Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentist put in a dressing for dry socket but now I can't get it out

• 24-09-2011 7:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

the dentist put in the dressing and told me to take it out after 24 hours. However I can't even see where it is, I've tried holding the mirror in various different angles, I've tried feeling it, I've tried putting the scringe in the area where I think it is but just ended up hurting myself as this area is still very sensitive from having my wisdom teeth taken out. I have a small mouth and can't open my mouth too wide which doesn't help matters.

The dentist is closed for the weekend so I won't be able to get it out until Monday which will mean it will have been in for 3 days, is there any danger with keeping it in that long?

Also does anyone know is it possible to buy the small mirror that dentists put in your mouth to help them see things? I think if I had one of those I might be able to see it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

the dentist put in the dressing and told me to take it out after 24 hours. However I can't even see where it is, I've tried holding the mirror in various different angles, I've tried feeling it, I've tried putting the scringe in the area where I think it is but just ended up hurting myself as this area is still very sensitive from having my wisdom teeth taken out. I have a small mouth and can't open my mouth too wide which doesn't help matters.

The dentist is closed for the weekend so I won't be able to get it out until Monday which will mean it will have been in for 3 days, is there any danger with keeping it in that long?

Also does anyone know is it possible to buy the small mirror that dentists put in your mouth to help them see things? I think if I had one of those I might be able to see it.

Was the dressing placed at the time of surgery or was it a dry socket dressing placed a few days later?

I don't understand why a removable dressing would be placed at surgery (except for a gauze pack- but that should be massive, not just in the socket...)

If it is a dry socket dressing;
    Most use alvogel which sorts itself out...
    Some use a cotton wool/ temporary filling/ local anaesthetic gel paste that needs to be removed and in my opinion should not be placed to begin with....

Sure you can get mirrors and tweezers but it is not your job to be picking dressing from the wisdom tooth sockets, most people don't have the dexterity to do this...

OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

Was the dressing placed at the time of surgery or was it a dry socket dressing placed a few days later?

I don't understand why a removable dressing would be placed at surgery (except for a gauze pack- but that should be massive, not just in the socket...)

If it is a dry socket dressing;
    Most use alvogel which sorts itself out...
    Some use a cotton wool/ temporary filling/ local anaesthetic gel paste that needs to be removed and in my opinion should not be placed to begin with....

Sure you can get mirrors and tweezers but it is not your job to be picking dressing from the wisdom tooth sockets, most people don't have the dexterity to do this...

OS

The dressing was placed a few days after the surgery. It was a dark colour and looked wooly. I think she said it would begin to work its way out after a day but I can't see it. So think I will leave it to Monday but do you think it is alright to leave it in that long or should I try my best to get it out myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

The dressing was placed a few days after the surgery. It was a dark colour and looked wooly. I think she said it would begin to work its way out after a day but I can't see it. So think I will leave it to Monday but do you think it is alright to leave it in that long or should I try my best to get it out myself?

Most likely alvogel (but I can't be sure...).
    Either way, DIY dentistry is never good, leave it till Monday and keep up the salt water rinses...

Good luck,
    OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

Hopefully its alvogel then, I'll just leave it to Monday and give them a call them to clarify. Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement