Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Press Releases

• 16-05-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

I assume that a press releases can be quoted in full and are not copyrighted?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Never assume. :)

AFAIK, posting a link and a brief description in your own words is all that is currently allowed under Sherlock's law.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Steve wrote: »
    Never assume. :)

AFAIK, posting a link and a brief description in your own words is all that is currently allowed under Sherlock's law.

So if sherlock issues a press release you cant quote it only link to it? I used to always give a full quote and a link, i thought that was fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Well, it's a press release, so the implication is that you share the information with as many people as possible. I can't imagine a world where someone's getting sued over the copyright of a press release unless of course it was intended to have a limited audience and not for public consumption. However, technically speaking, they are indeed someone's intellectual property and so could be subjected to copyright law, but if they tried suing of it's use, it'd be the last time *anyone* would take a press release from that company every again :)

tl;dr - press releases intended for everyone are ok to post in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

I would just add one proviso Dav. There are quite a lot of PR's which have an embargo on them. It's not a blanket 1 for all type scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Absolutely, but if someone breaks an embargo on something that's on a press release, that's not really a copyright issue but a contractual one between the company releasing the info and the person who broke the embargo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

They're not really subject to contract, more like gentlemen's agreements. On occasions some news org might try to scoop, but it'll be the last time they get that chance. The more dangerous aspect of breaking the embargo would occur during stuff like merger and acquisition activity which would land at least one party in hot water for breaching Stock Exchange rules where penalties and litigation might follow. In my own previous experience of handling merger and acquisition embargoed release no one ever broke an embargo. Mind you we did generate shed loads of news flow, so no news outlet would dare bite our hand which fed them.

As for copyright, use whatever you want was our policy. Kinda the whole idea of the pr innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

tricky D wrote: »
    They're not really subject to contract, more like gentlemen's agreements. On occasions some news org might try to scoop, but it'll be the last time they get that chance. The more dangerous aspect of breaking the embargo would occur during stuff like merger and acquisition activity which would land at least one party in hot water for breaching Stock Exchange rules where penalties and litigation might follow. In my own previous experience of handling merger and acquisition embargoed release no one ever broke an embargo. Mind you we did generate shed loads of news flow, so no news outlet would dare bite our hand which fed them.

As for copyright, use whatever you want was our policy. Kinda the whole idea of the pr innit.

When the press release is on the companies website. In reality do we even need to post a link to there pr page? I only provide such links to prove i am not spoofing.

Advertisement