Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis - useful information for passengers, drivers and others

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fuinseog wrote: »
    when does the fare begin? once you enter the cab or once the cab moves off. if for example you sit into the cab and suddenly realise that you get an uncomfortable vibe do you still have to pay the basic rate?
    I imagine msot drivers won't have a problem if they haven't pulled off yet. Claiming you forgot your wallet solves most of the rest. :)
    Aard wrote: »
    What's the story if the driver forgets to start the meter altogether? A few weeks ago, I was brought to my destination while having a grand chat and he notices he forgot to set the meter. He said €12 is 'probably' what it costs. I offered him €10 as it's usually around that. He seemed OK with that.

Legally speaking, was I obliged to pay any fare all? (Of course, even if I wasn't I'd still have offered the €10 as that's what I'd been prepared to pay from the outset.)
    It has to be on the meter. It was the driver's responsibility. He might have been able to insist on the minimum fare of ~€4.50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

kajo wrote: »
    Please remember its against the law to refuse to pay a taxi or a hackney fare.
    If you are unhappy with the fare get a receipt and contact the taxi regulator and not the garda as the garda do not deal with this kind of complaint.
    Never refuse to pay the fare the garda will arrest you for not paying the fare if they are called even if you feel you are getting over charged.

Coming home from a night out, I've found a taxi cost can fluctuate by up to 10E. The conditions are always the same:
    - roughly the same time of night (never any traffic on the road)
    - always alone (I'm working on it ;))

Presumably, the more expensive trips mean the driver's been tampering with the meter? What do I do?

I've heard that a printed receipt gives all of the journey's details but what happens if the driver says he doesn't have any paper in the machine or can't issue receipts for whatever reason (is it possible some don't have them or they can be broken?)

If the driver can't/won't give you a receipt, a friend suggested that you can ask them to take you to a police station, where a Garda can write a receipt but I'm not sure they'd be so keen on you wasting their time?

If anyone knows for sure, I'd be really grateful to hear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Coming home from a night out, I've found a taxi cost can fluctuate by up to 10E. The conditions are always the same:

Presumably, the more expensive trips mean the driver's been tampering with the meter? What do I do?

I've heard that a printed receipt gives all of the journey's details but what happens if the driver says he doesn't have any paper in the machine or can't issue receipts for whatever reason (is it possible some don't have them or they can be broken?)

If the driver can't/won't give you a receipt, a friend suggested that you can ask them to take you to a police station, where a Garda can write a receipt but I'm not sure they'd be so keen on you wasting their time?

If the printer or meter does not work for any reason the taxi should not be in service.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If the printer or meter does not work for any reason the taxi should not be in service.

What should a passenger do in that instance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

What should a passenger do in that instance?

First and foremost, in any taxi always note the vehicles license or plate number the minute you get in, maybe dial it onto your keypad.

If the service is not up to scratch, like in the instance outlined, report it to the taxi regulator.

If more people reported chancers something might be done about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Its the worse thing about driving a taxi. As soon as things dont appear right, people immediately assume the driver is up to something dodgy. Funny how people dont worry about spending quite a bit of money over the bar yet want to argue about 6 euro on the way home.

I have no idea how a driver would tamper with a meter while driving. A driver is always supposed to give you the receipt. 99.9% dont want it. If ever in doubt make him/her take you to the police station.

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Its the worse thing about driving a taxi. As soon as things dont appear right, people immediately assume the driver is up to something dodgy. Funny how people dont worry about spending quite a bit of money over the bar yet want to argue about 6 euro on the way home.

I have no idea how a driver would tamper with a meter while driving. A driver is always supposed to give you the receipt. 99.9% dont want it. If ever in doubt make him/her take you to the police station.

Driver may have had a few euros notched up on meter before OP got in.
    Having said that, you are 100% right about people being able to chuck it across the counter all nite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Is it only the License Holder who may actually operate the taxi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Afaik the car must be licenced as a taxi with meter plate and roof sign but anyone with a spsv can drive it as long as they are allowed work in the same areas indicated on the roof sign.

...I have no idea how a driver would tamper with a meter while driving.

With respect, I don't think it's crazy to assume that a driver could tamper with the meter; it's only a piece of technology, after all. While I'm sure that the majority of taxi drivers are honest and decent, there must be a few dodgy ones around. I have no doubt that if someone really wanted to do something to their device they could easily find someone to organise it. Even without tampering with a meter, wouldn't it be possible to just charge for an extra couple of passengers?

Well, given that last time I took the journey the fare was 21E but a few months earlier it had cost me about 32E, I think that my cynicism is justified. Maybe there's an innocent explanation for the discrepancy but certainly not an obvious one.

Regarding spending money behind the bar and arguing about 6 Euro on the way home, I think they're quite different things really! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Afaik the car must be licenced as a taxi with meter plate and roof sign but anyone with a spsv can drive it as long as they are allowed work in the same areas indicated on the roof sign.

Thank you.
    I searched the regulators website but there was scant information on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

A new wheelchair taxi website which allows the user to search for wheelchair accessible transport in their area. http://wheelchairtaxi.ie/

Spread the Word!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 yellowbellie44

im lookin to put a taxi phone in a hotel one that has a sim card and dials me when the receiver is lifted thanks i really need it this week please help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

im lookin to put a taxi phone in a hotel one that has a sim card and dials me when the receiver is lifted thanks i really need it this week please help

So what do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 yellowbellie44

i was loking for the said telephone to buy but iv got one in england thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

There used to be a facility online to check if a car and/or driver was licensed as a PSV.

Anyone have a link? Can't seem to find it

Actually I found it!

https://onlineregister.nationaltransport.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Paudie0796

Does anybody know where I can get DVD for spsv test I am doing it in limerick and am at a dead end questions would also help thanks.

Advertisement