Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel 4, Channel 4 + and E4 + 1 scrambled on SKY

• 16-09-2008 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

I notice that everytime SKY add new channels to their service my Channel 4 and Channel 4+1 become scrambled. I have rang them and I have had no joy. My equipment and the positioning of the dish is fine. The problem is an intermittent one, sometimes I can receive a perfect picture for an hour or so and then for the rest of the time the picture is scrambled. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? All the other channels remain unaffected.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Scrambled? All those channels are encrypted on the Sky EPG in Ireland. Are you referring to the Programme not Available message? You shouldn't be seeing that on E4.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I understand that Sky channels are encrypted but I have a SKY package and still Channel 4, Channel 4 + 1 and E4 +1 are scrambled. However it only happens when Sky add new channels to the service. The "programme not available" message has something to do with broadcasting rights in Ireland. For example I think RTE have certain rights over some programmes.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I understand that Sky channels are encrypted but I have a SKY package and still Channel 4, Channel 4 + 1 and E4 +1 are scrambled.

Call Sky in that case. Channel 4 and Channel 4 +1 should be available regardless of what package you signed up for.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What is the onscreen message when this problem occurs?

I've called Sky and say it's not there problem. I spoke to a friend living in a different county and he has the same problem. No error message comes up but the picture is scrambled. Sometimes it's perfect for an hour and then it breaks up again..It is very strange..but it's fierce annoying....Thanks for your replies guys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

They changed frequency recently I think, had to rescan to get again on my Dreambox.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,442 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got a postcard from Sky yesterday saying that anything I have set to record on C4 will have to be re-set. I can't remember the reason, but I'll check when I get home in the morning.

Going to move this over to the Satellite forum... those clever guys will probably have the answer for you before then!

byte

It now appears to me that by "scrambled" you mean picture is breaking up (blockyness).

So that's a signal issue. Firstly, do you have a DECT phone or wifi router near your Skybox?

If not, the problem could be with dish alignment or cabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

My money's on alignment.

byte wrote: »
    It now appears to me that by "scrambled" you mean picture is breaking up (blockyness).

So that's a signal issue. Firstly, do you have a DECT phone or wifi router near your Skybox?

If not, the problem could be with dish alignment or cabling.

Thank you that is exactly what I mean, the picture is breaking up in blocks, sorry I'm not very technical. I've had the dish and equipment checked and it's fine. I think that it is strange that it only happened two days ago when SKY added E4+1 to the SKY package again.

• Advertisement

Onikage wrote: »
    My money's on alignment.

If is was alignment wouldn't other channels be affected. All my other channels are perfect...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

No, alignment can affect smaller groups of channels as well. Some channels are more susceptible than others. But I've not heard of C4 or E4 being affected, usually it's a low-budget channel like zone horror et al.

byte

Hmm, since E4+1 came back, that's probably the same time that Channel 4 and 4+1 changed transponder.

Looking at frequencies, Channel4 Ireland, Channel 4 Ireland +1, E4 Ireland +1, RED and BritAsia TV are all on the same frequency (12480 Vertical, SR 27500, FEC 2/3). The three "Four" channels all moved to that frequency on the same day, from what I can make out. This explains why E4+1 returning has a relevance to why C4 and C4+1 got affected the same day.

So, from that, I'd expect that RED and BritAsia channels are also affected.

If it's only 1 frequency that's being affected, there may be some wireless device perhaps that's interfering (Watty would have better knowledge on what frequencies are most likely to be affected with wireless devices). These wireless devices that can cause interference can be digital cordless house phones, broadband wi-fi routers, maybe wireless video senders, baby monitors, etc. If you've any of these running, plug them out to see if they're responsible.

Otherwise, that leaves cabling being the problem (and I have seen it happen, usually affecting Setanta )

Thank you so much! I did purchase a new cordless phone two weeks ago!!! However, it didn't affect my channels. The problem with the picture only started when E4+1 returned. I'll turn off the phone for a while to see if that helps the situation. Failing that, is it possible that I would receive these channels by inputting frequencies via Other channels on the SKY menu? Thanks again....

byte

Thank you so much! I did purchase a new cordless phone two weeks ago!!! However, it didn't affect my channels. The problem with the picture only started when E4+1 returned. I'll turn off the phone for a while to see if that helps the situation. Failing that, is it possible that I would receive these channels by inputting frequencies via Other channels on the SKY menu? Thanks again....
    I'll be interested to see your results.

You could indeed tune in the FTA versions of Channel 4, etc which, being on different frequencies, should be OK.
    Enter these paramaters in the Add Channels menu (Services, 4, 4)

For Channel 4/Film4/More4+1

Freq 10714
    Pol H
    SR 22.0
    FEC 5/6

For C4+1/More4/E4/E4+1

Freq 10729
    Pol V
    SR 22.0
    FEC 5/6

When you scan each transponder/frequency, you'll get a list of channels, press Yellow to indicate which channels on the list you wish to keep, then press Select to save your settings.

I'll be interested to see your results.

You could indeed tune in the FTA versions of Channel 4, etc which, being on different frequencies, should be OK.
    Enter these paramaters in the Add Channels menu (Services, 4, 4)

For Channel 4/Film4/More4+1

Freq 10714
    Pol H
    SR 22.0
    FEC 5/6

For C4+1/More4/E4/E4+1

Freq 10729
    Pol V
    SR 22.0
    FEC 5/6

When you scan each transponder/frequency, you'll get a list of channels, press Yellow to indicate which channels on the list you wish to keep, then press Select to save your settings.

Problem solved. You're a genius!!!! Thank you very much for all your help. I'm receiving Channel 4, Channel 4+ etc perfectly through the "Other Channels" option on SKY. It's great having Channel 4 back for documentaries and news....Thanks...

byte

Problem solved. You're a genius!!!! Thank you very much for all your help. I'm receiving Channel 4, Channel 4+ etc perfectly through the "Other Channels" option on SKY. It's great having Channel 4 back for documentaries and news....Thanks...
    No problem! :) I guess that the cordless phone had no effect on fixing the C4 listed on the Sky Guide?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The nothern ireland versions of channel 4 are still encypted in videoguard for reasons not known. All othe regions are FTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

snaps wrote: »
    The nothern ireland versions of channel 4 are still encypted in videoguard for reasons not known. All othe regions are FTA.

They went FTA about a week ago.
    http://en.kingofsat.net/sat-astra2d.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Not northern ireland afaik

• Advertisement

barnicles wrote: »
    Not northern ireland afaik

Yes, the NI versions of Channel 4 & +1 went FTA about a week ago.
    I have them running on my receiver.

From http://en.kingofsat.net/sat-astra2d.php
    Astra 2D (28.2E) - 10714.00 H - Txp: 41 - Beam: Astra 2D DVB-S (QPSK) - 22000 5/6 - NID:2 - TID:2041
    Name: Channel 4 Northern Ireland
    Encryption(s): Clear
    Last updated: 2008-09-15 +

Astra 2D (28.2E) - 10729.00 V - Txp: 42 - Beam: Astra 2D DVB-S (QPSK) - 22000 5/6 - NID:2 - TID:2042
    Name: Channel 4 +1 Northern Ireland
    Encryption(s): Clear
    Last updated: 2008-09-15 +

It was also discussed over on the Digital Spy Forums here

byte

From when I looked on Lyngsat a few days ago, there seems to be both an FTA and an encrypted version of C4 NI, as well as C4 Ireland and C4+1 Ireland.

From when I looked on Lyngsat a few days ago, there seems to be both an FTA and an encrypted version of C4 NI, as well as C4 Ireland and C4+1 Ireland.

The NI versions on 10714 H & 10729 V are FTA, but Lyngsat has not updated the information yet.
    The kingofsat.net information was updated on the 15th Sept.

The encrypted Sky-Ireland versions are on two other transponders
    Astra 2A (28.2E) - 12480.00 V
    Channel 4 (SID: 12035)
    Channel 4 +1 (SID: 12040)
    E4 +1 (SID: 12045)

EuroBird 1 (28.5E) - 11565.00 V
    E4 (SID: 50515)
    More 4 (SID: 50520)

(Note: 2 new SID's have appeared on 12480.00 V 12030 & 12050, they may be for the transfer of E4 & More 4 from EuroBird 11565.00 V)

What is the difference between the Northern Ireland and Ireland versions of Channel 4?

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    What is the difference between the Northern Ireland and Ireland versions of Channel 4?

IRish advertising on c4 Ireland

The Cush wrote: »
    Yes, the NI versions of Channel 4 & +1 went FTA about a week ago.
    I have them running on my receiver.

From http://en.kingofsat.net/sat-astra2d.php

It was also discussed over on the Digital Spy Forums here

I stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kirbyshoes

having same problem with channel 4 , more 4 ect. channels are just blue screen. i could tune them in with "other channels" but i have sky+ so i cannot record them when they are tuned in manually. help anybody ? this problem happened when e4+1 was re-introduced.

Is there any error message on the blue screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Your problem may fix itself over the next few days. Ch4 today have turned on a new version of ch4 on the same tp as all the FTA CH4s It looks like the ROI version. So it looks like the ROI version of Ch4 is changing tps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭g.quagmire

Otherwise, that leaves cabling being the problem (and I have seen it happen, usually affecting Setanta )

Any chance you would elaborate on this comment or give me a link to previous thread I'm just curious how and what sort of damage to cable would only effect certain channels. I cant work it out.

Thanks

Advertisement