Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

axle108 wrote: »
    Get a grip on this.

The 2009 Commission on Taxation suggested that houses valued between €150,000 and €300,000 should be levied with a property tax of €563. John Fitzgerald of the Economic and Social Research Institute (the government’s semi-official economic think-tank) has said that the new taxes should be as high as €1300 per annum on the average household.
    page 102 in this thread and it is an interesting page.

It is an act. If you get the bill send it back unopened and write on the back no contract. get a proof of postage when sending it back.
    If you pay this 100 euro then you have legally entered into a binding contract, forcing you to pay up future payments. That is why this introduction offer is so low,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Potatoeman wrote: »
    The first question I ask anyone that says they are not paying is did you vote for fianna fáil? If yes pay up as they caused this mess. Did you vote for fianna gael? If yes pay up as this is how tax get collected when taxes are not raised.

Don't sicken me with your party politics. All Irish parties are the same, just trying to get their own corrupt cronies in power and sticky fingers in the jampot instead.

This is about the Irish people standing up for what is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Don't sicken me with your party politics. All Irish parties are the same, just trying to get their own corrupt cronies in power and sticky fingers in the jampot instead.

This is about the Irish people standing up for what is right.

It's about people not wanting to pay. That's why FG got into power. SF and ULA are saying they will bring in a wealth tax which is exactly what a property tax is. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Anita M. wrote: »

It is an act. If you get the bill send it back unopened and write on the back no contract. get a proof of postage when sending it back.
    If you pay this 100 euro then you have legally entered into a binding contract, forcing you to pay up future payments. That is why this introduction offer is so low,

Great idea from someone on the link on page 103-http://www.facebook.com/#!/permalink...44762212234425

Have every St Patricks day parade "sabotaged" by an Anti Household Charge float!! - Classic, and beam it around the world!!

Enda and Phil- wouldnt lil ol Ireland look well then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

K-9 wrote: »

Why it's neccesary to attach a charge? Not a new thing. Debts are attached to property as a matter of routine, moreso these days.

As I said earlier property taxes have failed here twice and once in the UK. It's not common to levy a tax on your home in most developed countries. England's poll tax is such an example.

So yeah, it's not a new thing. But its some thing that we can say doesn't work and hasn't worked here.

If the government want a council tax then let's have it. A properly regulated system where money isn't spent on the black hole of PS pensions and poorly performing systems.

Without accountability and responsibility this new tax will be seen as a sham by visitors from other countries and act as a barrier to job creation by raising the cost of living for potential employees.

It's a non runner. It always has been a non runner and until the Government get their shit together and sort themselves out it always will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

donalg1 wrote: »
    I am not here to convert anyone, I am here to offer my opinion only. I have never once advised anyone to pay it or not to pay it as it is up to them what they do with their own money. I would not for a second tell anyone what to do with their money unlike the anti brigade.

You offered your opinion but your still here fighting your points across, looks to me like you really want people to pay this tax, why I have no idea.

Can you not see that your loosing? The majority rules so you can say what you want but people are not going to pay this and its that simple. You go and pay it with your buddies, we will be the ones laughing when your paying a grand next year.

Donal are you in government?? I find it amazing, your supporting this stupid tax like mad! Get the message people are paying out enough already and everyone knows that this new tax will jump way beyond €2 a week very soon

By the way Donal I never said people should not pay taxes, this is the reason why you where unable to quote me.

Anti people well done again, its important that everyone is proactive with this protest make sure you tell everyone your not paying.

Shush and please don't try patronise me. As I have stated on numerous occasions this thread is about the household charge which is €100 so that is what's being discussed here. So when that changes we will discuss the new levels then as it is quite hard to talk about something when you only have imaginary figures to go on.

Ok so do you understand? Doubtful that you do but sure hey!!!

The blindness is unreal

You still do not get it, we are not fighting this over a po$% €2 charge please get this into your head, we are fighting this law as it will open doors to more taxes and these will rocket to outer space!!

The household charge is the red flag to the bull this is why it needs to be put down now before the damage is done therefore dont register dont pay!!

steve9859 wrote: »
    So are people going to pay this thing or not??

No Steve, im not anyway and 95% of the country have not paid it yet either, check the polls above and look at the anger in government and public this is causing... so think before you consider signing an agreement that may cost you a substantial amount in the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

squod wrote: »
    As I said earlier property taxes have failed here twice and once in the UK. It's not common to levy a tax on your home in most developed countries. England's poll tax is such an example.

So yeah, it's not a new thing. But its some thing that we can say doesn't work and hasn't worked here.

Property taxes failed because of political opportunism, the exact same thing you are complaining about!

Sorry for using logic!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Mr CJ wrote: »
    No Steve, im not anyway and 95% of the country have not paid it yet either, check the polls above and look at the anger in government and public this is causing... so think before you consider signing an agreement that may cost you a substantial amount in the next few years

People are not going to pay straight away. These taxes get paid nearer the time.

• Advertisement

Rocket19 wrote: »
    I'm sure plenty of the people who oppose the household tax are not opposing it simply because they can't afford the extra €100.
    Obviously on its own, €100 isn't much, but don't you see that for the mostpart, it's the principle of being forced to contribute money towards something we shouldn't be paying for? I'd like to think that people would oppose this tax regardless of whether they're in a position to afford it or not.

I'm sure for a lot of people who are already breaking their backs trying to repay debt, look after their familes, send their kids to college, etc, it is highly offensive for some people to imply that everyone can afford it - "sure it's only €2 a week". But I'd say for many, it's just yet another tax that's being added to their burden. Some people budget to fcuk, and they still come up short, so who is anyone to imply that everyone can afford it.

Not everyone who resents this is being "cheap". The household tax and peoples' opposition to it has (imo) become a microcosm for peoples' feelings about this entire mess and how we're being fcucked., over and over again. What's wrong with taking a stand against that, even if it's just a start??? The actual cheek of people to say "it's only €100". My parents are v. comfortable financially, yet they still oppose it. No-one should be paying this.
    (rant wasn't really directed at you btw!)

Fantastic I agree 110% it is not €2 a week god sake you will find this on the street in a few days if you look hard! We want of the rollercoaster the ride has been long enough we are sick of it and im sure rocket and I speak on behalf of the majority of the population (the ones that are not afraid to make a stand)

I have said this over and over again, if the government see that they have not got a chance they will look into alternatives, where there's a will there's a way. Just because there may appear to be an easy solution to something does not make it the right one.

People are not going to pay straight away. These taxes get paid nearer the time.

Not this time!!

This thing has caused to much outrage, there are professional people many of them who has paid everything all there lives myself included even from financial controllers to post men, they say the same thing "im not paying"

People who are saying ah we will all end up paying it..... no we wont!!! Look at the water charges? everyone said no there was mass objections to this and the people won!!

Everyone needs to understand there is power in numbers, the government are people like you and I if we stick and stand together this tax will be abolished and this is a FACT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Mr CJ wrote: »
    I am not here to convert anyone, I am here to offer my opinion only. I have never once advised anyone to pay it or not to pay it as it is up to them what they do with their own money. I would not for a second tell anyone what to do with their money unlike the anti brigade.

You offered your opinion but your still here fighting your points across, looks to me like you really want people to pay this tax, why I have no idea.

Can you not see that your loosing? The majority rules so you can say what you want but people are not going to pay this and its that simple. You go and pay it with your buddies, we will be the ones laughing when your paying a grand next year.

Donal are you in government?? I find it amazing, your supporting this stupid tax like mad! Get the message people are paying out enough already and everyone knows that this new tax will jump way beyond €2 a week very soon

By the way Donal I never said people should not pay taxes, this is the reason why you where unable to quote me.

Anti people well done again, its important that everyone is proactive with this protest make sure you tell everyone your not paying.

I couldn't care less if people pay it or not I have only ever said I will pay it because it's the law and I don't feel that I can pick and choose the taxes or charges I pay.

I may even agree this tax is stupid and there would have been far better ways to raise 160m but unfortunately I can only discuss the household charge as it is now.

I also fail to see how I could be "losing" as i can't see how there are any winners. Those that pay are down a hundred quid those that don't have a charge registered against their property so everyone loses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

That arguement has been disproved. By all means dont pay if you oppose it, that is your right but the idea thqat only the laws you like apply to you has been disproved here and is not used by the anti-charge protesters.

