Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maeve Binchy on God (video)

• 02-08-2012 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I can't say I paid much attention to or took much of an interest in the writer during her life, but I've been lapping up as much as I can since hearing about her death a few days ago. Since her death there have been great interviews played, stories recounted by friends, and tributes paid, and she comes across as such a lovely, kind and generous person.

Anyway, I just stumbled upon this interview she gave Gay Byrne on his 'Meaning of Life' show. I was shocked to hear it, but it turns out she was an unequivocal, unrepentant atheist! :eek:

See the video here:
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=10039611

I found it particularly interesting listening to her describing how she told her father about it, and how he reacted, etc. Sounds like such a wonderfully warm home to grow up in, and her parents sound like incredibly understanding people.

What a lovely woman she was

edit

They even talk about Dawkins at the end, and she endorses his worldview unambiguously! :eek:

Mind. Blown.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Fortyniner

Among the obituaries in the Indy:

http://www.announcement.ie/18457229

'May You Have Found Jesus

I was so sorry to hear of the death of Maeve. In an interview she gave she said that she had lost her faith in Christianity at the age of 23. The made me very sad indeed. To have lived such a wonderful life and not to have know Jesus must have had some lack. But now I'm sure she is reunited with Jesus her savour and her loved ones.'

and

'R.I.P Maeve

I was saddened to hear the news of the untimely death of the lovely Maeve Binchy. she was an amazing person,Wife, Author, Friend,Sister and aunt. rest assured she has already begun a novel about the beauty of heaven, Just a pity we wont be reading it anytime soon. RIP to the wonderful Maeve'

People just can't believe that we really are happy atheists, and I don't think the rules allow atheists into their heaven.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Fortyniner wrote: »

'May You Have Found Jesus

I was so sorry to hear of the death of Maeve. In an interview she gave she said that she had lost her faith in Christianity at the age of 23. The made me very sad indeed. To have lived such a wonderful life and not to have know Jesus must have had some lack. But now I'm sure she is reunited with Jesus her savour and her loved ones.'

and

'R.I.P Maeve

I was saddened to hear the news of the untimely death of the lovely Maeve Binchy. she was an amazing person,Wife, Author, Friend,Sister and aunt. rest assured she has already begun a novel about the beauty of heaven, Just a pity we wont be reading it anytime soon. RIP to the wonderful Maeve'

People just can't believe that we really are happy atheists, and I don't think the rules allow atheists into their heaven.

Absolutely, pretty patronizing from the Indo to publish that condescending CRAP ...

what a deluded MORON - "The made me very sad indeed. To have lived such a wonderful life and not to have know Jesus must have had some lack"

Idiot, That poor person hasn't found Zeus either, Gee!! how they are missing out !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Didn't she have a church funeral? :roll eyes:

I've told my parents/extended family if they have a church funeral for me, I will come back and haunt the hell out of their asses.

Thanks for posting the video, if atheism is good enough for Maeve, who always struck me as a rock of sense, its good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

lazygal wrote: »
    Didn't she have a church funeral? :roll eyes:

I've told my parents/extended family if they have a church funeral for me, I will come back and haunt the hell out of their asses.

Thanks for posting the video, if atheism is good enough for Maeve, who always struck me as a rock of sense, its good enough for me.

Rock of sense? Evidently she had no sense when it came to her health. However you have to respect her literary prowess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

She's a lovely speaker. Very mature approach to things I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,835 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Rock of sense? Evidently she had no sense when it came to her health.

Huh? She was 72. There's plenty of ostensibly healthy people that die before that. Sure, if she was healthier, maybe she would have live longer, but I'm not sure why you're making a point of that.

Would it not be legitimate for many contributors to this board to describe Christopher Hitchens as a "rock of sense" regarding at least certain matters? He died aged 62 from Esophageal cancer - which his heavy drinking and smoking no doubt contributed to. I don't think describing someone as a "rock of sense" is an absolutist term that means that they are infallible.

If it's her weight you're referring to, in a documentary aired the other night she said that she had a heart condition that required exercise, but that arthritis in her back left her unable to do so. Bit of an unfortunate situation to be in.

I assume lazygal's use of the term was referring to her published opinions. Which I admit I'm not familiar with, so I can't comment either way on the veracity of the statement. But I don't see how they would be diminished in any way by her state of health.

My mouth moves quicker than my brain. I really don't know much about Maeve Binchy to be honest, I just saw that she was overweight which isn't a wise state to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

My mouth moves quicker than my brain. I really don't know much about Maeve Binchy to be honest, I just saw that she was overweight which isn't a wise state to be in.

Wow...

Wow...

Wow?

Edit: I feel like I should apologise for what I've been saying about poor Maeve Binchy. I think my criticisms are too soon and probably too inappropriate. Sorry to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Wow?

Edit: I feel like I should apologise for what I've been saying about poor Maeve Binchy. I think my criticisms are too soon and probably too inappropriate. Sorry to all.

She was knackered with arthritis and a dodgy hip. Being limited in mobility means its very hard to keep the pounds off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Point taken, let's move on! :D

She mentions in this interview that she admitted to being an atheist on the Late Late Show originally, and got hundreds of letters! I don't remember it myself, would love to see the clip if anyone can dig it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

If she lived to 72, had a very happy life and sold as many books as she did (42 million I think), then, as far as I can see she was one of life's winners. She outlived her younger sister.

It's hard to picture book worms and authors downing raw eggs and doing 15 miles on a treadmill in leotards.

Coffee and smokes more like. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That's one thing Alan Wake got right, writers can sprint fewer than 10 steps before collapsing.

If she lived to 72, had a very happy life and sold as many books as she did (42 million I think), then, as far as I can see she was one of life's winners. She outlived her younger sister.

It's hard to picture book worms and authors downing raw eggs and doing 15 miles on a treadmill in leotards.

Coffee and smokes more like. :)

Fairly arbitrary and subjective definition of a winner but I've been known to be contrary when it comes to things like that.

Sarky wrote: »
    That's one thing Alan Wake got right, writers can sprint fewer than 10 steps before collapsing.

Yet carry feck all ammunition.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Of course, her brother William Binchy wasn't of the same ilk at all.

Fairly arbitrary and subjective definition of a winner but I've been known to be contrary when it comes to things like that.
    Well it would be better to say it's debatable rather than arbitrary and subjective. (I mean it does have a basis in judging worth via achievement and happiness, which has arguments for it based on objective facts.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

"This is exactly my philosophy, that you have got to play the hand you are dealt. People waste an awful lot of time wishing they were dealt a different hand. There is no such thing as the cavalry coming to rescue you, or a man on a white horse or anything like that. You're not going to be happier if you are thin, rich, or married, because I know a lot of thin rich married people who are as miserable as hell, so that's not the solution."

Ah lads. She was lovely, the poor thing. RIP.

Enkidu wrote: »
    Well it would be better to say it's debatable rather than arbitrary and subjective. (I mean it does have a basis in judging worth via achievement and happiness, which has arguments for it based on objective facts.)

I don't think so, happiness is a moving target.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

As an atheist, I completely understand her having a church funeral if it was for the sake of easing the pain of her loved ones remaining. Sure it would make no odds to her now that she's dead and is a very selfless gift to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wedding? :)

But yeah, I'm the same. If my family (read: my wife) feels that a church funeral would provide her with the most comfort when I die, then she can work away. I'm dead, what do I care? My personal preference is to do a ceremony that the deceased would have enjoyed, but that's the kind of thing that gives me comfort. YMMV.

I don't think so, happiness is a moving target.
    I agree with you. I'm not saying the argument is correct, just that I don't think it's totally arbitrary and subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The priest couldn't resist suggesting that she's in heaven despite having not "found God"

http://www.newstalk.ie//2012/news/hundreds-bid-farewell-to-maeve-binchy-in-dublin/

I suppose it's a funeral in a Catholic Church, and I think he probably worded it as well as he could

• Registered Users Posts: 8,835 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Dave! wrote: »
    The priest couldn't resist suggesting that she's in heaven despite having not "found God".

Well if she is, she probably won't find him there either. :pac:

In fairness, it's not surprising that the priest said it. Catholic teaching is that you can go to heaven if you've led a good life. Exactly what good is, I'm not completely sure, but it doesn't necessarily have to involve Jesus or God: http://www.catholicplanet.com/RCC/who-goes-to-heaven.htm

Many other Christian denominations wouldn't agree, and would stress faith in Jesus as being the ticket for entry. But I think the Pope has a guest list or something.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This bollocks of sending radio journalists along to funerals to tape soundbytes of some priest really pisses me off. It's just tabloid journalism disguised as "public interest". Like when Sky News stand outside someone's house and comment on the media circus while their helicopter flies about overhead.

It's even worse when they send them to the funerals of people who've died tragically as then we have to listen to the bleatings of clergy doing verbal gymnastics to reconcile the death of some poor mother's kids in a car with God's will.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fortyniner wrote: »

bloody Indo Christians, why do they have to jizz on EVERYTHING?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I was at the funeral and there was a bit of double talking - although the priest mentioned that poor Maeve hadn't sadly had the gift of faith (:o) the wording of the standard funeral was full of references to "our sister Maeve now in the hands of the lord" etc etc. So it was almost funny and just the kind of thing that'd have made a great column for Maeve herself in her heyday.

I wasn't a great fan of the books unless I was dying with a flu but she always impressed me as someone who had a true understanding of making a good and well lived life for herself. Her atheism was a bonus for me especially how she was almost like an undercover agent - so many extremely conservative conventional religious Irish people regarded her as the last word in wisdom and then to find out she didn't go to mass!!! I overheard a few of them tut tutting at the funeral.:D

Happened to me mates mother. All of us going were expecting a secular thing (it was a cremation) and next thing ye know theres a priest up talking cack. Her sisters apparently wanted it done that way (afaik-can't really ask as its all a bit "too soon").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

One of the factors that made her such an huge success as a journalist and as a novelist was that she clearly understood humanity and lived life to its fullest.

She left a huge legacy in the form of rich fiction and ground-breaking journalism.

Whatever her personal beliefs, she was a literary and journalistic giant and someone Irish people can be proud to be associated with for centuries to come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Dave! wrote: »
    The priest couldn't resist suggesting that she's in heaven despite having not "found God"

When I heard that on the radio, I got a little bit sick in my mouth.

Atheists of Ireland, IT'S TIME TO GET OUT OF THE F&&KING CLOSET :mad:

Nothing will ever change if we continue to go along with what is easy, what our families want us to do, what is 'less fuss'.. then we wonder why our kids have to listen to state funded religious tripe in school?

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

Advertisement