Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweetie Pies New Menu

• 13-04-2012 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Went into Sweetie Pies yesterday with boneyarsebogman, to satisfy my guilty pleasure of Bloomer loaf French toast with bacon and maple syrup, and saw that they had vastly changed their menu to a smaller more banal one. There was only soup, sandwiches and some sort of savoury goats cheese tart.

I was genuinely disappointed, as Sweetie Pies was the only place I could get this calorie laden treat. Wrote them an email conveying this.
    Hello,

I am writing with great disappointment in relation to the new menu being implemented in your cafe. Yesterday, a friend and I were in Sweetie Pies, to fill a very specific craving, which up until now your company was able to satisfy. Now before I go off track with compliments about your great products and how much I enjoy them, I really have to emphasise my displeasure at the new and vastly inferior menu now on offer. Unfortunately with your choice to forgo such rare treats as the Bloomer loaf French Toast with bacon and maple syrup, 'The Works', or those sublime waffles whose deliciousness I have not found any place elsewhere in Galway; and now focus solely on soup, sandwiches and savoury tarts, you have resigned yourself to be nothing more special than any conventional cafe in the city. Even the cupcakes, which were always a massive draw for me, seemed uninteresting and the selection was limited.

I write this not as a frustrated adult not able to get his French toast fix on a Thursday afternoon, but as a teenager with a wicked sweet tooth whose occasional trips to Athenry were always distinguished by the stopping off at Sweetie Pies at their humble beginnings, and seeing various members of the Foley family milling about. That's why, when I heard that the franchise had moved into Galway city, I instantly jumped on it and began a blissful love affair, reveling in the broader but no less delicious selection of items, which was always such a special treat from my youth.

With such stiff competition from the likes of the Gourmet tart company on Abbeygate Street, I truly feel that Sweetie Pies can ill afford to overlook one of the most important factors of it's business; the draw of its premises. Many fresh food eateries, the Gourmet Tart Company included, have no place to sit, eat and enjoy. Sweetie Pies has always had an atmosphere that exudes both warmth and comfort, and I have found myself sitting inside for hours with friends. The Amnesty International building itself has always been popular for various reasons, namely its location which is very favourable. I have seen many cafes come and go in that premises over the years, but it wasn't until Sweetie Pies put its own character into the building that it became, in my opinion anyway, such a peaceful and inviting place. Many a time I would sit by the window staring out at Middle Street watching the world go by, as spilt maple syrup dried on the lapel of my shirt, its sweet scent haunting me hours later.

You will forgive me for thinking that a good business model would be to get bums on seats and keep them there. I will testify to not being able to move after a hearty feed at Sweetie Pies, and it was never long before I once again craved the food, atmosphere and unique charm of Sweetie Pies. I wholeheartedly believe that by stripping your menu down to what seems like a bare bones cafe standard, you have done both yourself, and your loyal customers a severe injustice.

I understand that you most likely have your valid reasons for this change, whether they be social, financial or otherwise; but as a long time fan of Sweetie Pies, I just feel it necessary to tell you how disappointed and crestfallen I feel at this stage, no longer having an avenue to appease my frequent guilty pleasure.

Yours with deep dismay,

Ciarán

Anyone else sad to see this change, or am I alone in my greasy sorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Wow.

I'd hate to see that letter you would write if something bad happend to you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

You're right. Anyway, I received an nicely worded email back from them, and now I feel like an arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Never found them much good, stuff was/is awfully overpriced, cupcakes were nothing special or different and recipes always seemed to change so quality varied everytime you got anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

You're right. Anyway, I received an nicely worded email back from them, and now I feel like an arse.

Why? :confused:

Why? :confused:

Because they wrote this back to me
    Hello Ciaran

Firstly, let me thank you for your email as the opionions of our valued customers do matter to us and we do want to hear what you are feeling as there has been so many changes over the past six months.

We did not just strip down our savoury menu on a whim, it was a neccessity because of the nature of the cafe that we are now operating from. The previous menu was highly reliant on a panninni grill which while in our other premises was housed away from our customers with adequate ventilation so as not to affect the customers who only wished to have a lovely smell of homemade cakes as they walked through the door.

However, in this new premises our kitchen is very, very small and the ventilation not good enough to take away the smoke and odours which wafted freely over our delicious cakes. Our main business is in fact our cakes, which is what gets the bums on seats in reality. Cakes is where we started & continues to be our passion & savoury is a very small part of the business. We had to take an overall decision, which we did.

The new food menu is all homemade and fresh which we feel is so much better. Buying in & rehashing foods from big suppliers has in fact never sat well with our ethos. We are a family business Foley & Griffin (sisters) & although you may not see any Foley family members on the floor this is because Maureen is very busy at our production kitchen making the wonderful cakes & truly delicious new savoury menu. I however am on the floor 5 days per week. My sister & I can truly stand over this new menu as completely unlike the other cafes in town, for one thing we are the only ones who truly make make everything without buying in & simply reheating.

We appreciate the competition such as the Gourmet Tart & other cafes but we are a very different concept not at all reliant on the food element. We are Sweetie Pies Cake Cafe & we have seen a marked increase in sales of cakes since we eliminated - the dare I say it - greasy element of our food business.

I would however like to invite you to partake of lunch with us to prove to you that our new menu is in fact just as tasty. We are not trying to be healthy we are simply a cake cafe that wishes to play to our strengths, quality confectionery (lack of choice yesterday was actually due to a electricity failure at the production kitchen - never before happened!!) in a nice friendly atmosphere & with good service. All of which, we feel we do beyond compare to standard cafes.

I am sure very few cafes would evoke such passion which we appreciate & truly if I could magic up a new separate kitchen I would re instate the french toast on our menu for you.

Thanks for your comments & I hope my answers adequately appease your dismay - but do take me up on the offer of lunch - you won't regret it.

Thanks

And I have to respect their swift reply and honesty. I think I did jump to conclusions in the heat of the moment, and should probably sample their new stuff out before making any more assumptions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Funny that cakes are their main thing and I think their cupcakes are incredibly overpriced for what they are. Very nice honest email though.

You should have seen our faces when we read their new menu. Excellent email, RHG!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Acoshla wrote: »
    Funny that cakes are their main thing and I think their cupcakes are incredibly overpriced for what they are.

I'm so with you on that one.

But recession or not, it seems that lots of people aren't. Cupcakes, for whatever reason, appear to be hot, and people are paying ridiculous amounts for 'em.

Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭baldbear

€4 for a cup cake is crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

JustMary wrote: »
    I'm so with you on that one.

But recession or not, it seems that lots of people aren't. Cupcakes, for whatever reason, appear to be hot, and people are paying ridiculous amounts for 'em.

Go figure.

€4 a pint is also ridiculous, but most people have no problem going in and putting away six or seven of them in an evening at least.

€4 for a rare indulgent cupcake that you're realistically not going to be eating more than once a week or thereabouts, if even, is really not so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

They're mad tasty though, a nice treat now and then. I recommend the cola bottle flavour!

7064460683_bf03a0c562_c.jpg
    Cupcakes! by zero86r, on Flickr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I've never enjoyed any of their cakes. They all look amazing but they tend to all taste extremely "meh"...

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

I feel like I've had half a bag of sugar by just looking at those cakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Seaneh wrote: »
    I've never enjoyed any of their cakes. They all look amazing but they tend to all taste extremely "meh"...

Controversial but I tend to think cupcakes are universally "meh"...does anyone actually like that big bloom of butter,sugar and food colouring on the top apart from for appearance purposes? I've never had a cupcake where I haven't had to scrap that off and leave it.

Controversial but I tend to think cupcakes are universally "meh"...does anyone actually like that big bloom of butter,sugar and food colouring on the top apart from for appearance purposes? I've never had a cupcake where I haven't had to scrap that off and leave it.

Ah, yeah, a good ganache or buttercream can be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

It made me laugh when the celtic tiger came that a bun became a cupcake and the price trippled.

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    It made me laugh when the celtic tiger came that a bun became a cupcake and the price trippled.

There is a difference between a bun (fairy/queen cake) and a cupcake.

The texture is entirely different.

Well, in the way Irish/English people make fairycakes and they style of american cupcakes.

Ah, see there's the problem. I too HATE, and I mean hate, butter icing that is used on most cupcakes, and I don't eat anything with that level of colouring in the icing. What you need is a cupcake with a meringue buttercream, or as mentioned ganache, there are loads of different toppings, and no colouring in the icing. I would tell you where you could get them but I don't want to advertise myself and get in trouble ;):D

Ah, see there's the problem. I too HATE, and I mean hate, butter icing that is used on most cupcakes, and I don't eat anything with that level of colouring in the icing. What you need is a cupcake with a meringue buttercream, or as mentioned ganache, there are loads of different toppings, and no colouring in the icing. I would tell you where you could get them but I don't want to advertise myself and get in trouble ;):D

Ah go on... whisper. I won't tell anyone. I'm genuinely interested to try one with icing that's not vile. I just avoid all of them atm and you don't want to be responsible for that continuing. :)

Yeah send me a pm with the info too Acoshla :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I think their cupcakes are really lovely.

They donated a decent amount to me for a charity event. Couldn't thank them enough.

I think their cupcakes are really lovely.

They donated a decent amount to me for a charity event. Couldn't thank them enough.

Yes they do seem to be lovely people, particularly going by that lovely reply, their products just aren't something that I like, especially for the prices. Gourmet Tart in Salthill have much nicer offerings for much better prices, their desserts are €2.50 for really amazing quality and delicious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

Cupcake junkie who gave my custom to sweetie pies every week until a few weeks ago. Dylans is where it is all at now. 1.20 euro for an amazing cupcake.
    it's going to be one fat summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

can you still get choc chip scones in sweetie pies? had one the first time i went in there and they were divine. but when i went back again and looked for one they didnt have any. havent been back since and havent been in the new premises either.

i can highly recommend acoshla's cupcakes though. nyom, nyom:)

Gourmet Tart in Salthill have much nicer offerings for much better prices, their desserts are €2.50 for really amazing quality and delicious stuff.

In the interests of fairness since I've been complaining about cupcakes I have to complain about the Gourmet Tart Co too .I was there two weeks ago and ordered a slice of cake. It arrived having been obviously very recently defrosted and it was soaking wet and sitting in a puddle of water on the plate. I had to send it back but it was so off putting I ordered a scone instead despite having had my heart set on cake. Theyre set up is lovely and everything looks fantastic but on a couple of occasions I feel like I've had defrosted stuff rather than fresh stuff there.

i can highly recommend acoshla's cupcakes though. nyom, nyom:)

I just saw some of her stuff and it is amazing!!! Cupcakes look fantastic and the cakes are just incredible...I'd say probably the most creative you'd find in Galway. We have our very own Ace of Cakes!
    We should have her cater a boards coffee get together seeing as we all seem to like our cakes and buns as much as our beer here. :)

In the interests of fairness since I've been complaining about cupcakes I have to complain about the Gourmet Tart Co too .I was there two weeks ago and ordered a slice of cake. It arrived having been obviously very recently defrosted and it was soaking wet and sitting in a puddle of water on the plate. I had to send it back but it was so off putting I ordered a scone instead despite having had my heart set on cake. Theyre set up is lovely and everything looks fantastic but on a couple of occasions I feel like I've had defrosted stuff rather than fresh stuff there.

I just saw some of her stuff and it is amazing!!! Cupcakes look fantastic and the cakes are just incredible...I'd say probably the most creative you'd find in Galway. We have our very own Ace of Cakes!
    We should have her cater a boards coffee get together seeing as we all seem to like our cakes and buns as much as our beer here. :)

Oh dear that's not good about Gourmet Tart :( Luckily I've never experienced that there and I hope I don't, another boardsie introduced me to the place and I love it! It's noisy as feck in there but the food is great, I find the service isn't great sometimes too...

And thanks afkasurfjunkie and Whimsical, some boardsies have visited me for tea and cupcakes in the past :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Where is Dylans?

Where is Dylans?

Was going to ask the same myself, I tried googling it and it said Lower Abbeygate St, but I don't recall ever seeing anything there that fits the description...

It's a new cafe bwteen Buon Appetito and CP's.

It's a white and blue shop front.

Take out place on the bottom floor with seating upstairs.

• Advertisement

Myself and Sky Shallow Oak went back into Sweetie Pies yesterday to try the new menu. We both got the soup, and I had a few of the cupcakes.

Everything was really fresh, which was nice. But definitely a we bit pricey. Love the atmosphere there though.

Any chance I could get a sample of your treats, Acoshla? For... comparison. :p

Advertisement