Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android app to measure speed, distance etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I use SpeedView and find it excellent. Does not use data.

Gives max, avg, distance, time stopped, 0-60, 1/4 mile, altitude, heading, speed (doh!)...

Easy to overlay on google earth (google maps is very poor with .gbx).

Apparently much more accurate than your cars speedo. I've used it in several vehicles and find the cars speedo to always show 2-5 faster than GPS.

Only fault is one or two 'spikes' where speed drops to 0 for a second or goes to 300mph for a second. I think going under big bridges etc causes this where the signal is lost for a second. No fault of the app though.

EDIT: ohh chít... just re-read your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I use sports tracker. Excellent app

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I thought gps had issues with measuring verticals? Wouldn't that be a factor on determining speed on a slope etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭k123456

One question spings to mind, imagine your phone goes into standby, does the GPS switch off, go into standby when the phone is in standby

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I think mapmyrun will do that for you. You can turn off the mapping bit by just disabling data while abroad. It will still measure your distance, average speed, yada yada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

Google have their own app for this called "My Tracks", which is nice and simple and seems to work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I use cardio trainer for running/cycling.
    I am not sure what, if any data connection it uses. There is a mapping feature but you may be able to turn it off.
    http://www.worksmartlabs.com/cardiotrainer/about.php
    I use it on the Desire and like most other apps mentioned there is a free version available

Advertisement