Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Orbea v's Specialized

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Orbea wrote:
    You’re a city dweller; you’ve got class, style, you know what you want and that gives you a characteristically firm tread. Your bicycle is called DIEM. Its stunning external appearance is compounded by its lightness, comfort and sportiness. A bike for getting round the city as if you were the lord of all creation. Who said the road was just made for cars? Look out, there’s a DIEM in the city! And it’s not alone, it’s joined by Aneto, Anayet, Spectrum and Derio; four beauties of the asphalt that are the perfect bikes for avoiding traffic jams and enjoying the road. Take a ride on the Orbea side of life.

Presumably this ad falls foul of the proposed new blasphemy legislation, thus the Orbea side of life is actually "the wrong side of the wall at Mountjoy".

This bike should last you five years, which is a long time. Do your ambitions not rise above a hybrid in that period?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Nothing wrong with a hybrid, sensible choice for commuting. There isn't a lot between those bikes so I would go for whatever fits and you like the best. For commuting I personally would want a rack- hard to make out from the photos but at least one of the Orbeas doesn't seem to have mounting points.

If you don't need rack mounting points I would go for this Orbea though:

orca_tdi_2009.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Have to admit, when I heard "Orbea" and "Hybrid" I was thinking of some God awful abomination with a great brand name on it. But that first bike looks absolutely class. Probably a bit too nice to ride around the city everyday on for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

As the self designated orbea expert here (currently own 5 bikes and 1 frameset) you wont regret getting an orbea. I have had no problems with any of mine and find the frame build qualities excellent. Have ridden full carbon, aluminium and aluminium/carbon fibre frames from orbea and they are as good as any bike out there. The biggest caveat for getting an orbea is the exclusivity factor you just dont see to many of them about. (I reckon that is a good thing). I have looked at the anteto and it is a lovely looking frame and if you have the budget i would say go ahead. if i was in the market for a hybrid it would be top of my list but i converted one of my older frames into a flat barred road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 psmate

Lumen wrote: »
    This bike should last you five years, which is a long time. Do your ambitions not rise above a hybrid in that period?

Unsure yet weather or not the commute would be the extent of ambtions, have to admit I am getting more and more interested in taking alternative (longer/scenic) routes home from work, even last night in the rain I was happy enough pounding up the N11.
    I would love to get more involved in longer/challenging spins however the sensibility of putting a rack on the back is what is drawing me to a hybrid...I would not dismiss the idea of getting a drop bar road bike but for my commute everyday I am not sure it makes sense. I could always revise my choice and bring in Blorg suggestion of the Orca...nice!

It was the arteta that I was looking at for sure...even comes in orange!! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FWIW, commuting on a drop bar bike is no big deal, and you can get them with rack mounts/mudguard eyelets.

Has anyone ever gone back to a flat bar bike after moving to drops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Hey cunavalos,whats your opinion of the Orca? ,the pic that Blorg posted up ,i,m very much thinking of buying one,thanks.

@psmate- you can get drop bar bikes that have rack mounting points, many entry level road bikes will do this as will more specialized audax or touring bikes. Might be a better long-term bet for you rather than a hybrid. Very good options for commuting too. If I could only have one bike it would be a light drop bar audax bike that would take 25mm tyres, mudguards and a rack.

Some cross bikes (Specializeds in particular) will also take a rack but to be honest I don't think there is a massive point with them unless you reckon you might want clearance for very wide tyres or actually want to race cyclocross.

What is your maximum budget, I'll add a few hundred to it and come up with a suggestion :)

blorg wrote: »
    @psmate- you can get drop bar bikes that have rack mounting points, many entry level road bikes will do this as will more specialized audax or touring bikes. Might be a better long-term bet for you rather than a hybrid. Very good options for commuting too. If I could only have one bike it would be a light drop bar audax bike that would take 25mm tyres, mudguards and a rack.

Some cross bikes (Specializeds in particular) will also take a rack but to be honest I don't think there is a massive point with them unless you reckon you might want clearance for very wide tyres or actually want to race cyclocross.

What is your maximum budget, I'll add a few hundred to it and come up with a suggestion :)

Max budget is 1,200 and looking to buy on the BTW through a LBS, work here is using the services of Bike to Work Ltd so I am restricted to the LBS that are signed up to that, I can't buy online either.
    Defo I am not against drops, to be honest I think I would prefer them with the different hand positions and the options to take on more miles. As I have mentioned the only drawback I could make out was I could get a rack/mud guards put on a hybrid race bike is unable to take them...agree I don't want a cyclo bike as the reason for updating is to reduce my drag and go quicker.

What local bike shop- what brands are options? At that price range in a LBS I think entry-level road bike is your best bet.

Most of the Specialized Allez range (except the top one made of E5 Aluminium) appear to take a rack, you are looking for those two little mounting bolts up on the seat stays and two holes down around the rear axle. Nice bikes and you could take the rack off for weekend spins. I use a Tortec Ultralite rack on two bikes, it is only 400g but very sturdy, rated to 25kg.

9090-64_AL_SportInt_White-Black_l.jpg

• Advertisement

Blorg, I'm not really brand loyal...but I would like to go for something a little different hence the reaon I was looking at the Orbea's. Bike shop wise anywhere in Dublin really, there is one that I have been talking to where they are matching UK prices for Specialized bikes.

Thanks for the assitance!

bunnygreen wrote: »
    Hey cunavalos,whats your opinion of the Orca? ,the pic that Blorg posted up ,i,m very much thinking of buying one,thanks.

