Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T-Mobile G1 Google phone Unlock Guide

• 30-10-2008 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

This is not free. This is what I did. Do what you do. I have an unlocked G1.

1. Buy phone
    2. Wait
    3. Wait more patiently
    4. Open that box that arrived while you were out... OMFG IT'S A G1!!!
    5. Go to this site... [www.unlock-tmobileg1.com]
    6. Read/watch the testimonial by Loic Le Meur
    7. Become a member of the site.
    8. Buy the service (Paypal certified.... now it looks like commission... poop)
    9. Wait even more patiently....
    10. Unlock code given. phone unlocked!
    11. Now the apn settings pre-installed have to be deleted, because they all relate to T-Mobile (they like you THAT much...)
    12. After throwing off the shackles of consumer oppression, go here.
    13. That wasn't very far, was it? Enter in details specific to your network. It takes time, terms differ. It will work.
    14. Enjoy the experience. It's open. Open.

Also, if anybody wants the meteor settings I can share.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

does anyone have one btw?
    EDIT:if you unlock a g1 via the unlock code that works on all of them (G1s) your google account, incl. gmail, app store os gone......
    or just wait till your carrier gives you the sim unlock code pc world

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Could someone pls let us know what's exciting about this phone...

its OS .......duh

• Registered Users Posts: 7 joe64716

metalfest wrote: »
    does anyone have one btw?
    EDIT:if you unlock a g1 via the unlock code that works on all of them (G1s) your google account, incl. gmail, app store os gone......
    or just wait till your carrier gives you the sim unlock code pc world

the unlock codes are unique to the imei code the company require of you.

the os is the amazing feature of this phone, the versatility of the apps being made. already there's a flock of sites starting up with the intent of providing tools, games, browsers, rss feeders, you name it... OPEN!!!

there is a code that works on all of them. see my link in previous post.
    any idea which irish network will have it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

joe64716 wrote: »
    1. Buy phone

Break it down for me here ;) ... where did you buy it? Did it come with a T-Mobile SIM (whether active or not) / did it need a T-Mobile SIM to get started in the unlocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

I can't helped but notice that the OP has 2 posts, both of which are in this thread......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

its OS .......duh

Excellent reply. Now perhaps you can expand on how it is better than the mature ms and symbian platforms. The hype reminds me of the whole linux will take over because it is open arguement.

its open sourced, which means you can personalize quite a bit, if you ever looked at people mobile phones, what do most ppl try to do? personalize it. that's the idea with this OS.
    you can make your own apps a lot easier, you can find loads of apps made by other people. its going to be upgraded Quicker and quicker , phone companies are bringing out their own phones with android.
    in short , Android is the big hype about this phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

its open sourced, which means you can personalize quite a bit, if you ever looked at people mobile phones, what do most ppl try to do? personalize it. that's the idea with this OS.
    you can make your own apps a lot easier, you can find loads of apps made by other people. its going to be upgraded Quicker and quicker , phone companies are bringing out their own phones with android.
    in short , Android is the big hype about this phone.

The OS being open means that developers are not restricted within a sandbox like they are for other platforms. It opens the scope of what can be created. For instance, some platforms wouldn't let you have access to specific areas of the phone, like the camera or the contacts list, for use in an application. The ShopSavvy application is an example of this.

There are what I call two levels of development with android

- Applications that are designed and run within the Dalvik VM,
    - Applications that modify the underlying source of the OS e.g. the dialler program,

with the first level designed to run within the second.

Most applications will probably be written to the first level, programs like games, calendars, to-do's etc. As I mentioned earlier, that layer has access to functions within the OS that are conventionally closed off on other platforms. One of the big issues is that the featurelist of the OS is not fully complete. For instance, there is no XMPP implementation or access to the GTalkServices for developers. This is due to be introduced at an unspecified date. However, since people have access to the entire source expect missing features to be created by a third party (I believe there is already a group working on an XMPP implementation). There's even talk of getting the OS working on a Touch HD!

What this means to non-developers is that theoretically there should be a wide range of diverse and unique (for lack of a better word) applications available on the android market. As metalfest said, the potential for customization is immense. As a user and hobbyist I personally cannot wait to get my hands on one.

Naturally enough this is all early stages at the moment, and only time will tell how successful it becomes but unlike other closed platforms google has, in a way, placed the future of the OS in the hands of the community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Are these available in the US on prepay? Or can you just go into a store buy one sim free and bring it back for use in Ireland. Does anyone know if they have worldwide 3G bands on them and not just the US 3G band?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

center15 wrote: »
    Are these available in the US on prepay? Or can you just go into a store buy one sim free and bring it back for use in Ireland. Does anyone know if they have worldwide 3G bands on them and not just the US 3G band?

No idea about the bands but they were released in the UK yesterday on bill. AFAIK they're bill only in both the states and UK. There are white sim free versions coming soon (play.com has them listed, £599 is a *wee* bit much...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 muckmakingmach

Bought the new G1 phone yesterday in the states, should be arriving in the post early next week. Has anyone in ireland got it yet. I,m on the meteor network

payg?
    or bill pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Bought the new G1 phone yesterday in the states, should be arriving in the post early next week. Has anyone in ireland got it yet. I,m on the meteor network

Hi did you get this off ebay or from a shop?

Advertisement