Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options
1919293949597»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Name|marathon time|Total so far|Marathon Comments
    Vagga||461 miles||
    Nules10|4:56:6|505.49|I had a great experience for my first marathon. Sure was tough though :)|
    Househunter|3:55|702 miles|Tough but a great experience. All went to plan. Atmosphere was fantastic. Will defo do another some time :D|
    Mr Abbey||332 miles||
    PDCAT|4.13|350.5m| Was doing fine until mile 18, then the wheels came off. Think it has something to do with missing couple of weeks training including two LSR's and two Long Midweek runs in September. Only one training run over 16.5 miles. Legs just died at 18 miles. Happy with completing first marathon though. That's the main goal.|
    ShivDCM|3:42:08|428m|loved it.|
    BobMac104|4:03|511.55|What a day! Now I have a PB to beat|
    red face dave|4.43|306.7 miles|Bad day but I will be back:)|
    Younganne|4.27|298.5m|tough marathon but great atmosphere:D
    rom||470 miles||
    maggiemissy|4.38|562 miles|didn't go to planmad.gif but better next time hopefully!|
    mazken|4.03|444 miles|An amazing experience and one i'll never forget!!|
    run44 (Aoife)|4.21.26|502 miles|After I got over the nerves, was smiling all the way around - had a blast! Still amazed at the great support out on the day :D|

Thanks for setting up the table! Mazken we must have crossed nearly together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

Vagga||461 miles||
    Nules10|4:56:6|505.49|I had a great experience for my first marathon. Sure was tough though :)|
    Househunter|3:55|702 miles|Tough but a great experience. All went to plan. Atmosphere was fantastic. Will defo do another some time :D|
    Mr Abbey||332 miles||
    PDCAT|4.13|350.5m| Was doing fine until mile 18, then the wheels came off. Think it has something to do with missing couple of weeks training including two LSR's and two Long Midweek runs in September. Only one training run over 16.5 miles. Legs just died at 18 miles. Happy with completing first marathon though. That's the main goal.|
    rom||470 miles||
    maggiemissy|4.38|562 miles|didn't go to planmad.gif but better next time hopefully!|
    run44 (Aoife)|4.21.26|502 miles|After I got over the nerves, was smiling all the way around - had a blast! Still amazed at the great support out on the day :D|
    meijin|3:59:xx|475m|it was tough, but finished in planned time|

I didn't update the table for a while, but was reading the thread - very helpful. Maybe I'll write a longer report in few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Younganne wrote: »
    as far as i Know that is cross country and not a road race, just in case that makes any difference!!

Oh thanks Anne, I only had a really quick look at it and i noticed it has a bit of every terrain. I live so close i thought it would be criminal not to. It was only 20 quid so its not a fortune to lose if i decide that its not my thing (or I return to lazy mode next week :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

as far as i Know that is cross country and not a road race, just in case that makes any difference!!

Not quite cross country, it's about half grass and half road.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Vagga||461 miles||
    Mr Abbey|4:53|332 miles|Absolutely loved the day, and atmosphere, great crowds. Def. on for next year. :)|
    rom||470 miles||

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I just signed up for that post marathon 8 miler in the Park. Decided why not!

When is it on? You really shouldn't race anything this month, you'd be inviting an injury. You could just go and jog around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I just signed up for that post marathon 8 miler in the Park. Decided why not!

I did this last year and it's a good race. There are a couple of short sharp hills though so watch out for those (around mile 2 and 6-ish I think). Agree with Brian it's about half trails and half road.

there's loads of photos from the race up on racepix

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Vagga|4.08|461 miles|August knee injury came back at end of park section; second half as unplesant an experience as any - should not have finished really :eek:|
    Mr Abbey|4:53|332 miles|Absolutely loved the day, and atmosphere, great crowds. Def. on for next year. :)|
    rom||470 miles||
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Great time Vaggabond, especially with the early injury!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

RayCun wrote: »
    When is it on? You really shouldn't race anything this month, you'd be inviting an injury. You could just go and jog around...

Hi Ray, next Sat. Yeah was planning on just pottering around the course. Just went for my first 2 mile there and the legs felt very tired. I guess I underestimated how much the marathon took out. Glad in a way that they were tired though so I know I definitely did empty the tank on Monday. Will play it by ear for next Sat me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Vagga|4.08|461 miles|August knee injury came back at end of park section; second half as unplesant an experience as any - should not have finished really :eek:|
    rom|4:29|506 miles|Had too much energy at the end. 4 hrs is achievable, all gels falling out of gelbelt at the start was only the start of what went wrong. Next time :)|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Full Table!!

well done to all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

For anyone with unfinished business a few from this thread have set up a similar one aiming towards shorter distances to keep them motivated over the X mas months

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056440724

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Full Table!!

well done to all!!

Yes, its great to see that we all survived the marathon and all finished. Well done to all.

Ray, you job is done here:D.......Well done to you for such a great job!!!:D
    We'll be hoping you will come visit us, and keep giving us some of your wisdom, on our new thread;)

Passing you on to a proper coach now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Passing you on to a proper coach now :D

Only a level 1 qualification there are plenty on here with that and more;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Hi guys,

this thread has been a great help to me - the advice and support fantastic. I really enjoyed my first marathon - the atmosphere and support on the day was brillant.

One question on the pacers. I was in the 3.30 group and my official time at mile 20 was 2.41.34. However, the pacers were no where in sight! Was it just me or was the 3.30 pacers group belting along?

Afterwards I was never going to do a marathon again. That cloud has cleared and it's all marathon sunshine now :D

Well done again to Ray and the gang on here for the advice.

finisklin wrote: »
    One question on the pacers. I was in the 3.30 group and my official time at mile 20 was 2.41.34. However, the pacers were no where in sight! Was it just me or was the 3.30 pacers group belting along?

which wave did you start in? did you see them before that? I ran with the 3.30 pacers all the way, and they were never far off the right pace (hard to be sure because I didn't really trust the mile markers)

which wave did you start in? did you see them before that? I ran with the 3.30 pacers all the way, and they were never far off the right pace (hard to be sure because I didn't really trust the mile markers)

Ray, I was in start of second wave and tried to keep up throughout. Didn't go to plan though and fell further and further behind. The garmin was out of kilter as well, though that was tracking my exact route, on the route.

Came in alright at the end, under 3.40 and happy with that for my debut. Hopefully more to come!

• Advertisement

Sounds like your mile 20 time was wrong - either that or it took about an hour to run your last 6.2 miles.
    Congrats on your time though, that's very good for your first marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sounds like your mile 20 time was wrong - either that or it took about an hour to run your last 6.2 miles.
    The 3:30 pacers would have had to be at 20 miles in under 2:40, (8 min/mile) so quite rightly would have been 2 minutes down the road at that point!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Hey guys,

After a disappointing DCM im eyeing up my next marathon. Im thinking either rotterdam or Edinburgh? Am I mad to go straight into my second marathon?

Im thinking rotterdam might be a little too soon?

Any advice appreciated.

I did my last 6 miles in 58 mins...I clearly died, averaging 9.25 per mile. Overall, I averaged 8.23 which I am happy about.

The thing is what ever inspiration/motivation I had left was tied to the pacers. I even had a conversation with another runner at that point regarding their pace, as they were definitely out of sight!

The wall isn't called the wall for nothing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

i saw a spectator with a great sign
    "The Wall has a Door"

It brought a smile to my face & thankfully all the other runners had smashed the wall down by the time i got to it!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

i saw a spectator with a great sign
    "The Wall has a Door"
    I must've missed that one - brilliant though!! Must remember for the next marathon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I did my last 6 miles in 58 mins...I clearly died, averaging 9.25 per mile. Overall, I averaged 8.23 which I am happy about.

The thing is what ever inspiration/motivation I had left was tied to the pacers. I even had a conversation with another runner at that point regarding their pace, as they were definitely out of sight!

The wall isn't called the wall for nothing.....

As I explained above, it is normal that the pacers were out of sight if you went through 20 miles in 1:41:3x, they had to be through 20 miles in 1:39:3x to be on schedule.

I ran between the 3 pacers all the way around and finished in 3.29.12
    I think they were running a little behind schedule at halfway (I went through in just over 1.45, and two were behind me) so maybe between them speeding up a little and you starting to slow down, they put a big gap into you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 suseoh

Hi all
    Hard to believe a week has passed sine big day!Had first run yesterday, a very slow 4 miles, enjoyed it but have to confess to being a bit stiff after.
    I plan on running 3 days a week for the winter, one 4 miler easy, a longer tempo run on a Wednesday or Thursday (7 or 8) and a longer run of 10-15 at the weekend.
    lots of races here in Cork but will aim for half - marathon in December, either Clonakilty or Waterford. Just wondering what other plans people have? Anyone taking a long break from running?

• Advertisement

Have you seen this thread?

Advertisement