Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lower back training for d lifts and squat?

• 28-12-2009 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

just wondering what exercises could i do to strengthen my lower back
    i m doing the starting strength routine at moment, and in past as i ve got up in the weight its been my lower back thats given way, i think i warm up enough and it just the actual strain, plus i think my form is good,
    i warm up with 5 mins rowing or cross trainer or bike, i ll 3 or 4 warm up sets working up the weights before my work sets, i ve started doing back extensions too before i start squat or dead lifts
    any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Hey Abceire,

Maybe throw up a video of a set, that way a few people can have a look at what you are doing. Without that you will more than likely get generic advice like concentrate on pushing your chest up etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

gabgab wrote: »
    Hey Abceire,

Maybe throw up a video of a set, that way a few people can have a look at what you are doing. Without that you will more than likely get generic advice like concentrate on pushing your chest up etc

a mate coming to gym wednesday so might try vid idea, i have doing squat and dead lifts maybe 4 years not, last time i hurt back i was in a rush to go out after ,didnt warm up right . thats why i started doing the back extensions, used to do before , not sure why i stopped, its only when weight gets heavy ,well heavy for me
    i m 5 11 tall and 74kgs got up to 107.5kgs in dead lift there few weeks back for a set of 5reps
    and squat was about 100kgs for 3 sets of 5 reps,have managed bit more in squat in past but i was taking supplements , happy this time its just me and lots of grub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Goodmornings are great for targeting the lower back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

abceire wrote: »
    a mate coming to gym wednesday so might try vid idea, i have doing squat and dead lifts maybe 4 years not, last time i hurt back i was in a rush to go out after ,didnt warm up right . thats why i started doing the back extensions, used to do before , not sure why i stopped, its only when weight gets heavy ,well heavy for me
    i m 5 11 tall and 74kgs got up to 107.5kgs in dead lift there few weeks back for a set of 5reps
    and squat was about 100kgs for 3 sets of 5 reps,have managed bit more in squat in past but i was taking supplements , happy this time its just me and lots of grub

Good man yourself, thats great work. I will keep an eye out for the video

I have started doing these again, doing 3 sets of 12 with no weight, as much to warm up the lower back as to strenghten it.
    would it be good to use weight or just do as i'm doing with no weight?
    injuries or strains are damn annoying,woke up with sore knee after doing no gyming in 3days, couldnt squat dead lift or anything,nearly feels ok
    so who tanja harding'd me in my sleep? own up!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

doing what again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Really the best thing is to have someone knowledgeable check out your squat. Everyone thinks their form is good until they actually get someone to see it.

Now it could just be a case of the fact that your back is fatiguing first, and your legs are more than capable fo driving the weight. Or it could be a simple technical fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Don't do the extensions before your deads. Do your deads first then do your supplementary work. By and large your squatting and deadlifting should improve themselves as long as you keep form and keep the reps coming.

When you say "give way" do you mean that as you up the weight, you fail because of your lower back? I don't mean to sound smart, but, why bother upping the weight then? Just keep doing what you can do. If you're failing when you move up, it's not because your lower back is giving in, it's because you've gone too heavy, too soon. Step back, go again at a lower weight and NEVER FAIL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

With squats and deadlifts it is easy to get carried away by the idea of loading the plates and the romanticism of lifting heavy. But very often this comes at the price of form. I've seen people deadlifting way beyond their means and don't lock out and barely touch the ground. Same with squats. All this weight on their shoulders but yet they barely move their arse down an inch or two.

Not implying this is what you have done but it may be worth lowering the weight and making sure your form is good and only move up weight if you are not going to sacrifice form. Better off hitting the movement properly at a lower weight than barely hitting the muscle groups with heavier ones.

doing what again?
    back extensions

• Advertisement

Roper wrote: »
    Don't do the extensions before your deads. Do your deads first then do your supplementary work. By and large your squatting and deadlifting should improve themselves as long as you keep form and keep the reps coming.

When you say "give way" do you mean that as you up the weight, you fail because of your lower back? I don't mean to sound smart, but, why bother upping the weight then? Just keep doing what you can do. If you're failing when you move up, it's not because your lower back is giving in, it's because you've gone too heavy, too soon. Step back, go again at a lower weight and NEVER FAIL!!!
    its more a next day cant move thing,muscle gone mad tight

That's okay. as long as you're just tight and sore as opposed to ow I'm passing out with pain. Just foam roll/ice pack your way through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Very interesting thread.... I find I fail on DLs more because of grip than fatigure or the weight being "too heavy" - I usually work up to a 3RM - same as I do for Bench and Squat - but it usually seems to be the grip that goes before the body, so to speak.

I dont use chalk or straps or anything - would this help? Or would plate pinches etc help the grip more?

Try chalk if it's your grip but really you shouldn't be missing a lift at all is what I'm saying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Very interesting thread.... I find I fail on DLs more because of grip than fatigure or the weight being "too heavy" - I usually work up to a 3RM - same as I do for Bench and Squat - but it usually seems to be the grip that goes before the body, so to speak.

I dont use chalk or straps or anything - would this help? Or would plate pinches etc help the grip more?

Plate pinches won't do much. They're mostly used for thumb strength.

Best things you can do are exercises which require you to grip a bar for a prolonged period of time in a similar manner to the DL. Think;
    -Kroc Rows
    -Double Overhand Shrugs
    -Farmers Walks
    -Timed Barbell Holds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Pugmister

Hanley wrote: »
    Plate pinches won't do much. They're mostly used for thumb strength.

Best things you can do are exercises which require you to grip a bar for a prolonged period of time in a similar manner to the DL. Think;
    -Kroc Rows
    -Double Overhand Shrugs
    -Farmers Walks
    -Timed Barbell Holds

I found towel pullups and rope climbing improved my grip strength massively

Roper wrote: »
    That's okay. as long as you're just tight and sore as opposed to ow I'm passing out with pain. Just foam roll/ice pack your way through it.
    it was more then this, could barely move in the mornings ,and would be painful all day, great when your a landscaper! but i must get a foam roller, a mate has been telling me they great just not bought yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Pugmister wrote: »
    I found towel pullups and rope climbing improved my grip strength massively

They've just stuck an oul rope up in my gym actually, been lookin for an excuse to have a shot on it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Gaz wrote: »
    Goodmornings are great for targeting the lower back

I am also looking for a way to strengthen my lower back and was wondering what 'Goodmornings' are?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Goodmornings with a barbell

And Goodmornings with a band

M

• Advertisement
Advertisement