I currently ride a 2008 Orca equipped with sram force and mavic ksyrium sl's . i cant recommend the bike highly enough it is a pleasure to ride and hasnt skipped a beat in the 12 months that i have owned. prior to that i owned the older model orca and i loved it too but i upgraded to the newer model as soon as i saw it. i may be wrong here but the 09 version is an improvement again as the 07/08 model was not considered a full on racing machine and the euskatel team often chose to ride the stiffer carbon 'Opal' or the superlightweight aluminium 'arin' models in the major tours. the geometry of the orca lended itself to the serious enthusiast / leisure rider (i fall into this category) this has been rectified with a more race oriented package of the new model which was ridden in the vuelta the tour de france and the olympics by orbea sponsored riders. all in all if like me you are an enthusiast/leisure rider look out for a bargain on an 07/08 model or if serious racing is your thing join the queue for an 09 model.
    just a word of caution the distributor in ireland doesnt have the greatest track record in delivering exactly what you ordered when they say they would. my lbs used to be an orbea dealer but when an orange 58cm orca arrives in august instead of the blue 54cm orca you were told would be delivered in may (not an isolated case) you understand why there are so few of them in ireland.
    couple of pics below
    06 ORCA
    08 0RCA
    coming soon ORCA #3 - with campag record and controltech carbon finishing kit and carbon wheels - possible sub 14lb build

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

cunavalos,thanks for that info,the paint job on the top tube on the 08 is a real beauty,i rode my mate,s one in Spain for a week,like you i,m a 54" and it fit beautifully,i,m no climber but it really worked well on the hills as well.I was thinking of getting it for racing this season but did,nt have the funds,by the way who imports here?,would it be cheaper maybe to pick one up in Spain?,cheers

i dont know which shops currently sell in ireland i got all my orbeas from ebay. i know there is a risk but if you are Patient and dont get caught up in a bidding war there are serious bargains to be found. the white orca cost 2000 euros delivered from a dentist in belfast hardly ever ridden. the other orca came from a shop in jersey and was tax free i was expecting to get hit with in excess of 200 euro customs charge for import but it came straight through no questions asked. if you have contacts in spain i reckon you might get it cheaper over there and stock might be more readily available. you wont regret it if you do buy one.
    apologies to the OP for sort of hijacking the post but it was blorgs fault- he posted the picture of the orca in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Cunavalos: I am hoping to get a new bike soon, and I am wondering what Orbea models that you have.

I am looking at the Alu model, the mortirolo. I can pick one up with an Ultegra group for a reasonable price. Have you every been on this model, if so any comments?

Would like the Orca, but cant really justify owning one, in that it will be rarely used, so wouldn't get the value from it.

cunavalos wrote: »
    i dont know which shops currently sell in ireland i got all my orbeas from ebay. i know there is a risk but if you are Patient and dont get caught up in a bidding war there are serious bargains to be found. the white orca cost 2000 euros delivered from a dentist in belfast hardly ever ridden. the other orca came from a shop in jersey and was tax free i was expecting to get hit with in excess of 200 euro customs charge for import but it came straight through no questions asked. if you have contacts in spain i reckon you might get it cheaper over there and stock might be more readily available. you wont regret it if you do buy one.
    apologies to the OP for sort of hijacking the post but it was blorgs fault- he posted the picture of the orca in the first place

No panic about the hi-jack.

I'm heading in tonight to have a look at some Orbea's that a LBS has in the shop, there are very few LBS that actually sell them from what I can make out...will have to suss them out in terms of delivery times as has been mentioned the distributor is not that good!
    Will ask them for a price on the Orca and post it here for information.

Originally went looking for Bianchi but there no one in Dublin seems to sell them, the one place on the Quays does not do them anymore.

ok, so went to the shop and the guy I was dealing with was sound...spent a good bit of time going through sizes and teased out what I am looking to get from buying a bike!
    Going to go for an Orbea Gavia which I thought for the spec I was getting a good price, 4-5 week wait on orders though which is a long wait...the shop also said they would do a deal on pedals and shoes I think the SPD stuff was what he mentioned! All probably a bit much for my commute but to hell with it will I'll look good on the road... :D
    The Mortirolo was beyond my budget given that I needed the other bits with it, but I read on another thread that ROK_On is going for one...nice bike! Also from reading that same thread I'll go for compact setting with a 12-27 cassette.

Looking forward to getting my hands on it now!

psmate wrote: »
    ok, so went to the shop and the guy I was dealing with was sound...spent a good bit of time going through sizes and teased out what I am looking to get from buying a bike!
    Going to go for an Orbea Gavia which I thought for the spec I was getting a good price, 4-5 week wait on orders though which is a long wait...the shop also said they would do a deal on pedals and shoes I think the SPD stuff was what he mentioned! All probably a bit much for my commute but to hell with it will I'll look good on the road... :D
    The Mortirolo was beyond my budget given that I needed the other bits with it, but I read on another thread that ROK_On is going for one...nice bike! Also from reading that same thread I'll go for compact setting with a 12-27 cassette.

Looking forward to getting my hands on it now!

Yep. Ordered the Aqua Mortirolo today. Where did get yours.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Yep. Ordered the Aqua Mortirolo today. Where did get yours.

Stagg Cycles...you?

psmate wrote: »
    Stagg Cycles...you?

Ditto.
    Nice place.

• Advertisement

congrats on the purchases lads, i dont think ye will be disappointed. i havent ridden either of the two models but from the orbea website both specifications and more importantly the paint jobs look good and the zeus components listed in the spec are orbea's in house brand (the same as the MOST components you get with pinarello's) are of excellent quality. The bikes will be well worth the wait. it is also nice to know that there is a dealer again in ireland.

Advertisement