Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Separate threads for film & TV
    What is it like? Has it aged well? Lots of reviews on IMDB calling it a "masterpiece". This worries me as it's often not the case and says more about the reviewer than the actual movie.

Umm...

I'm not sure how you plan to take the word of someone on boards as being intrinsically worth more than the word of a reviewer on IMDB, but for what it's worth, I'd say the Seventh Seal is a masterpiece. Bear in mind that it helped make Bergman and Sydow's careers and has been consistently critically well-regarded in the decades since its release. It has aged well.

Obviously it'll depend what you look for in a film, so if you're in the mood for Big Momma's House 17: Momma Just Won't Stay Dead, you'll probably not enjoy it. If you're into film at all, you pretty much have to watch it, and it's very likely you'll find it a rewarding experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I watched the Midnight Meat Train, thoroughly enjoyed it. Basicallly a photographer (Bradley Cooper) discovers a serial killer on a late night underground train in NYC. The film has a frantic and claustraphpic feel with intense and brutal action scenes It doesnt hold back on gore but unlike recent horror movies the goreiness doesnt become central.

Vinnie Jones is perfectly cast with the added bonus that he barely has any lines. The film didnt scare me as such but although I may be more cautious travel on public transport at night.

Also saw King of Kong and loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

checked out Hunter Prey on US netflix last night.

It's a sci-fi low budget movie in a similar vein to Enemy Mine.
    It was worth watching, hell it was better than most movies with bigger budgets as it has an interesting storyline and is essentially an alien cat-mouse movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Fysh wrote: »
    Umm...

I'm not sure how you plan to take the word of someone on boards as being intrinsically worth more than the word of a reviewer on IMDB, but for what it's worth, I'd say the Seventh Seal is a masterpiece. Bear in mind that it helped make Bergman and Sydow's careers and has been consistently critically well-regarded in the decades since its release. It has aged well.

Obviously it'll depend what you look for in a film, so if you're in the mood for Big Momma's House 17: Momma Just Won't Stay Dead, you'll probably not enjoy it. If you're into film at all, you pretty much have to watch it, and it's very likely you'll find it a rewarding experience.

Intrinsically worth more? No of course not. I use IMDB to get a general idea of what a movie is like but I find there is very little variation in the reviews when a movie has received critical acclaim. This isn't always indicative of a great movie imo.

I lurk here and other forums on boards a lot and I'm familiar with many (you included) of the posters. I would rather get their opinion than a reviewer on IMDB that I have no knowledge of.

Thanks for replying. :) I'll check it out over the weekend.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Intrinsically worth more? No of course not. I use IMDB to get a general idea of what a movie is like but I find there is very little variation in the reviews when a movie has received critical acclaim. This isn't always indicative of a great movie imo.

I lurk here and other forums on boards a lot and I'm familiar with many (you included) of the posters. I would rather get their opinion than a reviewer on IMDB that I have no knowledge of.

Thanks for replying. :) I'll check it out over the weekend.

Ah, fair enough. I wasn't sure if it was a statement of intrinsic trust in boards or just greater familiarity with the posters on here. I tend towards a similar outlook myself - I'd only really trust IMDB at a glance if something's more than a couple of years old and has been absolutely panned.

Hope you enjoy the film - it's not exactly lightweight viewing but it's worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

This thread is for Netflix film recommendations and discussion ONLY! Any posts containing technical queries relating to DNS or VPN settings will be deleted. Please do not ask questions or start threads about regional workarounds.

So, getting value for your money is out of the equation?

:rolleyes:

Speaks volumes!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

So, getting value for your money is out of the equation?

Speaks volumes!

dont blame boards, blame Sean Sherlock

krudler wrote: »
    dont blame boards, blame Sean Sherlock

don't blame sean, blame bending the knee towards...

don't blame sean, blame bending the knee towards...

you've no idea what I'm even talking about do you? go google it, I'll wait here

you've no idea what I'm even talking about do you? go google it, I'll wait here

we all know the agenda...

whatever THEY say YOU'LL jump...

Household charges, no money for Crumlin, water rates, property tax...

go on, make A STAND.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Can we stay on topic please?

OldeCinemaSoz, if you'd like to contribute financially to Boards's legal war chest so that they can "make a stand", then contact the office. I'm sure they'd be delighted to take your money. Otherwise spare us your opinions on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Last night I watched Slumber Party Massacre... hilarious! And seemingly with a quick scout to IMDB I found out that the writer submitted this script as a parody of a teen slasher but the studio made it as a real horror. Makes for both intentionally and unintentionally hilarious bits! Really funny, well worth a trashy look!

Also Watched April Fools, ye old horror / comedy. Does what it says on the tin, funny and gore-ific, but kinda predictable though with a surprising amount of big... well recognisable names in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Watched "Revenge of the Nerds" the other night, cheesy 80's college movie. It was enjoyable enough for the dated lameness of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭larchielads

watched The Castle as someone recommended a couple of pages back. Absolutely brilliant! Who ever recommended it never said Eric Bana was in it ,not a major part, but lads you gotta watch it!!! Funny out!! Me and my mate where nearly cryin wit the laughin will def br recommendin it to my mates. DREAMIN;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Finally got around to watching King of kong and The bridge,and yeah it has been said many times but king of kong really is a great doc and well worth watching.

Also last night i watched "Mugabe and the White African",if you havent seen this,watch it,its a brilliant story set about the time Mugabe came into power in Zimbabwe and he evicted all the white farmers,its a very emotional film that tugs at the heart strings,excellent is all i can say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Finally watched Dr Horrible's sing a long blog last night :) It was brilliant, can't believe it took me so long to get around to watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

^ I recommend getting the region 0 Dr Horrible DVD even to those who've already seen the show. It's worth it just for the extras, which include Commentary! The Musical. This is the show with an audio commentary done as a typical musical and IMHO is funnier and more entertaining than the main show itself.

• Watched the Beaver tonight and found it to be an excellent movie. Probably one of Mel Gibson's best acting roles in years.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I know they're not films but there's been a bunch of TED talks added and they're bloody good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

The Man from Earth is a good one. Not sure if its on the Irish version but it is on the US one alright.

• Advertisement

Chasing Ghosts: Beyond The Arcade. its a sort of companion piece to King Of Kong, goes more into the Twin Galaxies arcade and the famous magazine photoshoot, has some of te guys from KOK in it like Walter Day and Billy Mitchell, worth a watch if you've any interest in video game history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I watched a very good film on US Netflix last night. The Bosnian film No Man's Land that won the Academy award for Best Foreign Language Film in 2001. About a Serb & a Bosnian that are trapped in a trench together with a bobby trapped solider between enemy lines during the war.
    I actually didn't know it had won the Oscar for best foreign film until after I had watched the film when I looked it up (I though Amélie got the nod in 2001). I can see why it won though, it made me laugh a lot & yet it still managed to convey the tragedy of the Bosnian war.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283509/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Chasing Ghosts: Beyond The Arcade. its a sort of companion piece to King Of Kong, goes more into the Twin Galaxies arcade and the famous magazine photoshoot, has some of te guys from KOK in it like Walter Day and Billy Mitchell, worth a watch if you've any interest in video game history.

Ur man dressed like a gay cop is some weirdo.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched Leaves of Grass the other night. Its written and directed by Tim Blake Nelson and stars Ed Norton as a pair of Identical twins, one a respected ivy league professor the other a hick who grows pot for a living. Its got a really good supporting cast in Tim Blake nelson, Susan Sarandon, Richard Dreyfuss, Keri Russell and Steve Earle.

Its not as good as it should be, the comedy parts don't sit quite well enough with the more serious/violent parts and I kind of felt the film didn't really go anywhere. Apart from Norton (and maybe Nelson) most of the cast are a bit under-used. All in all it is quite funny in places and has a very very good central performance(s) from Norton. It's a solid 3/5 kind of movie.

Ur man dressed like a gay cop is some weirdo.

Mr Awesome, yeah he's a bit of a fruitloop alright, claiming Arnie made his millions by being a prostitute lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Just finished watching Greek (US only) and I cant recommend it enough. Really funny, some great references and a little self aware humour.

Currently watching Survivors (Both) about a bunch of survivors trying to cope after a flu has decimated the worlds population. Nothing particularly new or original here if you have seen any of the countless other survivor themed shows / movies but its a UK edition and it makes a nice change from the glossy USA versions.

Two recommendations from the US Store.

Thursday:
    Spent the best part of the past week wanting to give this a rewatch but as I'm away atm and my DVD is at home I was out of luck when I discovered that it wasn't on either Netflix store. That was till tonight when I flicked through the recently added section and there was, Thursday in all it's uncut greatness.

Unfairly written off as a sub par Pulp Fiction, Thursday is a visually impressive, deliciously dark, brilliantly acted and rather violent B movie that never out stays it's welcome. The set up is simple, Casey is a retired drug dealer/killer who finds his suburban life interrupted one Thursday by the return of this old partner in crime, Nick. What follows is the proverbial shit hitting the fan as Casey has to deal with multiple murders, crooked cops, torture, rape and the impending return of his wife. It's a gleefully over the top cinematic treat. That it features one of the all time great opening scenes is an added bonus.

Meek's Cutoff:
    This is copy and pasted from my post in the Meek's Cutoff thread

It's the first film I've ever seen which really shows just how arduous and dangerous a wagon train across the west really was. There traditional fear of Indian attack is nothing when compared to the desperate need for water and never knowing just what is across that next hill as well as disease and the good chance that each steep incline could result in a broken axle or a wagon flipping over. Reichardt perfectly captures these fears and shows just how brave the first settlers were, putting your trust in man who says he can lead you hundreds if not thousands of miles in search of rumors is no small undertaking.

I know a lot of people were skeptical of the aspect ratio but it works very well. Instead of the vast rolling hills and prairies the focus is squarely on the characters and while it takes a bit of getting used to it further places the emphasis on the plight of these settlers and works like an enclosure around them. There may be miles of landscape all around them but the characters are trapped in their own small world.

I really loved the night time scenes, it's a refreshing change of pace to see a film which manages to capture the feel of night and just how alone one can be. The limited dialogue and dialogue barely heard from afar further compounds the reality of the situation and the realistic manner in which it's depicted. There's a certain helplessness to the situation as characters eavesdrop and barely heard snippets of conversation advance the plot far more than any eloquent written speeches ever could hope to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

'Mysterious Skin' (Irish netflix)

A really powerful movie starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt
    A teenage hustler and a young man obsessed with alien abductions cross paths, together discovering a horrible, liberating truth.

Be warned that there is a BRUTAL rape scene in this.

But it's an amazing movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Temaz wrote: »
    'Mysterious Skin' (Irish netflix)

A really powerful movie starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Be warned that there is a BRUTAL rape scene in this.

But it's an amazing movie.

Probably should have used spoiler tags. Revealing that there is a rape scene lessens the impact of it and will always be in the back of the viewers mind that it's coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Just finished watching 25th hour, really enjoyed this film, well recommended.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement