taught in British schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭WanabeOlympian

Hard to say whether I would wear one or not. I know so many Irish men and women put their lives in danger to fight evil during WWII. They had courage and fought for good. We should be proud of them for this and appreciate we are free from an evil dictator because of their actions.

However I think the poppy here is loaded with politics. I think it would be really cool to have our own symbol we could wear that remembers all Irish people who were in Irish army and other armies, maybe a green poppy? haha I don't know, just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Do you teach your children some Irish history considering there is feck all of it taught in British schools?
    I wouldn't if I was him. It's bad enough that we here are all subjected to the distorted, biased and incomplete moan fest that is Irish history as taught in this country.

It is very evident that many people have only the simplest version of Irish history in their minds: Essentially the English oppressed us for 600/800/850 years and then we got our glorious freedom in 1916 or around that time.

The tabloid version of Irish history. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

If he wants to remember his ancestors, he can get a poppy out of a florist.

Or he can support ex Irish servicemen/their widows and get a Poppy from the Irish Poppy Appeal fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

the funds for the poppy go to British ex-service personell,

That's not strictly true. The money goes to to British Legion that helps mostly ex-soldiers and their families. They don't go around giving out cash, but help them retrain, reintegrate and such. They also help their families if their loved ones get injured or are killed. Not by giving cash, but practical support.

On a personal level I've only good things to say about the RBL. My grandfather on my mothers side was in the RAF in WWII and after he died in the 80's my grandmother found great comfort in her local British Legion centre. They provided a place for her and others like her to go to chat, play bridge, help organise excursions and took them shopping in their minibus to help keep them independent and active.

If I saw a tin I'd throw in a few quid based on the help they gave my gran, but I'd never wear a poppy here. I try not to make myself a target wherever possible.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Or he can support ex Irish servicemen/their widows and get a Poppy from the Irish Poppy Appeal fund.

...but as they were involved in the same Imperial enterprises, I'm not seeing that as any better. This isn't about what nationality is listed on a birth cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭john why

Roy keane has one on now. ah well he's from cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Curious as you constantly harp on about Remembrance, sacrifice of millions etc. Do you also have the same affection for the victims of The Famine of your own country?
    Uneqivocally yes. Although through the emigration that followed the world benefited greatly from an Irish diaspora.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

bluecode wrote: »
    I wouldn't if I was him. It's bad enough that we here are all subjected to the distorted, biased and incomplete moan fest that is Irish history as taught in this country.

It is very evident that many people have only the simplest version of Irish history in their minds: Essentially the English oppressed us for 600/800/850 years and then we got our glorious freedom in 1916 or around that time.

The tabloid version of Irish history. :mad:

So how would you teach Irish history? Completely ignore what has happened to this island because it doesn't fit your narrowminded myopic view?

Advertisement