When the household charge is replaced by the property tax and every household has the site valuation I wouldnt imagine the property tax will be self declaration maybe I am wrong but I can see them really chasing people on the property tax more so than the household charge, I think this has been introduced to appease the EU/IMF for now so I would imagine those that dont pay this wont actually end up in court will probably be forgotten about in a couple of years with the introduction of the property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Taxes are not optional, so this question is not relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Geuze wrote: »
    Taxes are not optional, so this question is not relevant.

D'oh! You're telling me no one over here or in the rest of the world uses tax avoidance measures?? lol.

Jaysus people spend half their lives in Portugal and the like just to save a few bob.

People employ special accountants to avoid taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,386 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's about people not wanting to pay. That's why FG got into power. SF and ULA are saying they will bring in a wealth tax which is exactly what a property tax is. :rolleyes:

We won't pay that either. We're poor.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Only 75000 have paid - http://www.moneyguideireland.com/how-many-people-have-paid-the-household-charge.html

Those leaflets should be on the way soon.

I'm tring to sell my house - so I will be paying to avoid any hassle when (if) I ever sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Ogham wrote: »
    Only 75000 have paid - http://www.moneyguideireland.com/how-many-people-have-paid-the-household-charge.html

Those leaflets should be on the way soon.

I'm tring to sell my house - so I will be paying to avoid any hassle when (if) I ever sell.

A mass leafleting campaign is expected in the first half of February – with a Household Charge leaflet being delivered to every home in Ireland.

I'll keep a look out for migrant workers being paid below the minimum wage to deliver these leaflets so. We'll see how much respect the government pays to it's own laws!!!

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    I'll keep a look out for migrant workers being paid below the minimum wage to deliver these leaflets so. We'll see how much respect the government pays to it's own laws!!!

Chances are they will be delivered by a postman as with most post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

They're the only ones who know where all the houses are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

a wealth tax which is exactly what a property tax is. :rolleyes:

Property = wealth.

Glad to know that Anglo-Irish bank is still worth billions.

Oh hold on a minute...

(The genius thinking that generated the property bubble is thus deemed to be the genius means to get us out of recession!)

And by genius I mean retarded, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Property is not the same as wealth, if it's mortgaged.

Equity = wealth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

lividduck wrote: »
    That arguement has been disproved. By all means dont pay if you oppose it, that is your right but the idea thqat only the laws you like apply to you has been disproved here and is not used by the anti-charge protesters.
    in other words you disaprove and so should everyone else? like I stated it is NOT A LAW and you can send the bill back unopened with proof of postage. NO CONTRACT!
    Do not bin the bill as silence is approval. Just send back and openly refuse to contract them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

in other words you disaprove and so should everyone else? like I stated it is NOT A LAW and you can send the bill back unopened with proof of postage. NO CONTRACT!
    Do not bin the bill as silence is approval. Just send back and openly refuse to contract them.

There will be no bill sent out this year. It is a self registration process just like the NPPR (second homes) €200 tax. 340,000 are paying that without getting a bill this last three years and I never heard of any legal challenge to the system. The ones who did not register and pay now owe €2000 rising by €60 every month instead of just paying €600 to date. If any of these owners of multiple properties try to sell the conveyancing process will recover the unpaid charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

How can that be right, how would everyone know about the charge?
    I know it's much hyped but there will always be those with their head in the sand, surely they would have to be notified in some way about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ogham wrote: »
    They're the only ones who know where all the houses are :)

Luckily he was at my local anti-household tax meeting the last night.
    Hi Mick, if you are reading. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

First , I do not disapprove, I fully support the right of people to protest. Absolutley, no issue there.
    However, whether you like it or not it IS the law, even those leading the anti property tax campaign accept that it is the law, and no amount of half baked phiosophical sphistry will change that.
    Protest by all means, argue you case (Which has some validity) but depend on sillyness to convince others when you actually have better substantive arguements you can use.

• Advertisement

We won't pay that either. We're poor.:rolleyes:

That's a subjective view of poverty. People that are actually poor don't own property. People that bought property that they can't afford now are bad financial planners.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement