Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"We can rebuild her!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

outforarun wrote: »
    Excellent move setting up a new log like you did. You should earn a living out of motivation and finding silver linings. Best of luck with your recovery.

Our very own Pollyanna.:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 21 JinkyJ

Best of luck with your new goals RK....

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

Very best of luck with new log and recovery. Look forward to seeing how your progress goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

RK Best of luck.

Sub 50 10K is well within reach if you have a sub 4 marathon done. I know plenty of lads/ladies with 45-46 min 10ks and have failed on several attempts to break 4 hours.

As regards recovery, find a track and start running some laps backwards. Add it to your training schedule thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Good luck with the new log
    Have to agree that sub 20 5k is in there
    I'm inclined to believe that real effective training could get most of us to 16 min or so (if we were at it 7days a week, 52 weeks a year for a long period of time) after that it's probably talent, plenty of room for us mere mortals before we reach our physical limits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    I'm inclined to believe that real effective training could get most of us to 16 min or so !

Are people just going crazy now????

eliwallach wrote: »
    Are people just going crazy now????

The point I'm trying to make is that there is some time at which all of us talented or not can run- maybe its 17 minutes for 5km.... but ultimately most of us never get there because we have neither the time, the inclination nor the dedication to get there. After this point you need the genes and talent to add to the dedication.

In the little programme for the Dunboyne 4mile a few weeks back there was a short piece on the Chairman of Dunboyne AC who only started running a few years ago in middle age, starting with the fit for life group. He's now running 25-26min for 5 miles.
    There's massive potential in us that we don't realise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

The point I'm trying to make is that there is some time at which all of us talented or not can run- maybe its 17 minutes for 5km.... but ultimately most of us never get there because we have neither the time, the inclination nor the dedication to get there. After this point you need the genes and talent to add to the dedication.

In the little programme for the Dunboyne 4mile a few weeks back there was a short piece on the Chairman of Dunboyne AC who only started running a few years ago in middle age, starting with the fit for life group. He's now running 25-26min for 5 miles.
    There's massive potential in us that we don't realise!

Have to agree with you here. If you approach training sensibly and are consistent there no reasons why the average runner is not capable of these by any means

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ecoli wrote: »
    Have to agree with you here. If you approach training sensibly and are consistent there no reasons why the average runner is not capable of these by any means

That requires talent, which I lack. I was always the one who was last in the class at everything on sports day except the 800m, I'm naturally really slow. If I work hard I'll improve, but I can't ever see myself getting really fast.

After rejoicing at tonight's football scores (wins for Man U and Barca, **** yeah) I headed out for another short run. 9 minute walk, 14.5 minute run, just under 7 minute walk, run segment was at 8.47/mile pace but involved some sort of crazy hummingbird-like heart rate (I actually remembered the heart rate monitor strap tonight, I keep forgetting about it). Total of just under 3 miles covered. No pain from the ITB, felt something draggy over my knee but I'm not sure if that was my capris sitting awkwardly...

That requires talent, which I lack. I was always the one who was last in the class at everything on sports day except the 800m, I'm naturally really slow. If I work hard I'll improve, but I can't ever see myself getting really fast.

:eek::eek:
    Unbelievable negative self talk
    Really fast is largely subjective
    At the times most mortals are running talent has very little to do with it, I'd be staggered if you don't knock minutes and minutes off your 5k PB if you put your mind to it. Consider how you approached sub 4 hours and nailed that.

• Advertisement

It's straightforward logic J, you've never worked on raising your lactate threshold, once you do, you will be able to run faster, for longer.

Edit: (For those about to challenge) The above as a combination of other workouts VO2 etc, I'm giving the example of the effects of one aspect of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Just saw your new log RK, good luck with it. Hope the ITB doesn't cause too many more problems and recovery is speedy - much like yourself!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

:eek::eek:
    Unbelievable negative self talk
    Really fast is largely subjective
    At the times most mortals are running talent has very little to do with it, I'd be staggered if you don't knock minutes and minutes off your 5k PB if you put your mind to it. Consider how you approached sub 4 hours and nailed that.

+1, when i was in school I considered a 200m a long distance race. I was only good at 100m and Long Jump. I never thought i could perfrom at a longer distance and now I'm doing Ultras. Talent is only an excuse, hard work is the key to success.

Consider how you approached sub 4 hours and nailed that.

It was funny in the George Payne after the race listening to about 6 different people say "Oh we didn't *actually* think you could go sub-4" :pac:

(ye know who you are)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

It was funny in the George Payne after the race listening to about 6 different people say "Oh we didn't *actually* think you could go sub-4" :pac:

(ye know who you are)

I was going 50/1 that you would the night before actually. I was thinking 50/50 over or under 4:15 tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

That sounds like a challenge:D The human body is capable of extraordinary things

Swimming tonight, did 50 lengths after work. Pretty relaxed, enjoyed that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Just reading your new low RK. Sounds like a good approach and look forward to reading about the PBs falling :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

(ye know who you are)

I was one of those but I meant it from a with all your injury setbacks point of view, I don't think you aim high enough at times :D

Gym today - upper body weights and lots of stretching, strengthening and core work, and my terrible attempts at some yoga poses. I've got a long way to go with this flexibility lark...

Got a nasty shock too when I realised I've put on 3kg since Barcelona. Diet starts Monday :eek:

• Advertisement

Another run today. 8 minute walk - 22 minute run - 11 minute walk. More progress, didn't have any pain at all today. Average pace for the run segment was 9.52/mile - slowed down a bit today, was watching for 6 min/km pace on my Garmin (haven't changed it away from metric since Barcelona). Covered 3.65 miles in total. Pretty happy with that, though trying not to think the fact that I'm missing Conn right now because that's just a depressing thought.

10 walk - 15 run - 10 walk this evening, sloooooooooooooooooow - run segment @ 10.02/mile pace. No pain again. *cheer*

First time getting in 2 days in a row since Barcelona, another milestone hit. :)

10 walk - 15 run - 10 walk this evening, sloooooooooooooooooow - run segment @ 10.02/mile pace. No pain again. *cheer*

First time getting in 2 days in a row since Barcelona, another milestone hit. :)

That's great J, you'll be back in business before you can say 'Giz a bleedin bottle of Berry Bulmers afore I lamp ya'

mrslow wrote: »
    That's great J, you'll be back in business before you can say 'Giz a bleedin bottle of Berry Bulmers afore I lamp ya'

Ah now, I might be from D24 but I'm a cut above Digger :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Ah now, I might be from D24 but I'm a cut above Digger :pac:

Still has you in the gutter though....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi RK,

I have been keeping an eye on this log but only got to post now. Best of luck with the recovery.

I love the log title - I'm showing my age now, but it reminds me of this :"we can rebuild her, we have the technology, we can make her stronger, faster, better than she was before..."

Now all you need is $7M!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Easy does it J! :)

Went to my first ever pilates class this evening, need something to improve my crappy core strength! You know you're a crock of a runner when on the medical section of the class registration form everyone else is racking their brains thinking of what to put down, but you're thinking "There isn't enough space for all my injuries..." :eek:

Followed that up with a run when I got home, 10 min walk/25 min run/10 min walk. No pain out of the injury site, which surprised me because I'd been feeling a few phantom niggles during the day. The run was very slow (10.07/mile pace), but it was more about trying to soothe the mind than anything else today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Delighted you are making real progress injury-wise RK. Fingers crossed you're on the right road now :)

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »
    Fingers crossed you're on the right road now :)

I really, really hope so. This injury has been a real nightmare so far.

Advertisement