Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious advice needed on course choice!

• 06-03-2012 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Wasnt to sure where to post this but since there is a wit course in my options i decided here.

So i would really love to do a course that involves sports/exercise. Since i didnt get enough points to go ucc and do the course i wanted last year i ended up doing computer science and dropping out. Im paying for this year all by myself so i cant make a mistake. Anywho this are what im think3ing.

http://www.wit.ie/healthandsportscience/Courses/BAExerciseHealth/

Looks pretty good just far from home and friends.

http://www.cit.ie/course/CR032

Looks more on the management side which im not really interested in. But closer to home.

http://www.csn.ie/htms/sport/c-s-hnd-sportsci.htm

Cheaper and would allow me to live in cork, but it just doesnt look as good as WITs course. Only level 6.

Any info/ advice would be appreciated especially by people with experience in the courses.

http://www.csn.ie/htms/sport/c-soc-ed-coach.htm

Was recomended this after dropping out as a way to get the course i wanted in ucc(sports studies and physical education)but im not sure about it. Only 2 places are offered.

Perhaps i should post this in a different thread? I didnt know where to post it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Can't offer you advice on the 3 courses in Cork, but the main difference between Sports & Recreation and Exercise & Health in WIT is whether you're more into coaching, sports development (Rec.Man) or fitness, how the body operates (Ex&Health).

Rec Man can get quite business like in certain modules, where as exercise & health is more science based IMO. I can only presume the same applies to the rec & leisure course in CIT. Also, I wouldn't let distance put you off. Pick what course interests you the most and choose that one, I know plenty of lads who live at home and commute to college and absolutely hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

At that rate I'd say Health & Leisure in Tralee is your better option as it keep a lot of doors open i.e. fitness, sport and pe. You follow the stream thats of most interest to you and if that is PE you can do a postgrad to qualify as a PE teacher in UL after it and its recognised by the teaching council

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tammyme

If its any help, i did a CSN course and got into UCC with it! worked my ass off and got full distinctions, it was tough at times but not too bad! and i'm nearly finished second year in UCC now so was totally worth it!

Friends in the sports course in CSN loved it, if thats any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RC92

tammyme wrote: »
    If its any help, i did a CSN course and got into UCC with it! worked my ass off and got full distinctions, it was tough at times but not too bad! and i'm nearly finished second year in UCC now so was totally worth it!

Friends in the sports course in CSN loved it, if thats any help!

What course did you do? Its a great help thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tammyme

I did social studies in CSN and then social science in UCC- i know its quite diff to what your doing but it was the same story with only 4 places- my other option was actually WIT which i got in CAO first time round but I didn't want to and couldn't really afford to leave cork!

You should see if you could talk to someone in the sports dept. in CSN because afaik there's a way to do FAI coaching training after that course if it was something you were interested in (double check this coz i could be totally wrong!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I deferred Exercise and Health Studies last year, I'll probably take it this year as I'd like to try go on and do a postgrad in biomechanics. Only thing I'm worried about is getting funding as I'm leaving a government job...

Advertisement