Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting for good

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

Hi all, today is day 1 for me using patches. Its not as bad as i thought it would be, although i feel like i've been thinking about them all day.
    I'm 24 and have been smoking 11 years, i'm ashamed to say. Or correction, had smoked for 11 years. Have to keep saying to myself I'm a non smoker.
    I am dreading Sunday though. Day 3 sounds like hell but i'm confident I can do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Day 6 nearly over and really looking forward to tomorrow night when I can announce Im a week off them!!!

Please everyone be extra vigilant over the weekend, it will be hard to get through a weekend. I am going to avoid alcohol just to play it safe, its early days yet, Id feel better knowing that Im not taking risks so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Day five down. Went out to night with friends. No drink and no cigs.
    Found it hard but we have to go through all social occasions to get used of them. Going to bed now, feeling really tired. Hold on in there everybody we will pull through,

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hiDEhi

Day 5 is over for me too. I'd have to say that the worst seems to be over, so for anyone willing to try it, get this far and you'll be fine. I've had a tough day work wise, the type of day I wasn't looking forward to. I have to admit it was fine, I'll definitely get through this now. Keep up with it everyone, together we'll get there. They're bad for you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hiDEhi

Try to stay off any drink. It doesn't help with the cravings. The less cravings towards drink/smokes the better. Try to forget about all the stuff thats bad for you and it will be fine. If anyone is having problems please PM me and I'll try to contact you and talk you though it. Anything else let me know!

HDH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Day 8 here, and its been a tough week, a roller coaster of cravings and emotions, not to mention the psychadelic dreams when I have actually managed to sleep!!

But all that said, I feel great and am very proud of myself for getting this far. Well done to everyone else on the wagon with me :)

I'm on day 3 here and still going strong. Beginning to wonder if i'll ever stop thinking about them 24/7 though.

Lorri_L wrote: »
    I'm on day 3 here and still going strong. Beginning to wonder if i'll ever stop thinking about them 24/7 though.

I wondered that too. I went for an hours swim on Wednesday (Day 4) and Id reckon I thought about them for at least 45 mins of that hours swim. Then I went swimming for an hour on Friday (Day 6) and I didnt think of them once.

The brain kind of 'lets go' of thinking about them after a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 drunky monkey

day 9 !! so proud of myself ! after day 5 it gets easier honestly !! went out ith friends on friday and had a few drinks was hard not to smoke but not as hard as i expected ! so as the night went on i poped out for a sly smoke !! on the second pull i could taste it and my god it was disgusting !! so happy threw it awaey was out again with smokers last night and it didnt bother me !! the smell off them was awfull !! really happy ive quit and hope i can keep it up !! cravings gone sleep back to normal and mood much better !! :D

so as the night went on i poped out for a sly smoke !! on the second pull i could taste it and my god it was disgusting !! so happy threw it awaey was out again with smokers last night and it didnt bother me !! the smell off them was awfull !!

Well done drunky monkey, I couldnt do what you did above though, 1 pull and Id be afraid Id be straight back on.

Day 9 here now too. Finding it alright, quite stressful few days for other reasons but not any harder not to smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Well done folks.

I finally packed in the smokes after numerous failed attempts several years ago. Watch out for the 3/4 week stage and thoughts of 'sure now I know I can give them up so I can have the odd one'. I got caught that way a couple of times.

Fair play to anyone who frees themselves from that the control of that nasty plant.

I finally packed in the smokes after numerous failed attempts several years ago. Watch out for the 3/4 week stage and thoughts of 'sure now I know I can give them up so I can have the odd one'. I got caught that way a couple of times.

Thanks Chuck, its good to have people who have already gone through it come and share the knowledge - I can see how itd be so easy to think 'ah yeah, sure wasnt I off them weeks, no bother, just one or two and then Ill go off them again'.

I personally dont want to get stuck in a give up/go back/give up cycle - I just want out, thats it, final.

Well day 4 here and its a completely different ball game today. So far i've sailed through. Today i could only be described as a quivering hormonal wreck :-( I've alternated between crying hysterically and screaming loony for no real reason. Please please let this pass soon.

On the plus side, still smoke free!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Lorri_L wrote: »
    On the plus side, still smoke free!

Stick with it, as long as you can say that at the end of the day it's all worth it.
    I was breaking each 24 hrs into 6 hr segments at that stage and at the end of each reminding myself I was still in the game. Keep looking for distractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

On day 2, been a 40 a day man for more years than I can remember.
    jasus teh fussy head unreal, realy taking effort to type properly, feels like I am very drunk, zero energy.
    I know it will get better eventually but it is dam hard. Glat not driving too far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

jem wrote: »
    On day 2, been a 40 a day man for more years than I can remember.
    jasus teh fussy head unreal, realy taking effort to type properly, feels like I am very drunk, zero energy.
    I know it will get better eventually but it is dam hard. Glat not driving too far today.

I'm in the same situation, feel quite dopey and I've had gallons of water, cranberry juice and orange juice all day

Playing football at 7 so hoping this will burn off some of the excess anxiety

Tomorrow should be today and then some but the end justifies the means....

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭sarah101

Hi folks, can I join ye? Am a non smoker since yesterday morning so almost two days done. Am so proud of myself. Spent three and a half hours in A & E yesterday with my two year old. Think if i survived that without giving in then I have a good chance of beating them this time. So far cravings not too bad but bad headaches, cant sleep and horrible night sweats. hope everyone had good fag free day today.

sarah101 wrote: »
    Hi folks, can I join ye?

Of course!!! All quitters welcome lol!!!

Fair play everyone. Day 10 here now and no physical symptoms anymore (maybe still a small bit of unrest sleeping but nothing major).

Psychologically Ive noticed that Ive stopped waking up thinking 'damn, I cant smoke!'.

I feel ok about it all and kind of forgetting what day Im on - I only know cos Day 1 was Jan 1 etc... I think when we get into Feb Ill lose track of my day count. Although I will always be able to reference the start of the year.

I havent had any social events, bars or restaurants yet. Id say itll be ok, Im worried about drinking too much and just forgetting myself so will prob stick to just a couple of drinks on a nite out for the next while anyway.

Day 3

Morning has started off a little bit better than yesterday.

Football last night was great, was way fitter than before and recovery time was much improved and thats only after 2 days off the fags.

Head is still a bit cloudy and have this horrible pain in behind my eyes. Feels like a smokers flu. That and the night sweating are my major physical symptoms! Still sticking through it though, supposed to be the last major day of it today so determined to get through this, if only so that I wont have to go through this again

Well day 6 here and its going good. I'm thinking about smoking less and less. In college and stood out with others having a fag and was fine :D

Can feel the difference in my breathing, and have to say that the smell of people who have just been smoking is horrible, which is helping me want to stay off them.

• Advertisement

Day 3 here,
    Had a tough time last night before went to bed, real panic attack, persuaded myself that I would have a few drags of a cigar in a few min, get puting off the few min until it eased.
    My God have so much time on my hands in the morning.
    Head still fuzzy but not as bad as yesterday, more like hangover today as opposed to being drunk yesterday.

Herself using the patches and plastic cig, I am using the plastic cig only.
    Have to keep telling myself I can do this as I didit before and lasted 2 1/2 years without them. has taken 5 more years to get back to place of giving them up.
    Dam Hard though.
    wish I was one of those that only smoked <5 a day- if I was would never even think about giving them up, but I'm not

DAY THREE
    Last night was very tough. Slept very little and when I did I had crazy dreams. Headache easing bit today. Cravings still not bad. If I could just get some sleep I would be flying. So determined not to give in cos I NEVER EVER want to go through this again.
    Hope everyone keeping strong. Is feidir linn.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cassia

I'm with you lorri on the smell. Twice already today I have felt sick by the smell of fags of people who have come into our office. I read in the paper yesterday about the increase of lung cancer in women and it scared me.

DAY FOUR
    Slept great last night for first time since becoming a non smoker. No major cravings just a niggly kind of feeling!!! A feeling confident that i can beat the fags!!!!
    Hope everyone else is doing well.
    Myself and my hubby both off them and have nearly €80 saved in just four days. great motivation in that.

On day % now,
    towards end of day 3 and also at times day 4 the mood was not good. would take the head off anyone around me.
    Feeling a little calmer today(so far).
    End of day 3 was dam hard though cravings intense.
    Back to the " I'll have one in 5 min"
    The one thing that kept me going at times was that I had gone through such hardship would be a f###er to have it wasted.

sarah101 - 80 euro saved in just 4 days - thats AMAZING!!!! Such a motivator!!

I was spending 30ish a week on the habit. I spent about 30 quid on an Amazon order last week. Thats just one weeks smoking. There were 5 books in it. Imagine - I could buy 5 books a week for a year and itd be the same amount I was spending on smoking!!! Its madness that we were spending so much on it.

3 or 4 months of smoking is my entire years gym membership!!

I tell you, Im gonna be walking round in expensive clothes and foorwear this year!!! Because Im worth it :)

Day 13 btw - all going well!

sarah101 - 80 euro saved in just 4 days - thats AMAZING!!!! Such a motivator!!

That eighty euro is between myself and my hubby. We were each smoking twenty a day @ €9.10 a pack so we rounded that up to €10 a pack. Day five now so €100 euro in the kitty.
    Think so far today was my best day.
    Too stubborn to give in now after getting this far. We are now NON SMOKERS.
    Hope everyone else doing well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 locater7

am on day seven here-last two days been hardest so far-i ythink the buzz of quitting got me throught the first 3-4 days.
    quitting after smoking 30 plus a day for last 28 years of my life
    sick of them dictating what i do when i do and how i do it and costing me a fortune same time.
    first attempt at quitting here-best of luck everybody
    declined invitation to go for a few scoops tonight-just do not feel strong enough yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 baby s

Hi all, I hope you dont mind be joining in the convo, I have been lurking around for a few days and finding all the messages of people going through the same torture of giving up that I am really helpful. Although I'm about to craic so I thought posting might help! I'm on day 6 and unfortunately for me I have found the days getting harder instead of easier. I have taken up running in the evenings and plan to join the gym next week. But I also suffer with anxiety and one of the areas it effects me most is when I have to drive somewhere I'm not familar with which I have to do shortly, I'm finding it very hard not to run out the door and buy 20 smokes!!! So I figured if I started posting my progress too and hope it keeps me on the straight and narrow!:(:eek:

• Advertisement

baby s wrote: »
    Hi all, I hope you dont mind be joining in the convo, I have been lurking around for a few days and finding all the messages of people going through the same torture of giving up that I am really helpful. Although I'm about to craic so I thought posting might help! I'm on day 6 and unfortunately for me I have found the days getting harder instead of easier. I have taken up running in the evenings and plan to join the gym next week. But I also suffer with anxiety and one of the areas it effects me most is when I have to drive somewhere I'm not familar with which I have to do shortly, I'm finding it very hard not to run out the door and buy 20 smokes!!! So I figured if I started posting my progress too and hope it keeps me on the straight and narrow!:(:eek:

Fair dues to you

I'm, on day 6 too and am finding it getting a little bit more difficult as well, I think because I was quite sick for the first few days. Give yourself a break you're doing the best you can.

For the anxiety, be sure treat yourself to a couple of smoke free deep breaths while out on your drive. Remember that what your doing now by giving up smoking you might have thought impossible a couple of weeks/months ago. You've already proved that you are in control

By the way, I've found these video's very useful, just watch the appropriate one on each day of your quit it gives you an idea of what to expect.

http://whyquit.com/joel/daysix.htm

Advertisement