Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dogs returning to UK from Eire

• 30-12-2015 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I'm looking for DEFINITIVE clarification of regulations regarding returning from Eire to UK with dogs, if anyone can help?
    So for years been bringing dogs over and back, no paperwork, no problems.

This year London vet told me I HAD to get passport for both dogs and that at least 5 days before returning to UK I HAD to take dogs to local Irish vet for worming tablets and stamp in passport (also possibly tick treatment, can't remember)
    So I've just done this in Ireland, Irish vet has told me I DON'T have to do this, only European mainland requires it. He said in his experience with Irish greyhound handlers, private individuals with less than 5 dogs are NOT required to worm or get stamp.
    Who is right, or how do I find out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭3dogs

I travel back and forth a bit and my dogs have a passport and the rabies vaccine but nothing else is required between Ireland and the UK.

The worm/tick treatment is only coming back into the UK from continental Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Blueboggirl

3dogs wrote:
    The worm/tick treatment is only coming back into the UK from continental Europe

Thank you. Did it for nothing then, but I'll know for next time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

3dogs is absolutely correct, passport and rabies is all that is required between Eire and the UK.

The Irish vet isn't quite right either though, if travelling with more than 5 dogs per person, unless going to a competition, you have to conform to other regulations, but between UK and Eire, those don't include worming and tick treatment, its more about having the vehicle registered for transport etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

We travelled to UK from ireland and back again with our dog last month. We were there for several weeks.
    We had him chipped (since we were at it), a passport and rabies shot.
    The Irish vet told us that passport/rabies were all that were required. He said not necessary to bring him the day before we travelled for worming - that Irish/UK customs do not require this.
    We went by ferry to UK. NOT A SINGLE ferry/customs official asked to see any paperwork, or even glanced at the dog - on either trip.
    I did ask the customs folks in UK about travelling with a dog, they said that yes, a rabies/passport is required, but they do not require worming between Ireland/UK. Again, no one even glanced at the dog.
    We travelled to France a couple times while we were in UK, but did not bring the dog on those short visits - we were told that rabies WOULD be required for mainland Europe, and WORMING would also be required...

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

We have travelled over and back to Ireland from the UK and were told initially that we needed a passport and rabies vaccine by one vet- i then rang and spoke to 4 different vets who said it is not needed going to Ireland. I ended up getting it just in case but i have never been asked for it or even had anyone commenting on having a dog in the back seat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Blueboggirl

Thank you for replies and experience. I think its a joke that it's only rumour and heresay on this matter, everything I read and hear is contradictory, talk about how it's always been law but not enforced between UK and Eire but now is etc. My dogs are not young and I don't want to be giving them ANYTHING unnecessary.
    I was told back in England if I didnt do all this, and I was pulled, the dogs would be removed into quarantine and I'd be liable for costs and fine.
    I'm going back tomorrow morning ( if the ferry sails) and I'm going to actually stop at the customs bit and ask, see what they say there. Anything interesting I'll post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭3dogs

From the dept of agriculture website... as a new user i can't post the link
    but it is agriculture gov ie pets
    "Pet Travel
    Cats, Dogs or Ferrets into or out of Ireland:
    Pet Cats, dogs or ferrets accompanied by their owner - Non-commercial movement
    Cats, dogs or ferrets to/from other Member states of the EU.
    Persons travelling on holiday or to permanently locate their residence (or other non-commercial movement where there is no sale or change of ownership involved) to/ from Ireland to/from another EU Member States may bring their pet cat, dog, or ferret with them provided the following conditions are met:
    The pet must be identified by a microchip* (a transponder readable by a device compatible with ISO standard 11785);
    The animal must be accompanied by an EU Pet Passport* in respect of the animal which demonstrates that the animal is currently immunized against rabies and in cases where a dog is being brought in from countries other than Finland, Malta or the UK, that it has been treated against Echinococcus multilocularis (tapeworm) not more than 120 hours (5 days) and not less than 24 hours (1 day) prior to scheduled arrival time in Ireland;
    In cases where the number of animals being moved exceeds 5, a veterinary health certificate to demonstrate that the animals have been clinically examined within 48 hours of departure is also required unless the owner can show proof that the animals are being brought to compete in a sporting event or other competition"

It is a requirement to have the passport and shot and there are pretty harsh penalties for not having them, personally I can't take the risk with my dogs that they could be taken off me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

UK requires worming within five days of traveling for sure. It's on UK dept of agriculture site. Can't post link. Had ours done a few weeks back. Highly unlikely you will be asked for any paper work either side. The ONLY place to seek this information is the agriculture website of the importing country. Pet transport companies will usually refer you to these also. Vets are cloudy on this with the exception of lissenhall in swords as they act as quarantine here in Ireland.

UK requires worming within five days of traveling for sure. It's on UK dept of agriculture site. Can't post link. Had ours done a few weeks back. Highly unlikely you will be asked for any paper work either side. The ONLY place to seek this information is the agriculture website of the importing country. Pet transport companies will usually refer you to these also. Vets are cloudy on this with the exception of lissenhall in swords as they act as quarantine here in Ireland.

It states very clearly on the DEFRA website that worming is not needed between the UK and Ireland, Finland, Norway or Malta. https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/tapeworm-treatment-dogs

I was checked at Rosslare Port on 31st December, they looked at all of the passports and checked the date of rabies vaccination. They didn't however scan the dogs to make sure the passports they saw related to the dogs I had, so its a nonsense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Stand corrected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Just back from the UK after travelling with one dog over Christmas.

On advice from my Vet and also going by what the Dept of Agriculture requirements are about pet travel, mine had his rabies shot in early November. Then visited the vet 24hrs prior to travel to receive the tapeworm and flea treatment (although looking at https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/travel-within-the-eu, flea isn't needed for entering UK just tapeworm). A pet passport is needed now (& microchipping) between UK & Ireland.

Vet wasn't too sure about whether I needed to visit a vet for check over within 24hrs before returning to Ireland so I didn't do this, think that might be required if the journey is over 5 days?.

Saying that, for the bother of it, the car didn't even get a glance, it's pure fluke I reckon if you get stopped. But I wouldn't want to be taking a chance.

I know of one person who thinks that competition dogs don't need passports but I can't see any mention of this on Dept of Agriculture and would not be going by hearsay at all.

carav10 wrote: »
    Just back from the UK after travelling with one dog over Christmas.

On advice from my Vet and also going by what the Dept of Agriculture requirements are about pet travel, mine had his rabies shot in early November. Then visited the vet 24hrs prior to travel to receive the tapeworm and flea treatment (although looking at https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/travel-within-the-eu, flea isn't needed for entering UK just tapeworm). A pet passport is needed now (& microchipping) between UK & Ireland.

Vet wasn't too sure about whether I needed to visit a vet for check over within 24hrs before returning to Ireland so I didn't do this, think that might be required if the journey is over 5 days?.

Saying that, for the bother of it, the car didn't even get a glance, it's pure fluke I reckon if you get stopped. But I wouldn't want to be taking a chance.

I know of one person who thinks that competition dogs don't need passports but I can't see any mention of this on Dept of Agriculture and would not be going by hearsay at all.

No worming or flea treatment is needed between UK and Ireland, and no vet check. https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/tapeworm-treatment-dogs

The confusion sometimes arises around competition dogs because extra rules exist if you are travelling with more than 5 dogs, that is classed as a commercial transport. However, there is an exemption around the extra rules if you are going to a competition. It is ONLY around the extra rules, all dogs, whether going to competition or not, have to have the passport, microchip and up to date rabies vacc.

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

Advertisement