Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

No, but don't forget he got Deng to play something like 46 mins in his first game back from injury...poor whore will prob play 40+ in the All-Star game!

And now for all the Melo and Lin can't play together talk!

Much better on the TO front from Lin tonight, nearly half his points in garbage time though....first career game to foul out of!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

kmart6 wrote: »

No, there will be realists!

He's the PG...it's his job to carry the possession so it doesn't make him any different to other PG's! If others had as many To's they would be getting crucified, but it's being over looked completely here so the story can keep getting hyped!

Yeah it's a great story, but it's not like he's some Rookie straight out of High School/College...he's been around the league for over a year!

If he is still performing like this on a months time then that'll be different, as of now it's only been two weeks!

And now for all the Melo and Lin can't play together talk!

Much better on the TO front from Lin tonight, nearly half his points in garbage time though....first career game to foul out of!

You are definitely a glass half empty person....

Media are obviously blowing the whole thing up but he is producing some good numbers and being effective.
    He is not far off being a rookie, he has spent the past year being shipped around the league which makes the turnaround that more impressive.
    I can overlook the turnovers for now, he is being aggressive and will learn from it.
    Time will tell what kind of player he will become in the long term, should have a solid enough career by the looks of it.

Cant stand Melo but if he can leave his ego at the door then he should be able to fit in to the team, dont think he will have a choice with the NY fans.

Will be interesting to see how Davis fits in now, was supposed to be in great shape before the season started but picked up another injury, he is sensational when playing well.

You are definitely a glass half empty person...

Attack the post, not the poster!
    He is not far off being a rookie, he has spent the past year being shipped around the league which makes the turnaround that more impressive.

What are you on about?! He is miles off being a Rookie!

He spent the entire last season with Golden State, yeah he had pre-season with Houston this year, but has been with the Knicks since their 1st game!

Up and down to the D league is natural for someone who isn't playing much and a team is over stocked at a position!

So your 'shipped around the league' is a load of bull!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

He spent the entire last season with Golden State, yeah he had pre-season with Houston this year, but has been with the Knicks since their 1st game!

Up and down to the D league is natural for someone who isn't playing much and a team is over stocked at a position!

It's not a load of bull. Just being on a team and practising with them isn't good enough. For a player to really develop to their maximum potential you have to actually play. That's what makes Lin like a rookie, the fact that before this he's hardly had any playing time in the NBA proper, till two weeks ago.

It's the same in football.

• Advertisement

Was not meant to be a "attack" but my sorry all the same.

I do realize he has been around for a while or as others would say, a year !
    After his initial bit of hype in the bay, he received very little time on the floor and that is what its all about.
    Pre season was a bit of a mess with the lockout and all that stuff, I am sure he gained some valuable experience with these teams but going to play in the garden and doing so well is still a great achievement no matter how you may try and downplay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'd see his football equivalent as Tom Cleverley. Played with Wigan, has been knocking around a while now but only really came to prominence this season.

Now, imagine that United were in serious crisis losing game after game with Champions League qualification looking unlikely (yes I recognise this isn't far off but they're still ticking over), imagine Cleverley's goals and assists were the only thing keeping them going and, as a young player, he led experienced guys like Rooney, Carrick, Ferdinand etc back to prominence. And he did so against quality opposition like Chelsea, Spurs etc.

That's before you even take ethnicity into account. Imagine this was an Irish player doing it and how he'd inspire a generation of basketball players over here. When has it been a common occurrence for Irish kids to grow up saying they wanna be professional NBA players? I've only known a few and I played basketball for years!

That's what Jeremy Lin has done. Has the media coverage been insane? Of course, but they needed to fill a void once football season ended. I hope the couple losses will calm the hype machine now and let him get on with it. But is he worth the hype? Oh yeah.

Seriously, comparing Cleverley a player who was touted as being something special to Lin?! There's nothing similar about them!

Seriously, comparing Cleverley a player who was touted as being something special to Lin?! There's nothing similar about them!

No he wasn't. Unless you count the odd message board post by fans who tip every reserve for glory in advance so they can say "I told you so" if they later go onto glory. He didn't even get Ravel Morrisson type of buzz. He had a decent run at Wigan but was never seen as anything special until the Charity Shield this year when he bossed the midfield vs City. A perfect example of someone who hadn't done that much before stepping up for a big team and coming of age on a massive stage (though due to injury he hasn't had near the impact of Lin). If anything, it bears more resemblance to your theory that Lin didn't 'come from nowhere'.

Though, on reflection, Liverpool would be the closer football equivalent to the Knicks: a massive franchise with a huge history and passionate following, now languishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Borisss

By United fans maybe.

He'll never even surpass a Carrick-esque ceiling of ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

Lin has just made a second consecutive cover of SI. Has that ever happened before? I know he deserves some ink but that's a bit of overkill.

Yes, both Dirk and MJ and that's only NBA!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Won't get to watch the 2nd half, but I really enjoyed that 1st half of Knicks @ Heat.

51-47 to Miami at the half.

Great pace to the game, some great plays on both offense and defense. Disappointed with Lin though, Chalmers has done a great job on him so far and he's been a turnover machine. 6 TO's, 2 points, 2 assists in the 1st half for Lin.

No doubt I'll wake up to see that he's taken over in the 2nd half and won the game for the Knicks after I've said that :pac: They'll have to be happy with only being down by 4 despite all the TO's.

Here's a good link if anyone needs it:

http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/35857/2/nbaontnt:new-york-knicks-vs-miami-heat-live-stream-online.html

Are you getting the ESPN commentary?! You can really tell on it that Miller isn't buying into all the Lin stuff, bout time someone covering it wasn't drooling all over it!

Are you getting the ESPN commentary?! You can really tell on it that Miller isn't buying into all the Lin stuff, bout time someone covering it wasn't drooling all over it!

Haven't read or heard too much drooling from legitimate stars of the game, granted the media will hype him up but one then has to use their own intelligence and know that it just the media trying to sell and create the hype.

For the most part, people have just being giving him credit for what he has done and deservedly so.

Jesus that game was just lincredibly easy for Miami...absolute piss take of a second half!

Put down a few bets to make all-star weekend a bit more interesting.

Rising Stars Challenge: Team Chuck +4.5
    Shaq's team looks stronger on paper but I'm guessing Chuck will be the better motivator. Also it's questionable how seriously either team will take it, so take the points.

3-point contest: Anthony Morrow @ 4.83
    Has the best career 3-point percentage at 44% (next-highest is James Jones at 40%), and best free throw percentage (89%).

Skills Challenge: Kyrie Irving @ 6.95
    Mainly taking the value here, with Irving having the longest odds. Also a factor in this contest is how seriously each guy takes it. Some of the older guys just stroll around, a rookie is more likely to give it 100%.

Dunk Contest: Jeremy Evans @ 4.3
    Never heard of him until a few days ago, but he has the longest odds, and anyone who can do this has a chance:

Odds from Pinnacle Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

leggo wrote: »
    I'd see his football equivalent as Tom Cleverley. Played with Wigan, has been knocking around a while now but only really came to prominence this season.

Now, imagine that United were in serious crisis losing game after game with Champions League qualification looking unlikely (yes I recognise this isn't far off but they're still ticking over), imagine Cleverley's goals and assists were the only thing keeping them going and, as a young player, he led experienced guys like Rooney, Carrick, Ferdinand etc back to prominence. And he did so against quality opposition like Chelsea, Spurs etc.

That's before you even take ethnicity into account. Imagine this was an Irish player doing it and how he'd inspire a generation of basketball players over here. When has it been a common occurrence for Irish kids to grow up saying they wanna be professional NBA players? I've only known a few and I played basketball for years!

That's what Jeremy Lin has done. Has the media coverage been insane? Of course, but they needed to fill a void once football season ended. I hope the couple losses will calm the hype machine now and let him get on with it. But is he worth the hype? Oh yeah.

Have to disagree with this. Tom Cleverly was widely touted as being a great prospect, he played all last season with Wigan, played week in week out in the P.L, and performed consistently well. Added to that he was a key player for the England u21's. To compare him to Lin, who no one saw making the impact that he has is quite frankly ludicrous(or lindicrous, as the case may be!)

Still disagree. Nobody was touting him, except for the hindsight brigade who have a 100% success rate in predicting stardom...AFTER the person has already achieved it. He wasn't making headlines, wasn't being singled out on MOTD or similar shows, wasn't being picked in Fantasy Football teams nor was he being discussed on message boards (except by the pre-hindsight brigade, as mentioned above, who at some stage predict EVERYONE in the reserves squad just to say "I told you so!" if proven right). The only reason most United fans even knew he existed was because he was in Football Manager.

I distinctly remember people questioning Fergie's sanity before the Charity Shield when he didn't sign Sneijder or Modric and seemed to appoint the unproven Cleverly as the solution to their problems. Then he had a great game and kept it up as United went on a great run, including the 8-2 romp of Arsenal.

The story became that United were searching everywhere for the answer to their problems and, little did we realise, they had one right under their nose.

Sound familiar yet?

Granted it isn't a perfect comparison (if this kind of thing happened regularly in sport, Jeremy Lin wouldn't be a story). As stated, Liverpool are a more apt comparison to the Knicks pre-Lin...but they're still awaiting one saviour (and their only potential one makes race-fuelled headlines for different reasons). And Cleverly had a bit more experience than Lin before his emergence (though not as much as people make out: he was a semi-regular starter in a team battling relegation). But can anyone think of better?

• Advertisement

Pretty meh and tame dunk contest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

The only reason most United fans even knew he existed was because he was in Football Manager.

Please, that is just a load of b.s and you know it. How can you say people didnt know he existed when just last season he was a first team regular in a premiership club. Just a quick google news archive search threw u[ a top 10 english players to watch this season written by Tony Adams http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=809899&sec=england&root=england&cc=5739 (hardly the most knowledgeable football pundits) way back in august 2010 not exactly the " pre hindsight brigade! " There are plenty more of those kind of articles dating back to then. So yes, he was widely tipped to become a top player, whether you want to accept it or not(you clearly don't)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

buyer95 wrote: »
    The only reason most United fans even knew he existed was because he was in Football Manager.

Please, that is just a load of b.s and you know it. How can you say people didnt know he existed when just last season he was a first team regular in a premiership club. Just a quick google news archive search threw u[ a top 10 english players to watch this season written by Tony Adams http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=809899&sec=england&root=england&cc=5739 (hardly the most knowledgeable football pundits) way back in august 2010 not exactly the " pre hindsight brigade! " There are plenty more of those kind of articles dating back to then. So yes, he was widely tipped to become a top player, whether you want to accept it or not(you clearly don't)

I have absolutely no idea what your talking about ? Wrong forum ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

All Star Game tonight ! I really like it and think its great compared to the pro bowl and nhl all star game. Who are peoples picks for mvp :) ?

I have absolutely no idea what your talking about ? Wrong forum ?
    Read two posts above his and you'll see it clearly, he just didn't manage to use any quote tags!

All Star Game tonight ! I really like it and think its great compared to the pro bowl and nhl all star game. Who are peoples picks for mvp :) ?

Dwight Howard is favourite, with it being in Orlando, though Kobe seems fairly maniacal about trying to win them, he has 4. I'd go for one of those two. Rose in particular really doesn't seem to care about this game.

20 years since one of the best all-star games, also in Orlando:

Think Kobe's trying to get his 19 as quick as possible!

Woj has a good article today on the game:
    Given chance to win NBA’s 2012 All-Star game, LeBron James takes a pass

It's only the All-Star game, it doesn't matter, but it's still an insight into LeBron's psyche, he doesn't want the ball in his hands at the end of a game. I didn't have any problem with them drawing up a play for Deron Williams, they got a good shot off, but once they get the offensive rebound and LeBron gets the ball back, he's gotta take the shot. Great shot of Kobe berating him about it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

padraig_f wrote: »

Given Kobe's previous, this is some line to open the article with :D
    With the way Kobe Bryant mercilessly rode LeBron James in those final minutes,

• Advertisement

• Got myself tickets to the Bulls v Trailblazers in Chicago March 16th!:D:D:D:D

Hopefully the bulls are all fit so i can see them in full flow, D. Rose has to play at least

Advertisement