Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon UK - slow to dispatch.

• 10-09-2013 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

For the last few years I'm a frequent shopper on Amazon UK, ordering everything from groceries to electronics. I tend to stick to items sold by Amazon or at least fulfilled by them. In the past items would despatch roughly within 24 hours and I'd receive them 3-5 days later using the free super saver delivery.

Unfortunately this no longer seems the case. I've placed four orders over the last fortnight - all items listed as in stock - and on average they are now taking between 3 and 7 days before Amazon even mark them as despatched and handover to the delivery company.

Has anyone else encountered this recently? If I was a tad more cynical I would wonder whether it is an attempt by them to promote the newer and chargeable shipping option for Ireland they launched over the summer. I've no problem with shipping time, it is the time they are taking to get the items out of their warehouses that's annoying. Especially when I preorder an item.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

For the last few years I'm a frequent shopper on Amazon UK, ordering everything from groceries to electronics. I tend to stick to items sold by Amazon or at least fulfilled by them. In the past items would despatch roughly within 24 hours and I'd receive them 3-5 days later using the free super saver delivery.

Unfortunately this no longer seems the case. I've placed four orders over the last fortnight - all items listed as in stock - and on average they are now taking between 3 and 7 days before Amazon even mark them as despatched and handover to the delivery company.

Has anyone else encountered this recently? If I was a tad more cynical I would wonder whether it is an attempt by them to promote the newer and chargeable shipping option for Ireland they launched over the summer. I've no problem with shipping time, it is the time they are taking to get the items out of their warehouses that's annoying. Especially when I preorder an item.

I have to say most orders arrived within 7 days, my latest order placed on Tuesday 3rd arrived on Friday 6th estimated delivery was for Today 10th.
    what date do you see on the Delivery Estimate in your order? are they arriving at the given date or later?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I agree, dispatch time has slowed down. I make sure to order over £25 to get supersaver delivery which surprisingly is available on some of their non Amazon items ( look for 'facilitated by Amazon' ).
    I've joined Parcel Motel and now search for free delivery to the UK on everything - great !.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Yeap I notice that they are "Preparing for Despatch" a lot longer than they used to. Also funnily enough I have found lately (with any online order, not just Amazon) that large parcels tend to arrive quicker but smaller parcel/packet items take longer - go figure?! I guess that could be down to stuff coming by ferry instead of air (guess it has to be screened) or just being loaded onto a different truck at the depot. Even stuff to Northern Ireland via Parcel Motel has been incredibly slow of late.

Perhaps a lot of Royal Mail staff take their holidays in August, when the kids are off school, so leaving a bit of a backlog...?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

MBSnr wrote: »

Perhaps a lot of Royal Mail staff take their holidays in August, when the kids are off school, so leaving a bit of a backlog...?

Very little of what I get from Amazon has ever been near Royal Mail. Most of it has An Post Dublin postmarks on it, it appears to be bulk-shipped over and then re-posted. Would affect your Parcel Motel via NI stuff, but not direct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

I find its best to make several smaller orders that qualify for free postage rather than one big one. Bigger orders always seem to be slower to arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

I haven't had any trouble. Marketplace sellers are beyond dire, I have had stuff not arrive, no tracking numbers, shipping from the US with US versions of games that I bought through Amazon.co.uk, etc. Whereas I preordered a game sold by Amazon, due for release for last Friday, they dispatched it Thursday evening and it arrived just before I left for work on Friday morning.

Just noticed I have a slow delivery with a current order. Sent out on the 11th and still not delivered on the 16th, that's crap, but when I ordered I didn't know that Amazon were going to send the item by courier from Germany! If I'd know I wouldn't have bothered. If possible I avoid using any courier services at they are totally rubbish when it comes to delivery in the country. Time taken to dispatch was quick enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i purchased one item from them (not fulfilled or anything but from Amazon direct). It spent a week in Balby at the courier (other issue, I thought everything would come via An Post) and then eventually started the 4 day trek to here. Wasn't impressed.........

I can beat that direct for Amazon, I'm still waiting for that item I previously mentioned that has been in transit for 5 days from Carlstadt, 7 days if you include all the delivery hops after dispatch? Anything from the UK coming via An Post takes a max of 3 working days once its been sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I have noticed recently that the few orders i placed some months ago all were delivered way before the expected delivery date but the last two items took almost two weeks for a mobile phone case and a spare battery and charging dock. OP I would also think it has a lot to do with them wanting people to choose the paid for delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Ordered a couple of things on saturday, delivered on tuesday...i'm sure there are plenty of variables within amazons setup that could cause certain combinations of orders to be delayed and we do have issues this side to contend with too..

...but yeah, they want a bad reputation for being slow to deliver just so you'll pay for standard delivery rather than get it free..makes sense :pac:

My problem is that if i-parcel are used for the delivery then the service is SH!T, doesn't matter if its paid for or not. An Post all the way and its normally 2-3 working days for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

I placed an order yesterday using free shipping, it has shipped in 2 parts today.

What really annoys me about the Amazon service now is when you chose the free delivery option in your basket and proceed to checkout they change your choice to the paid delivery during the whole checkout and payment process.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    What really annoys me about the Amazon service now is when you chose the free delivery option in your basket and proceed to checkout they change your choice to the paid delivery during the whole checkout and payment process.

How do you select the delivery option in your basket?

How do you select the delivery option in your basket?
    At the start of the checkout procedure you are asked to pick the delivery option and then later at the last stage when you confirm the order it has changed from free super saver on the last 4 of orders I have placed.

Never happened to me, I have to choose free delivery because its the cheaper paid for option by default but once I have picked free delivery thats it job done.

Yeah, that happens to me whenever there may be a delay in them getting any one item ready for dispatch, but I get the option to wait and group the items for delivery when the delaying item becomes available - in that case I would expect Amazon to be slow to dispatch.

I got 4 of 5 small packages from my last two amazon orders this morning. Ordered on 16th and 17th so quite pleased. The last item which is being tracked was handed to carrier on 19th and arrived in Peterborough UK and is now in Grimbergen in Flanders. Maybe iParcel_eu needs to get a compass or map of Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I have moved to the sunny south east - and holy god - delivery times on my amazon orders is 6 - 8 days - I always got them within 4 days, and thats the longest, I have changed my address to the folks who live in Dublin now - as I would be up there weekly - too slow for me to bother really,

• Advertisement

I got 4 of 5 small packages from my last two amazon orders this morning. Ordered on 16th and 17th so quite pleased. The last item which is being tracked was handed to carrier on 19th and arrived in Peterborough UK and is now in Grimengen in Flanders. Maybe iParcel_eu needs to get a compass or map of Europe?

I've just contacted Amazon to complain about i-parcel. Waiting 10 days for the last mile carrier Fastway to deliver for them. Fastway - enough said!

Amazon seemed to agree that 10 days was too long waiting for delivery (12 days total) and issued an immediate refund. So if it does turn up now I can accept it and pay Amazon or just refuse it so it gets sent back to them.

My small parcel has visited Germany for a few hours.

Tracking Details:
    Date Time Location Event Details
    23 September 2013 11:13:00 AM Carlstadt Parcel left the carrier facility
    23 September 2013 08:43:00 AM CARLSTADT Parcel arrived at a carrier facility
    20 September 2013 07:00:00 AM GRIMBERGEN Parcel arrived at a carrier facility
    19 September 2013 05:45:14 PM Kingston Park Peterborough UK Parcel has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit

So instead of travelling from the UK to Ireland it has gone to Belgium and Germany and god only knows where else these wasters will send it!

@ foggy_lad, that looks more like its made its way back to Amazon then got routed back out again?

The outward route from Amazons warehouse at Bad Hersfeld DE can be > Gimbergen > Carlstadt but you get no update from Amazons tracking once it leaves Carlstadt untill it arrives unless you put you tracking number in to i-parcels tracking site https://tracking.i-parcel.com/secure/track.aspx assuming its gone by i-parcel.

That tracking site shows something different!

Tracking Events
    Event Event Date City State / Province Country Code
    Exported i-Parcel and in transit to country of destination 2013-09-23 T11:13:00-05:00 Surrey GB
    Received at i-Parcel 2013-09-23 T08:43:00-05:00 Surrey GB
    Package details received electronically from Seller 2013-09-19 T13:50:27-05:00 IE

That tracking site shows something different!

Tracking Events
    Event Event Date City State / Province Country Code
    Exported i-Parcel and in transit to country of destination 2013-09-23 T11:13:00-05:00 Surrey GB
    Received at i-Parcel 2013-09-23 T08:43:00-05:00 Surrey GB
    Package details received electronically from Seller 2013-09-19 T13:50:27-05:00 IE

It always does :confused:

When it hits "Hawkes Bay Couriers (Hub)" you'll hear nothing until it gets delivered as from Hawkes Bay Couriers (Hub) it goes to the i-parcel last mile carrier which afaik is Fastway :(

Consolidation Arrived - Pending Customs Clearance and inbound scan 2013-09-24T00:00:00-04:00 IE
    does this mean it will be delivered soon?

does this mean it will be delivered soon?

My still undelivered package was there of a couple for days then the next stage was "Entered into local delivery system 2013-09-16 T14:33:09-05:00 Hawkes Bay Couriers (Hub)".

So I would guess you should have it by Friday or next Monday unless they keep screwing up.

The problem for me is that Fastway are the "local delivery system" and they don't like to deliver out in the country without a phone number to call first which Amazon won't have put on the package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I placed another order on Monday morning.
    (Item in stock and sold by Amazon).
    Item still not dispatched 48 hours later.

This was not the norm in the past - I've placed 22 orders in last 6 months -
    and am very familiar with how they operated until recently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I placed another order on Monday morning.
    (Item in stock and sold by Amazon).
    Item still not dispatched 48 hours later.

This was not the norm in the past - I've placed 22 orders in last 6 months -
    and am very familiar with how they operated until recently.

Are your orderings missing the estimated delivery date?

If your only going with super save the orders will always dispatch slower then any sort of paid for delivery service.

Advertisement