Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Don't write yourself off just yet.
    When I started the job, little over a year ago, I would probably have just glanced over a post like that. But now a year on, alot of it makes sense and is still relevant so I'd say it's still worth everyones while to have these points passed on to the next generation.

And who knows, in another year, it might mean even more again.

Hey Dingdong. Does the video ( page 159 ) make sense now? A year ago you wouldn't have believed bitter lemon and told him that it had to be different..... But it's not. And you've come to see the job for what it really is.
    3 assaults on staff in Cloverhill in the recent past.... And I bet the first question that the Inspector will ask... What did the staff do to antagonise the poor prisoners?
    The Job is gone to Sh1te lads. Simple as .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

480905 wrote: »
    But it's not. And you've come to see the job for what it really is.
    Absolutely, well, maybe. Still alot more for me to see.

Its good to see you're taking in whats happening and watching instead of thinking your way is the only way and thats how it is. Good stuff.... And to those who blame " jail pups" for knowing everything... Some of the best officers I've ever worked with are Jail pups. <SNIP> young lad being one of them. He had a hard act to follow cos of his dad's reputation. No better man beside you when it kicks off..... I've referred to this issue before. Plenty of other gob****es around.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

480905 wrote: »
    Its good to see you're taking in whats happening and watching instead of thinking your way is the only way and thats how it is. Good stuff.... And to those who blame " jail pups" for knowing everything... Some of the best officers I've ever worked with are Jail pups. <SNIP> young lad being one of them. He had a hard act to follow cos of his dad's reputation. No better man beside you when it kicks off..... I've referred to this issue before. Plenty of other gob****es around.

I mentioned jail pups. You didn't read the whole sentence obviously. I said either jail pups or just pups full stop. That covers everyone. So are you trying to say you have never met a know it all jail pup???

I know a couple and I'm barely in the job. So are they it should be pointed out. I also like you, know loads who are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

I know a couple and I'm barely in the job. So are they it should be pointed out. I also like you.....

Ah that's beautiful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

wexfjord wrote: »
    Ah that's beautiful!

Nothing beautiful about bad punctuation

• Registered Users Posts: 45 brigal

Tumbleweed

Nothing beautiful about bad punctuation

True.. but who gives a f&(k.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Quick question - does the Prison Service pay an additional allowance or premium payment to PO's who are fluent Irish speakers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 brigal

Delancey wrote: »
    Quick question - does the Prison Service pay an additional allowance or premium payment to PO's who are fluent Irish speakers ?

If they do it would be fairly retarded! How many prisoners only communicate in Irish? I would hazard a guess of zero, wed be probably better off learning polish and getting an allowance for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

I think there's an allowance for Matties who learn basic English. There is no allowance for gaelgeoirs.

No, there is no allowance for speaking Irish.

Reason I ask is that I've heard that in the past some prisoners who were members of subversive groups often spoke Irish both day-to-day and during visits - PO's who were fluent in Irish tended to supervise these prisoners and their visits.

Forgive my ignorance but what is a ' Mattie ' ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Mattie is the generic term for Laois people. They are given a pay number at birth instead of a PPS number because they all join the job.

I heard a story from the boys in the NIPS that all the stops were pulled out a few years ago to recruit Irish speaking officers so they could monitor the provos calls and visits. They eventually got a female graduate from Queens and stuck her in a room to listen to the boys "as gaeilge".

The first evening all the management wanted to know what they where talking about and she told them "I don't have a clue, that's not Irish they are speaking but some bastardised pigeon Irish they have made up themselves".

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Near_cavan

Evening all!
    As anyone any idea when the physical might be and when possible trainning might start? I've had to to turn down 3 significant opportunities since the January/February interviews and it's really starting to annoy me.
    I spent all of 2011 working towards these opportunities and they are have come to fruition. Now I would rather the prison service but I'm guaranteed nothing in this regard but if I had any idea of potential movements it might help me out a little.

Thanking you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Near_cavan wrote: »
    Evening all!
    As anyone any idea when the physical might be and when possible trainning might start? I've had to to turn down 3 significant opportunities since the January/February interviews and it's really starting to annoy me.
    I spent all of 2011 working towards these opportunities and they are have come to fruition. Now I would rather the prison service but I'm guaranteed nothing in this regard but if I had any idea of potential movements it might help me out a little.

Thanking you in advance.
    YOUR GUESS WOULD BE AS GOOD AS any of ours, the Civil Servise commission are hopeless they could tell you nothing will happen for a year and then it could happen next week , they havent a clue tbh .I think you are mad turning down other jobs , the pay has drastically reduced and say there are more cuts to come too if you get offered any good job I would take it if i were you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Did the Prison Service ever offer an allowance/incriment to officers that posessed a degree or other such qualification? I know the Gardaí used to.

Did the Prison Service ever offer an allowance/incriment to officers that posessed a degree or other such qualification? I know the Gardaí used to.

No, they never had the foresight to recognise skills people have. Most of the management grades years ago never had 3rd level, so if they promoted anyone who had more qualifications ,it would've
    shown up the ineptitude of some.

One of the biggest problems in the job is the amount of people in senior management positions with a lack of an education. We all know that spell check led to mass deforestation of the amazon because it allowed ignorant, stupid men write half sheets without fear of exposing their questionable literacy skills.
    Anyone remember the chief who questioned a lad about "fatty goo" on his sick cert?

Rawhead wrote: »

One of the biggest problems in the job is the amount of people in senior management positions with a lack of an education. We all know that spell check led to mass deforestation of the amazon because it allowed ignorant, stupid men write half sheets without fear of exposing their questionable literacy skills.
    Anyone remember the chief who questioned a lad about "fatty goo" on his sick cert?

Yes, true story. In fairness to the Chief involved, he never half sheeted an officer, he FOOKED you out of it if you made a balls of something.
    Original story is- officer gave reason for USL as " fatigue" , chief didn't know what it meant and asked ... " whats this fattigoo thing"?
    Good chief as they go, last
    of the old breed
    Hard men, great leaders. Not like whats there now.

• Advertisement

If its any consolation I understand the Ambulance Service is something similar - very few senior officers there even have Leaving Certs according to a few paramedics I know.

I don't think having a degree makes a better manager, leaders are more natural. I think that chiefs need leadership skills where as governors need an education. The governors now have to actually manage a budget etc as opposed to just throwing men and OT at it.
    The management style in the job is that any problem can be solved by throwing money at it and if that fails then bullying is the default setting, this is the obvious reactions of uneducated people.
    The three bar's set the tone for a prison. Peterbridge, Davis, Riordan where all natural leaders and acted as a buffer between petty governors and staff. The officers and lags respected them and wouldn't cross them. Davis especially was a "staff first" leader. You'd think I was talking about 30 years ago but its less than 10. You have the odd three bar now who is good but they are in the vast minority and they all play the governors tune instead of setting the tone as chief of security.

Another good man passed yesterday RIP gone way too young Stu :(

Lived life at 100 mph. Genuine Legend. RIP.

Great jail character. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

cordub wrote: »
    Another good man passed yesterday RIP gone way too young Stu :(

"Fcuk You Screw!"

Funny Guy.. RIP Stewie..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

LoanShark wrote: »
    "Fcuk You Screw!"

Funny Guy.. RIP Stewie..

Genuinely laughed at that...

That's him to a tee.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

R.I.P John Greally.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

Absolutely dreadful. 2 gone in the one week that i know of. And a good few in the past year. Its getting to be an epidemic. Its frightening.

• Advertisement

Absolutely dreadful. 2 gone in the one week that i know of. And a good few in the past year. Its getting to be an epidemic. Its frightening.
    The stress of working in the Prison service :(:(:(

Advertisement