Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I've never gone out in Maynooth. Never even stepped foot in the SU bar since the day I got here. Yet still it's been the most fun five years of my entire life.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

Do maynooth students ever head into Dublin for nights out? Might be a poor time to ask this :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭TheBody

Do maynooth students ever head into Dublin for nights out? Might be a poor time to ask this :P

Sometimes. There are some great places to go out in Dublin. Can be good to meet up with friends who are in college in Dublin and go out with them.

TheBody wrote: »
    Sometimes. There are some great places to go out in Dublin. Can be good to meet up with friends who are in college in Dublin and go out with them.

Is it expensive? I mean google maps tells me that we're only ten minutes further from temple bar than UCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Does anyone know when/where you'll be able to book a locker this year?
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Is it expensive? I mean google maps tells me that we're only ten minutes further from temple bar than UCD

Are we?

Taxis can be pretty expensive unless you have a good group of people and can make a deal with a taxi driver.

Are we?

Taxis can be pretty expensive unless you have a good group of people and can make a deal with a taxi driver.

Ok it might have been 13:P really? hmm well freshers will certainly leave nothing to be desired outside anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭TheBody

It doesn't have to be too expensive. For example, avoid places that require a cover charge. Eat dinner before you head to Dublin. Stay with friends instead of paying for the nightlink home.

I recommend you do it, even if you only did it once, for the experience. I love the buzz around Dublin on Friday evenings. Real party atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Not much , I really wish more did . I mean the roost etc are great and all but it can get a little tiresome and a change of scenery would be nice.
    Does anyone know when/where you'll be able to book a locker this year?

From Monday @10am in Iontas foyer http://campusservices.nuim.ie/StudentLockers.shtml
    Are we?

http://transportforireland.ie/taxi/fare-estimator/

It's about 50/60 euro so if you'd a group and got a 7 seater it'd be about €10 each

If you didn't mind waiting around for an hour or so in MCD'S or wherever theres the train to Maynooth at 05:27 for €4 ish :P
    http://journeyplanner.irishrail.ie/bin/query.exe/en?OK#focus

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

Posted previously about this emailed the relavent department etc but im still stuck :P Ive registered for 50 credits online for anthropology second year and it said i have to pick 10 other credits in another arts subject and email them to the records office. I did that on tuesday and never heard anything back from them nor has my personal timetable changed. Should i email them again or?

• Advertisement

Toshi101 wrote: »
    Posted previously about this emailed the relavent department etc but im still stuck :P Ive registered for 50 credits online for anthropology second year and it said i have to pick 10 other credits in another arts subject and email them to the records office. I did that on tuesday and never heard anything back from them nor has my personal timetable changed. Should i email them again or?

They're prob pretty busy with registrations this week. Maybe follow up early next week but give them time too. Go to whatever lectures you have picked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

mickstupp wrote: »
    I met a first year the other day who isn't 18 till next August. Poor girl was not happy with the big red 'under 18' bit on her ID.

Is this actually a thing? I certainly don't recall any of my friends ever having it! Is it new?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

How so Joe wrote: »
    Is this actually a thing? I certainly don't recall any of my friends ever having it! Is it new?

Yea Ive seen a few people with it! It looks really awful actually..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

deise_girl wrote: »
    Yea Ive seen a few people with it! It looks really awful actually..

That's actually really cruel to the people who go to college under the age of 18. Whatever about drinking or not drinking, a big red mark on your student card is gonna make it much harder to actually get into the SU or anything.

That's actually really cruel to the people who go to college under the age of 18. Whatever about drinking or not drinking, a big red mark on your student card is gonna make it much harder to actually get into the SU or anything.

Not to mention they're going to need to be replaced when the student turns 18 so it's a little shortsighted I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Not to mention they're going to need to be replaced when the student turns 18 so it's a little shortsighted I think

Shortsightedness in Maynooth? Never!

I was 17 when I started, just got the plain old student card that hasn't been replaced in 3 years.
    Have security and bar staff lost their ability to read dates of birth or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Is the gym free to use? Or how much is membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

lisar816 wrote: »
    Is the gym free to use? Or how much is membership.

It's free but you can only get in if you have your student card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I think it was brought in last year. It's definitely here now.
    The rumour I heard was that it was partly to keep local bars happy. Instead of people having to bring round separate age cards or their passports, people would accept student cards if they could tell at a glance if the person was underage, i.e. Big red mark on the card. I have no idea if that's true or not, I don't have any experience of being asked for a card in the town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

GarIT wrote: »
    It's free but you can only get in if you have your student card.

Are they enforcing that now?

I never got asked once and I wouldnt have thought to bring it with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Thwip! wrote: »

As far as I know, you need your student card to open the door to the sports hall and gym from Phoenix now, but not actually at the gym desk itself?

As far as I know, you need your student card to open the door to the sports hall and gym from Phoenix now, but not actually at the gym desk itself?

You've always needed that , but the door is usually left open or theres so many people coming and going you can get in regardless.

My memory is failing me in my old age of 20.5 how much is it to join clubs and socs again ?

My memory is failing me in my old age of 20.5 how much is it to join clubs and socs again ?

CLUBS AND SOCS FOR TOO EUUUROO

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

€2 isn't it?

CLUBS AND SOCS FOR TOO EUUUROO

Deadly I couldn't remember how many combinations of that wonderful coin it was :D

Also Speak up I cant quite hear you....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Thwip! wrote: »

Until the end of September (as registration closes on the 30th) if you ask at the desk they will let you in, after that you need your student card. But as it was said someone will probably let you in anyway.

Seeing as there is talk about clubs and socs, I've some advice for Firsties. Don't join more than 3 or 4 clubs or socs, you will never keep up with more than that, so save your money. Most Clubs and socs will let you go and see what it's like before you sign up, so keep your €2s until you know you are going to go rather than signing up for anything you might go to once and spending €48 like someone I know.

Is there anyone out there doing first year math , specifically Differential Calculus , MT101s that'd be willing to email me the notes posted on moodle for this weeks lectures ?!?!

I'm repeating so I can't register until Friday meaning I can't access the notes until then which is a right pain so if theres anyone willing to help me out it'd be greatly appreciated ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

There is no rush in picking tutorial times and what not this early is there? I just looked through my moodle and have not a clue what is going on or how to pick specifics lol.

Advertisement