Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming a carers allowance??

• 10-10-2011 9:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Can a person/carer claim a "carers allowance",if the carer lives in a different house to the person who needs the care??

The carer lives in their own house,but currently looks after this person in this persons house for around 8-9 hours a day,7 days a week and gives them their medication,keeps them company and does their washing and cooking/cleaning.

So is the carer entitled to claim for a carers allowance or any sort of caring payment in this situation,??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

From [url]www.welfare.ie:[/url]

To be entitled to a Carer's Allowance:
    You must be living with, or in a position to provide full-time care and attention to a person in need of care who does not normally live in an institution. However, you may continue to be regarded as providing full-time care and attention, if you or the person being cared for is undergoing medical or other treatment in a hospital or other institution for a period not longer than 13 weeks.
    You must be resident in the State.
    You must not live in a hospital, convalescent home or other similar institution.
    You must be at least 18 years old and
    You must not be engaged in employment, self-employment, training or education courses outside the home for more than 15 hours a week. During your absence, adequate care for the person requiring full-time care and attention must be arranged.
    The person being cared for must be:
    Over the age of 16 and so incapacitated as to require full-time care and attention or
    Aged under 16 and in receipt of a Domiciliary Care Allowance.
    The person receiving care is regarded as requiring full-time care and attention where

He or she is so incapacitated as to require continuous supervision in order to avoid danger to him or herself or continual supervision and frequent assistance throughout the day in connection with normal bodily functions, and
    He or she is so incapacitated as to be likely to require full-time care and attention for a period of at least twelve months.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/IllnessDisabilityAndCaring/Carers/CarersAllowance/Pages/ca.aspx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I know all that,can you please explain that 1st part to me,where it says........."You must be living with, or in a position to provide full-time care and attention to a person in need of care who does not normally live in an institution"

Please explain that bit "or in a position"

Also this part too........"He or she is so incapacitated as to require continuous supervision in order to avoid danger to him or herself or continual supervision and frequent assistance throughout the day in connection with normal bodily functions"

"Frequent assistance throughout the day"????

The way its all worded,its so muddled up that its very hard to know what you are reading and what the simple and straight forward answers and conditions are,with regards to what I posted in my opening post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Also from Welfare.ie - Operational Guidelines:

"The Carer must live with the person being cared for. In certain limited circumstances this requirement may be relaxed.

The following guidelines will apply when eligibility for Carer's Allowance is being considered for a non-resident carer.

A carer must be providing full-time care and attention.
    A carer's personal circumstances must be suitable to allow him/her to provide full time care and attention.
    All non-resident care situations may require investigation by a Social Welfare Inspector before consideration by the Deciding Officer.
    A direct system of communication must exist between the carer's residence and that of the care recipient. This may be a telephone or alarm type system.
    The care recipient must not already be receiving full-time care and attention within his or her own residence from another person.
    Only one Carer's Allowance will be payable in respect of any one caring situation."

In practice, Welfare will usually accept an application if the Carer lives within walking distance.

Also from Welfare.ie - Operational Guidelines:

"The Carer must live with the person being cared for. In certain limited circumstances this requirement may be relaxed.

The following guidelines will apply when eligibility for Carer's Allowance is being considered for a non-resident carer.

A carer must be providing full-time care and attention.
    A carer's personal circumstances must be suitable to allow him/her to provide full time care and attention.
    All non-resident care situations may require investigation by a Social Welfare Inspector before consideration by the Deciding Officer.
    A direct system of communication must exist between the carer's residence and that of the care recipient. This may be a telephone or alarm type system.
    The care recipient must not already be receiving full-time care and attention within his or her own residence from another person.
    Only one Carer's Allowance will be payable in respect of any one caring situation."

In practice, Welfare will usually accept an application if the Carer lives within walking distance.

Thanks for that,thats more like the sort of info I was hoping for and looking for

Yes,the carer does live within a 5 minute walk of the person who needs the care.Theres a constant telephone and mobile phone communication between both parties.

The carer is only on a lone parent payment at present.The carer spends around 8-9 hours a day,throughout the day,in both caring for the person,and giving them their daily medication (as asked to by the GP doctor).

The person who needs the care is at home,is long term ill and now needing assistance in day to day duties and also help in taking daily medication,and is not getting any care from anywhere else or anyone else,except for the current carer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mcbuffalo

I used to be my sisters carer after she had a brain heamorage. I didn't live with her, but did have to prove we had constant contact by phone. I also had to name a person who would be with her when I wasn't. They are quiet strict and did check up on the situation a number of times. also if the carer is in receipt of another Social Welfare payment they will only get half the carers allowance rate. Good Luck

• Advertisement

mcbuffalo wrote: »
    I used to be my sisters carer after she had a brain heamorage. I didn't live with her, but did have to prove we had constant contact by phone. I also had to name a person who would be with her when I wasn't. They are quiet strict and did check up on the situation a number of times. also if the carer is in receipt of another Social Welfare payment they will only get half the carers allowance rate. Good Luck

Thanks,half rate would be very wellcomed by the carer.

Unfortunately,theres no one else to care for the person,apart from the current friend/carer.

Anything,any amount would be wellcomed in fact to help out and also in recognition for the daily caring role,that the GP doctor suggested to be done..

mcbuffalo wrote: »

The person in question rang the SW office/department that deals with carers allowance thios morning,and got passed to 3 people in 2 different sections.

I was there and sat in on the phone conversation,which was on loudspeaker.The phone conversation ended with more questions than answers,due to the total lack of information recieved.

A quickly arranged meeting with the Citizins Information this afternoon,and then a quick phone call to speak with the GP Doctor gave the person in question the exact details and information required and also a booklet and application form for carers allowance,which this person is actually entitled to.

The doctor has to fill out a section of the claim form and has no problem in verifying that the person who needs the care,genuinely need the care and assistance,and that the carer in question,is the only 1 who is in a position to care for the person,even though the person lives in a seperate house.

So thanks to the CI and the GP Doctor for clearing up this matter very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

paddy if this girl (im presuming its a girl) is successfull in her carers application she will also be entitled to the respite care grant , free travel and the household benefits package. but she will have to apply for the package. Ask the GP to confirm that she was caring for the person since the start of June at least, and ask for the respite care grant to be backdated.:)

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    paddy if this girl (im presuming its a girl) is successfull in her carers application she will also be entitled to the respite care grant , free travel and the household benefits package. but she will have to apply for the package. Ask the GP to confirm that she was caring for the person since the start of June at least, and ask for the respite care grant to be backdated.:)

Thanks and duely noted.:)

Am I right in saying the the respite care grant is automatily granted once the carers allowance is granted,snd that its payed once a year,in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

thats right. the claimant has nothing to lose in asking for the carers allowance to be backdated to the date she started caring. a note from the GP regarding this wouldn't go astray.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Mrs. Byrne knows her stuff!!;) However, in my experience if you miss the June payment of Respite it is gone forever, they don't backdate that element, also you should apply for the Respite Care Grant at the same time as Carer's as, if by any chance they denied the Carer's Claim they may still allow the RCG.

Can I ask this question.....

The care,er go to and attends to this person needing care for around 8 hours a day and 7 days a week.The GP/Doctor recommended that the person be cared for and looked after each day,due to the nature of the illness

So is 8 hours a day enough hours (in the eyes of the Sociall Wellfare) to qualify as caring for this person and getting half rate care,ers allowance??

Thanks.:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

- Residency requirements
    The Carer must live with the person being cared for. In certain limited circumstances this requirement may be relaxed.
    1. A carer must be providing full-time care and attention.
    2. A carer's personal circumstances must be suitable to allow him/her to provide full time care and attention.
    3. All non-resident care situations may require investigation by a Social Welfare Inspector before consideration by the Deciding Officer.
    4. A direct system of communication must exist between the carer's residence and that of the care recipient. This may be a telephone or alarm type system.
    5. The care recipient must not already be receiving full-time care and attention within his or her own residence from another person.
    6. Only one Carer's Allowance will be payable in respect of any one caring situation.
    from here http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/carers_all.aspx

mp22 wrote: »
    - Residency requirements
    The Carer must live with the person being cared for. In certain limited circumstances this requirement may be relaxed.
    1. A carer must be providing full-time care and attention.
    2. A carer's personal circumstances must be suitable to allow him/her to provide full time care and attention.
    3. All non-resident care situations may require investigation by a Social Welfare Inspector before consideration by the Deciding Officer.
    4. A direct system of communication must exist between the carer's residence and that of the care recipient. This may be a telephone or alarm type system.
    5. The care recipient must not already be receiving full-time care and attention within his or her own residence from another person.
    6. Only one Carer's Allowance will be payable in respect of any one caring situation.
    from here http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/carers_all.aspx

Eh yes I know all that allready.

And the carer DOES NOT have to live full time with the person being cared for,thats from the CI and also in the carers booklet too.

Can you possibly answer the question that I asked please,with regards caring 8 hours a day and 7 days a week??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

No one can answer that question. Only Carers can answer that question. Phone Carers section.

Advertisement