Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Grant - How Much Can I Expect?

• 11-08-2010 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am going to go to college as a mature student next September to study Web Design. I am currently unemployed and don't expect to work in Ireland up until I start the course as I am going to travel outside Ireland.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on how much the mature student grant is? I will be 25 when the course starts.

Some people told me that it is about 200e a week but I am hearing mixed reviews.

Thanks in advance,
    Fergal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

fergal_d wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am going to go to college as a mature student next September to study Web Design. I am currently unemployed and don't expect to work in Ireland up until I start the course as I am going to travel outside Ireland.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on how much the mature student grant is? I will be 25 when the course starts.

Some people told me that it is about 200e a week but I am hearing mixed reviews.

Thanks in advance,
    Fergal

there is no grant this yr for mature students..only back to education allow.
    Im gutted too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

Im gutted too..
    Somewhat true

You can only get BTEA or a grant but not both. You can apply for a grant if you are going that route but if you spend a minimum of 9 months on social welfare payments like job seeker allowance you can apply to get BTEA and overall it is more money then the highest grant payment.

You will be able to apply for the grants to pay for your fees though which is a considerable amount and may rise by next year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Im gutted too..

This is not correct. As far as I know, you can get either the BTEA or a maintance grant but not both which you could do previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,724 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

fergal_d wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks in advance,
    Fergal

Ok

You can either get the Grant OR BTEA

The grant is quite low - The highest rate is €6K but it's quite difficult to get that - the deadline to apply is August 31st so you need to get the application in ASAP details at www.studentfinance.ie

The BTEA gives you the same as your dole - €196 per week - but you have to be claiming JSB or JSA for 6 months in order to qualify

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Ok

You can either get the Grant OR BTEA

The grant is quite low - The highest rate is €6K but it's quite difficult to get that - the deadline to apply is August 31st so you need to get the application in ASAP details at www.studentfinance.ie

The BTEA gives you the same as your dole - €196 per week - but you have to be claiming JSB or JSA for 6 months in order to qualify

As far as I know, up until recently u had to be claiming social welfare for 12 mths, it was reduced again to 9 mths recently, surprisingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,724 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

As far as I know, up until recently u had to be claiming social welfare for 12 mths, it was reduced again to 9 mths recently, surprisingly.

Yes it was 12 months but I was told recently by FAS it is now actually 6 months

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Yes it was 12 months but I was told recently by FAS it is now actually 6 months

OK fair nuff, said on the paper recently tho that it is now 9 months.. 6 mths is grand, it's been a while since it was that.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just a reminder to posters...
    whatever about other forums, it's important that any statements made here about the availability or non-availability of funding and grants is accurate.

People can make serious decisions about their future based on information here, so please be sure anything you post is accurate, thanks.

Advertisement