Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The pain of sourcing an exercise bike in Ireland

• 14-02-2010 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

I've been looking online to upgrade my exercise bike to something better, and it is truly painful to compare Irish prices to those in the UK. The bike I've been looking at is the York C301, available at Argos.ie for €577. The same bike at Argos.co.uk is £399, and at Amazon.co.uk, only £319. Neither Argos in the UK nor Amazon will ship the bike to Ireland.

Sometimes all you can do is cry.

I should add that the bike is not available to buy or pick up in an Argos shop, so I can't just cross the border.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

ejmaztec wrote: »

Just spoken to them. They do ship to Ireland, but delivery costs are very expensive. They also don't provide any warranty if delivered to Ireland - pretty much sold as is.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I wonder might you be better off getting a second-hand machine from a gym? Usually they use electromagnetic braking rather than belts or pads, so there's little to go wrong once they've been given a quick tune up.

Interesting suggestion. I'll have to look into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Your first error is thinking of using Argos - they only selll expensive sh1te as has been proven on boards for many years.

If something goes wrong, do you really expect the pimple faced student in argos to sort it out? or to even advise you on the best bike for you?

Loads of places have bikes - and will give you proper advice too. - thius from 2 seconds on google

http://www.irishsportsdirect.ie/catalog/exercise-bikes

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/ (dublin showrooms)

http://www.peakfitnessireland.com/bikes.html

http://www.vjhomefitness.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Wayyy off topic but I would reconsider getting an exercise bike, most recommend against getting a exercise bike/clothes horse in the fitness forum.

rubadub wrote: »
    Wayyy off topic but I would reconsider getting an exercise bike, most recommend against getting a exercise bike/clothes horse in the fitness forum.

Why do you say that? The one I already have I've been using for a couple of months, alongside other exercises of course.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If youre going to spend a lot of money, think about a regular bike and turbo set up. At least you have a real bike then.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

Although this thread is more than two years old now, I am currently feeling the pain myself, as prices of exercise bikes (and to a lesser extent, range of products available) in Ireland are a sad jake compared to the same products across the northern border, or to the other side of the irish sea.

For example, a Pro-form 380 ZLX Exercise Cycle is as low as 249 GBP (less than 300€) at some sites in the UK, delivery included, but in Ireland you are lucky if you can get the same product below 450€. This is not a margin thing, it has to be either irish merchants completely out of reality, or the wholesalers screwing the irish customer with prices well above those they sell to retail shops in the UK.

It's quite sad, but is seems even more disappointing considering there are lots of more necessary things for daily living that are complete rip-offs in Ireland compared to the bigger UK, or somewhere else in the continent.

</rant>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Zardoz

dardhal wrote: »
    Although this thread is more than two years old now, I am currently feeling the pain myself, as prices of exercise bikes (and to a lesser extent, range of products available) in Ireland are a sad jake compared to the same products across the northern border, or to the other side of the irish sea.

For example, a Pro-form 380 ZLX Exercise Cycle is as low as 249 GBP (less than 300€) at some sites in the UK, delivery included, but in Ireland you are lucky if you can get the same product below 450€. This is not a margin thing, it has to be either irish merchants completely out of reality, or the wholesalers screwing the irish customer with prices well above those they sell to retail shops in the UK.

It's quite sad, but is seems even more disappointing considering there are lots of more necessary things for daily living that are complete rip-offs in Ireland compared to the bigger UK, or somewhere else in the continent.

</rant>
    You could use deliverme.ie to forward the bike to you for 22 euro .

• Advertisement

Zardoz wrote: »
    You could use deliverme.ie to forward the bike to you for 22 euro .

Thanks a lot for the hint, although the fare is going to be higher (already waiting for a quote) just because exercise bikes tend to be very heavy items, but surely it will be cheaper than buying the same product from a local (physical or virtual) Irish shop.

dardhal wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the hint, although the fare is going to be higher (already waiting for a quote) just because exercise bikes tend to be very heavy items, but surely it will be cheaper than buying the same product from a local (physical or virtual) Irish shop.

I received a promptly reply to my quote request to deliverme.ie, and it seems they charge 1€ for every Kg. above the 25 Kg. mark. So, for a device weighting 40 Kg., the price for the proxying service would be 37€.

Not very expensive after all, and very worth considering, as the potential savings of buying in UK-only stores more than exceed the additional delivery cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭noel123ie

Hi all

Deliverme.ie site seems to be down

Has anyone used other companies?

Thanks
    Noel

Advertisement