Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Comreg: Broadband Speeds

• 13-01-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭

Comreg seems to have something in the works about the reporting of broadband speeds.

The latest minutes from the Comreg consumer panel includes this
    (iii) Broadband Speed
    Barbara Delaney and Jacqueline Moore presented details of the broadband speed information initiative that is being developed by ComReg.

The program for government includes this
    We will mandate the regulator to require all broadband providers to publish average speeds for each package.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭rardagh

The European Commission are way ahead of them, and they should piggy back on the free EU initiative rather than blow money on their own one.

I've signed up for this one:

http://www.samknows.eu/index.php/

Am expecting a whitebox in the post, and my UPC connection will be under scrutiny!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

UPC is the least of our worries.
    Vodafone, eMobile, Meteor, Satellite, O2, Three and Imagine are the really "Interesting" ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

watty wrote: »
    Vodafone, eMobile, Meteor, Satellite, O2, Three and Imagine are the really "Interesting" ones.

Unfortunately that whitebox is only for fixed line connections. I would dearly love to expose those ISPs and their awful midband offerings.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Unfortunately that whitebox is only for fixed line connections. I would dearly love to expose those ISPs and their awful midband offerings.:p

Yes, and would eat up the data limit
    NOTE: Our Whiteboxes download approximately 3GB per month and upload around 1GB. If you’re on a product with a low usage cap then we’d advise against signing up, or at least informing us beforehand so that we can apply a different testing profile.
    http://www.samknows.eu/index.php/en/requirements

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Isn't it telling that the service selected by governments for National Broadband Scheme are not considered as broadband for the EU testing.
    Next what will happen is... because of the above, reported average speeds will be increased. Now government and their "independent" agencies mix their own statistics of broadband coverage that does includes midband with these average broadband only figures from Europe and declare they have solved the broadband issues for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

rardagh wrote: »
    The European Commission are way ahead of them, and they should piggy back on the free EU initiative rather than blow money on their own one.

I've signed up for this one:

http://www.samknows.eu/index.php/

Am expecting a whitebox in the post, and my UPC connection will be under scrutiny!!

I got mine on the post today, its a shame I cant use it as a router

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Note the "Power" switch is the bigger of the two black buttons.
    When the cables are attached and space at a premium not obvious.
    I spent some time yesterday pressing what in hindsight was perhaps a "reset" button, cursing my luck at getting a dud and other equally high-level theories.
    The thing started up quite nicely once I took a closer look.
    Mortified, but I thought I'd share it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭rardagh

I got mine on the post today, its a shame I cant use it as a router

I saw that it's already been hacked to do just that! : http://blog.nyr.be/hacking-the-whitebox/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭clohamon

the Commission has commenced a project with the objective of developing and piloting a methodology and a tool for measuring and publishing broadband speeds experienced by consumers using different platforms. This should allow users to obtain comparable information on available broadband speeds, by operator package, by county and by time of day.

http://www.comreg.ie/publications/comreg_consults_on_the_provision_of_telephony_services_under_universal_service__obligations_uso.583.104091.p.html

Not sure if doing it by county is of much benefit. They really need a much finer grid than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They don't want accurate answers but cheap answers that tell them what they want to hear, i.e. averaged with UPC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement