Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to spend $130 in Amazon.com?

• 12-03-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,
    I am really having a dilemma about how to spend a gift card of $130 in Amazon.com.
    Facts:
    - I live in Ireland.
    - The gift card was given to me as a refund for a Kindle I won in a prize competion (in Ireland). The kindle (a basic one) was of no use to me so I decided to sent it back and get something useful.
    - I wasn't aware that I would get a gift card that I can only use in Amazon.com (I cannot use it in Amazon.co.uk).
    - I have lookeed at a number of items that I could buy but when I get to the checkout the delivery price is ridiculous expensive and doesn't make sense at all.
    - Also, for any items above (I think) $50, Amazon calculates and charges the tax to be paid.

The only thing that I have identified where I could easily spend this voucher is with Apps. But I'm not really interested in spending $130 in Apps!

I'm just finding it very frustrating because this was a prize I won in Ireland and just because all Kindles come from America (it seems) they gave me a gift card that I can only spend in Amazon.com!

Any ideas are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Books maybe? You won't get charged extra for them with customs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 PresidentMike

dee. wrote: »
    Books maybe? You won't get charged extra for them with customs either.

I've looked at that option but at the end it just sounds stupid to pay, for example, 3 times the price of the book for delivery. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Could you sell the voucher on eBay.ie or Adverts.ie or somewhere? You probably wouldn't get the full $130 for it though, so be prepared for some loss.

Have you any birthdays, or weddings or anything coming up which requires you to give presents? If so, is it possible for you to buy anything on Amazon which could be given as presents?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I've looked at that option but at the end it just sounds stupid to pay, for example, 3 times the price of the book for delivery. :eek:

Well I was in the same situation as you a while back and used it for books and it still ended up cheaper than buying them here (plus amazon has a 4 for 3 offer on 1000s of books)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You're selecting the priority courier delivery, standard shipping is not that expensive.

• Advertisement

jor el
    Standard shipping is not available in most of the items I've tried :( .

Could you sell the voucher on eBay.ie or Adverts.ie or somewhere?
    I would have to sell it to someone in USA or they would have the same problem.
    I reckon people would be suspicious about the gift card... And they wouldn't buy it... I think I wouldn't buy a gift card in eBay.ie myself...:confused:

used it for books and it still ended up cheaper than buying them here
    Really? Were they small books? Maybe I've been looking at too big books, over $40 and too heavy ...:confused:
    (plus amazon has a 4 for 3 offer on 1000s of books)

I must look at that offer. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

You'd get a nice massage couch for that :) at massage hut.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Cathyht wrote: »
    You'd get a nice massage couch for that :) at massage hut.

Dont post in year old threads without good reason please!

Closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement