Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Facts that go against the grain completely

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

ash23 wrote: »
    Donald Duck comics were banned in Finland because he doesn't wear pants.

More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with.

If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction

The Flintstones aren't broadcast in Saudi Arabia. They don't allow them.

But Abu Dhabi do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

If you put 40 strangers into a room at random, the Probability that two people share a birthday is >90%

The Pacific side of the Panama Canal is further East than the Atlantic side of the Panama Canal.

The quickest way to stop a bolting horse is very often to drop the reins entirely, not to pull harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Russia, North Korea, South Korea And Vietnam have a combined military population that is larger then the rest of the worlds combined.

If Russia, North Korea and China combined forces then we would all be fooked.

Vietnam has a larger army than the USA.

Couting reserves is a bit of a joke. The US has nearly 4 times the number of full time active soldiers that Vietnam has. And that's before you count the navy or airforce which US would hammer Vietnam in terms of full time members.

US also has way more soldiers than Russia. Only one that beats US in terms of soldier numbers is China. They have nearly twice what the US has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Strange Fact:

This thread is now about obscure facts rather than facts that go against the grain....fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

44leto wrote: »
    LOL

Its now there is 24 hour new and newspeak whether there is 24 hours of news worthy news or not, most stories are fillers.

I would love to flick on the 6 one only to hear Sharon say good evening there was no news today, now here is some cartoons to replace this scheduled programme.

Or just had a chat, nothing in particular, I'd say Dobbo has a few decent anecdotes up his sleeve and Sharon could talk about her slutty days when she was in college, who ever's on the sports desk can just ramble off some obscure facts about the GAA, oh and, and, every 7 minutes a horn sounds and they all have to switch seats in a clockwise direction and last to sit down has to do a jaggerbomb and I'm going to stop now...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Statistically 6 out Ot the 7 dwarfs are not happy

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Russia, North Korea, South Korea And Vietnam have a combined military population that is larger then the rest of the worlds combined.

If Russia, North Korea and China combined forces then we would all be fooked.

Vietnam has a larger army than the USA.

Larger doesn't mean more powerful.
    If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction

Assuming that the current rate of production will be sustained indefinitely, it's already dropping off.....population is set for a large decrease in future.
    (Also assuming that there will always be Chinese people or even humans)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭pacquiao

the north pole is actually magnetic south.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

djPSB wrote: »
    Pressing ctrl+alt+down arrow makes your mouse faster.

Always Google any suggested keyboard shortcuts, oh and if you have a "C:\Windows\System32" folder make sure to delete it as viruses use it to corrupt your system.

Against the grain thingy:

You will not explode (or turn inside out) nor will you immediately freeze to death from exposure to the vacuum of space.
    The first major potential injury would come from fluid/gas expanding, so you should exhale immediately upon exposure (if you don't you will likely die much sooner).

Water would vaporize when there is no pressure so that would be painful for your mouth and other wet areas but not fatal.

The lack of pressure would also cause nitrogen bubbles in your blood (aka: the bends), probably extremely painful but again not fatal.
    Direct exposure to the sun (assuming there is one in the vicinity) would cause instant sunburn.

Due the lack of matter surrounding your body there would be no risk of heat loss until you were long dead from oxygen deprivation so no need to pack an extra sweater if you're planning for the worst on Dec 21st.

According to some website I just googled you would still be totally lucid, awake and have all your higher brain functions for at least 10 seconds after exposure to the vacuum of space, maybe long enough to save yourself (though chances are things are only going to go downhill if you somehow managed to find yourself in this position.)

Apparently your brain and heart will continue to live relatively undamaged for almost two minutes so if some sound aliens happen to swoop in and pump you full of oxygen in an earth-like atmosphere you would actually survive the experience:

" Without intervention in those first ninety seconds, the blood pressure would fall sufficiently that the blood itself would begin to boil, and the heart would stop beating. There are no recorded instances of successful resuscitation beyond that threshold."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

Reading the word ''Yawn'' makes you want to yawn, seeing someone else yawn also makes you want to yawn.

I'm a cnut I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Sindri wrote: »
    They shouldn't though ;). If you actually read my post, they should not be able to fly, until it was observed that they flip their wings over on the upstroke. That is why they can fly.

There was no mention of whatever it was that you linked to. ;)

Until recently we did not know how they flew. ;). Until it was observed. ;) As was detailed in my post.

Not knowing precisely how something flies is not the same as saying it shouldn't be able to fly. Only a moron would think like that. If you'd read the link I gave, this stupid myth arose because a scientist, in joking, mentioned that if you applied the same theories of aerodynamic lift from planes to bees, then they wouldn't be able to fly. Facetious, of course, as bees aren't planes and can flap their wings.

Quod Erat Shut the Fvck Up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.

Are you quoting facts off Father Ted :D
    lmao wrote: »
    If you say gullible really slow, it sounds like oranges.

:mad::o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Are you quoting facts off Father Ted :D

Shhhh...
    A good journalist never reveals her sources. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Towing a Toyota Prius in reverse at 70mph will produce petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

A duck's quack will never echo.

smash wrote: »
    A duck's quack will never echo.

False

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Wossack

Its estimated that 90 percent of the cells in the human body, are from non-human organisms :eek:

link

• Roman Emperors ordered the death of a gladiator by giving a thumbs up. The thumb represented the sword, so if the thumb was up it was an indication to draw the sword. If the gladiators life was to be spared the thumb was kept inside a clenched fist just like a sheathed sword.
    No, it was thumbs down for the execution, the clenched fist was used as you say to save him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The Yo-Yo was originally used as a weapon in the philippines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

No one actually knows what a tracker mortgage is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Dominos will get to your house before emergency services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Dammit.... better let the poor fella out of that cave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Batsy wrote: »

Britain is the only country in the world that doesn't have its name on postage stamps.

Britain is not a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

If ants where the same size as humans they would walk at about 180mph

No they wouldn't... sure they'd be a lot heavier!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

komodosp wrote: »
    No they wouldn't... sure they'd be a lot heavier!
    But if everything in the creature is scaled up they would be built to handle that weight by ten.

But if everything in the creature is scaled up they would be built to handle that weight by ten.

Ants scaled up by ten wouldn't be able to stand up, let alone walk
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SquareCubeLaw
    if you double a critter's size, you end up with four times the muscle power moving eight times the mass, so instead of having the same relative agility as the original, the double-sized creature actually has only half.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

A Toblerone can only be bought in airport duty frees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

9 out of 10 people enjoy gang rape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Not knowing precisely how something flies is not the same as saying it shouldn't be able to fly. Only a moron would think like that. If you'd read the link I gave, this stupid myth arose because a scientist, in joking, mentioned that if you applied the same theories of aerodynamic lift from planes to bees, then they wouldn't be able to fly. Facetious, of course, as bees aren't planes and can flap their wings.

Quod Erat Shut the Fvck Up

Not really. They shouldn't be able to fly, as it was thought, for different reasons than to what you linked to, mainly it not being physically possible for them to be able to create enough lift by conventional means. I've already explained it. Good luck.

Don't really see the sense of your objections other than pedantry, and your commitment to them, which I could only imagine the reason for.

• Advertisement

Sindri wrote: »
    Not really. They shouldn't be able to fly, as it was thought, for different reasons than to what you linked to, mainly it not being physically possible for them to be able to create enough lift by conventional means. I've already explained it. Good luck.

Don't really see the sense of your objections other than pedantry, and your commitment to them, which I could only imagine the reason for.

I will take no acknowledgement of your post except to say you clearly lack understanding of basic English

Advertisement