Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Familysearch.org Photoduplication Service - Free scans of records!

• 07-03-2013 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I know from previous posts on here that there are some big problems with accessing LDS Family History Centres in Ireland, so hopefully this might help.

Earlier this year Familysearch announced that they were opening up their photoduplication service to email requests.

So if you send them detailed information about a particular record you want, and they have the microfilm, then they will email you a high quality scan of the page with the relevant record.

You have to send very specific info: You MUST include the Film or Fiche number, item number, Name of Individual you are researching, Title of record and name of parents, spouse, grantor, grantee, etc, Event type (Birth, Death or Marriage), Complete event date and place, Parish and volume or page number and registration or Certificate Number, and state or country of origin and any other information that will be helpful in locating your record.

I tried with one request to see if they would do it even though I have a couple of Family History Centres near me.

I emailed them with a request on 6 Feb and got a brilliant scan of a Co. Laois parish register page yesterday, via email.

So even if you can't make it to the NLI/National Archives etc.. either and have the exact date of a record then you can get a scan via email as long as the LDS Family History Library has the microfilm.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Seems too good to be true :)

Time to test !

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Ponster, you might know already but the Center for Jewish History, just off Union Square, is an approved FHC.

Usually much quieter, they do 3 hour blocks, and if there is no one booked on the micro machine after you then you can stay as long as you want.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Sounds great but is that a whole month time lag between request and fulfillment? I'm not knocking something free but most of the time I'm willing to pay €4 to have it in a few days.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yeah the wait for that record was a month.

I'd be the same myself, would rather spend if it's a small amount and have it quicker.

But if you live out in the boonies or money is tight or you really don't want to give your money to RootsIreland (if you have the date, of course) then it's a plus.

I forgot to mention that you can do a max of 5 per month. They must have hired a former GRO staff member :D

Ponster, you might know already but the Center for Jewish History, just off Union Square, is an approved FHC.

Usually much quieter, they do 3 hour blocks, and if there is no one booked on the micro machine after you then you can stay as long as you want.

Jackpot!

Thanks for that I guessed that there was one here somewhere but never had time to check it out as was still getting settled until recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

This is good news as I have no access to a LDS Centre, thanks.

I am not quite clear whether you still have to use the Request for Photocopies form ot just email the details directly.

Also I found some NY death records on the Italian Genealogical website, will FS be able to scan those records?

I just put all the required info into an email and that seemed to work fine.

You'll need to see if the LDS library catalogue has the relevant microfilm for the record you want. If they have the film, then you are sorted.

Alternatively, you can apply to the NYC Municipal Archives, but you'll have to shell out some greenbacks.
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vitalrecords/home.shtml

I see it's $7.50 to order a film and the Irish civil records are often 1 film per year. I'm going to have to do a LOT of research to figure out what I need to order.

Thanks again for the link to the Catalogue references, Coolnabacky. I have found a film # for a range for Death Certs so I have sent my email request and fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jaguar240

Great info, does anybody know of a site to get info Marriages/Deaths for New Jersey

• Advertisement

Jaguar240 wrote: »
    Great info, does anybody know of a site to get info Marriages/Deaths for New Jersey

Your best bet is familysearch.org, they have indexes for NJ BMDs. Go into the United States section and scroll down to New Jersey.

The New Jersey State Archives website also has select databases for NJ 19th century vital records that cover some decades.

Do you know if there are any FHC centers in the city that already have the Irish civil microfilms on extended loan ?

The Manhattan FHC has a list of onsite films on their blog and they seem to have a lot from Ireland so you might get some joy with that.

http://nynyfhc.blogspot.com/

Update! FamilySearch requires you to use the form on the link above when ordering the photocopies.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

montgo wrote: »
    Update! FamilySearch requires you to use the form on the link above when ordering the photocopies.

They want you to attach the form and e-mail it to them?

RGM wrote: »
    They want you to attach the form and e-mail it to them?
    "A new form is in the process of being created but in the interim please use the old form. It is imperative that the information be sent to us on the form (link is at bottom of the instruction page for the form) and that only five items per request per month be submitted."
    Yes, above is the message that I received from them.

You'll need to see if the LDS library catalogue has the relevant microfilm for the record you want. If they have the film, then you are sorted.

Coolnabacky, Can you advise? I am trying to find the microfilm numbers on the Catalogue link above of Death records (from Italiangen) for the Manhattan area. However, there appears to be no listings at all for Manhattan.

I had no problem locating the film # for Brooklyn deaths.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tanoralover

This sounds like a fantastic service but I'm a little confused about what information the scan would contain. For example, would a scan of a record from the Civil Registration Indexes tell you any more information than is already available on the website? Or would a scan from the "Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898" collection tell you the birthplaces of the spouses?

Also, has anybody tried using the service to get Valuation lists?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Any images of the index would show the same details as the books - so name, registration district, volume and page numbers plus the year and quarter.

Images of registers would show the same details as research certs - so a marriage record would show current places of residence of the bride and groom (not necessarily the same as place of birth)

Montgo,

Sorry about the delay in responding. Here they are.

• Advertisement

Montgo,

Sorry about the delay in responding. Here they are.

That's great. Many thanks.

I'm bumping this thread as Dick Eastman was highlighting the LDS/Familysearch free look up and scan service on his blog today.
    http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2013/11/have-you-used-the-familysearch-free-lookup-service.html

It really is a hidden gem and could be very useful for Irish based researchers and those doing Irish genealogy in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 chocvine11

montgo wrote: »
    That's great. Many thanks.
    photoduplication service,does this mean you can get an exact copy of original cert,birth,death,or marriage , as I do not live GRO it would be a great help.It helps to know if person named can read or write

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

chocvine11 wrote: »
    photoduplication service,does this mean you can get an exact copy of original cert,birth,death,or marriage , as I do not live GRO it would be a great help.It helps to know if person named can read or write

Only for the very limited years where they have the full records. GRO can send certs by post. There's no records of ability to read or write on certs - even a "his/her mark" doesn't mean they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 chocvine11

I have a number of birth dates that range from 1858
    the father name is the same the address is the same.
    The mothers first name is the same but some of the letters of second name are not the same example Redington Reddington,Levington,Revington all have a X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I know from previous posts on here that there are some big problems with accessing LDS Family History Centres in Ireland, so hopefully this might help.

Earlier this year Familysearch announced that they were opening up their photoduplication service to email requests.

So if you send them detailed information about a particular record you want, and they have the microfilm, then they will email you a high quality scan of the page with the relevant record.

You have to send very specific info: You MUST include the Film or Fiche number, item number, Name of Individual you are researching, Title of record and name of parents, spouse, grantor, grantee, etc, Event type (Birth, Death or Marriage), Complete event date and place, Parish and volume or page number and registration or Certificate Number, and state or country of origin and any other information that will be helpful in locating your record.

I tried with one request to see if they would do it even though I have a couple of Family History Centres near me.

I emailed them with a request on 6 Feb and got a brilliant scan of a Co. Laois parish register page yesterday, via email.

So even if you can't make it to the NLI/National Archives etc.. either and have the exact date of a record then you can get a scan via email as long as the LDS Family History Library has the microfilm.

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but just for clarification please. Familysearch has thrown up a record which might be relevant for me, it only has a GS film number. Re. your quote above, can I see this microfilm in NAI and NLI?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Sorry to bring up this old thread, but just for clarification please. Familysearch has thrown up a record which might be relevant for me, it only has a GS film number. Re. your quote above, can I see this microfilm in NAI and NLI?

what type of record is it .. can you post a link ?

Actually I just checked and I've two records, both death records Antrim and Dublin, one is a GS film number and the other is an FHL film number. One of them might be my g.grandfather. Sorry can't give any more details, we don't want to be famous on the internet. :o

The films are available through FamilySearch, and contents include a number of different sources for Ireland - e.g. Civil BMD Index records, some Civil Registers, RC & CofI parish records, Presbyterian records etc. You could try searching the FamilySearch Catalog to try to work out what type of source is involved for these...and see if there's an alternative available in the NLI, NAI, GRO etc. see : here

If you guy died in N.I. after 1864 you could try the civil records online at GRONI, and/or the Will Calendar entries at PRONI

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for that. Appreciate it.

Advertisement