Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic TG4/TV3 Sound?

• 03-11-2010 11:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Any other Panasonic users getting the same TG4 sound issue with TV3 now? You have to go into options to get the sound to come up as it is set on nar!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭tvman2

Yes I've the same, the tv manual says that the default sound is set by the broadcaster which in the case of TG4 and now TV3 the default is set to nar (currently no sound) while the other channels are set to eng which gives sound.
    Therefore is it another Panasonic tv (as STB stated "Fisher Price" software issue) in that the tv doesn't change the audio option or is it a broadcaster issue.
    Could anyone explain why this is the case with UK spec combo Panasonics, taking into account what I stated above. Why have the other channels not defaulted or changed to a "no sound" setting.
    Finally what is the TG4/TV3 situation with other makes that are actually Saorview compatable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

tvman2 wrote: »
    Yes I've the same, the tv manual says that the default sound is set by the broadcaster which in the case of TG4 and now TV3 the default is set to nar (currently no sound) while the other channels are set to eng which gives sound.
    Therefore is it another Panasonic tv (as STB stated "Fisher Price" software issue) in that the tv doesn't change the audio option or is it a broadcaster issue.
    Could anyone explain why this is the case with UK spec combo Panasonics, taking into account what I stated above. Why have the other channels not defaulted or changed to a "no sound" setting.
    Finally what is the TG4/TV3 situation with other makes that are actually Saorview compatable.

Panasonic have taken shortcuts in their coding and are not fully DVB compliant. They make great screens but there software is rubbish and think of a Panasonic as a screen only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭steveq

This is happening on my Panasonic Freesat TV for all the 'Saorview' channels except RTE News and the Test HD channels.

Does it only happen on TG4 and TV3 for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If the TV is less than two years old the shop may be obliged to replace or refund (choice their discretion) with a compatible model.
    Aldi has refunded on a set over a year old

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

I have 2 panasonic freesat TVs and I am having this annoying sound issue as well, but on different channels on both TVs ..

It used to be just on tg4, but now it appears to be on all channels ..

Has anyone tried re-scanning their panasonic recently to see if it changes anything ?

I am a bit worried about re-scanning in case rte have changed the older service type setting that caused the Panasonics not to pick up anything ..

Can anyone confirm that re-scanning is ok at the moment on Panasonics ?

Cheers,

Bob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 bigbob

Rescanned G10 last night.
    Pulled the channels ok but no (default) audio on TV3 or TG4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I just did a scan on the PC (DVBviewer). The default soundtrack on TV3 is set to (eng) and plays properly. There is also a narrative track (silent) and a remnant of the RTENL test setting which carries Raidio na Gaeltachtachta sound.:eek: But the default is eng and plays ok.
    On TG4 the default soundtrack is marked as (iri) and plays correctly (even though it's actually in english as they are showing a movie) and there is a (nar) soundtrack which is silent. I would imagine that the TV would need to accomodate (eng) and (iri) default soundtracks in the Ireland country setting. If you have the TV set to UK, then I presume it would not pick up (iri) as default.

But again - this could be down to flakey software in the Panasonics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

fat-tony wrote: »
    I just did a scan on the PC (DVBviewer). The default soundtrack on TV3 is set to (eng) and plays properly. There is also a narrative track (silent) and a remnant of the RTENL test setting which carries Raidio na Gaeltachtachta sound.:eek: But the default is eng and plays ok.
    On TG4 the default soundtrack is marked as (iri) and plays correctly (even though it's actually in english as they are showing a movie) and there is a (nar) soundtrack which is silent. I would imagine that the TV would need to accomodate (eng) and (iri) default soundtracks in the Ireland country setting. If you have the TV set to UK, then I presume it would not pick up (iri) as default.

But again - this could be down to flakey software in the Panasonics

Its called the UK Dbook and it disregards ETSI standards in preference to just about fulfilling Uk requirements.

It's a pretty poor show if it won't accommodate the basic soundtracks, though! In most STB's when you set the default language to English, it just uses it as the "preferred" language when presented with a choice in the data stream. If it's just (iri) and (NAR) as in the TG4 stream, then it should pick up the iri stream as NAR is only for Audio Description which is usually a button on the remote.

For the OP I would suggest deleting the channels from the set, saving the selection and then re-scanning. The default soundtracks on the stream are now set the (eng) in the case of TV3. I got rid of the RnG artefact on my DVBviewer setup by deleting the DTT tree altogether and doing a complete re-scan.

I rescanned both my Panasonics last night and it didn't make any difference ..

On all 4 TV channels, the Panasonic uses the nar soundtrack and has to be changed manually to eng to get audio .. Only channels that work without this workaround are the RTE news now and RTE -NL 2 test hd channel ..

How do other TVs select the correct audio channel here ?
    Do they automatically select the nar channel ?

I know that people have said that the Panasonics do not follow the standard, but I am just trying to understand how they should do this ?

Has anyone got any workarounds to this very annoying problem ?

Why would RTE be broadcasting a multi-channel audio, with nothing on the nar channel ? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me ..

• Advertisement

The NAR channel is used when there is an audio description for vision impaired viewers. The BBC broadcast a lot of their output with Audio Description on the NAR track.

As far as I can see, RTENL have now defaulted eng. They have also renamed a couple of the channels - RTE 1 is now RTE One, RTE 2 is now RTE Two.

I cannot fathom why your set won't pick up the default eng soundtrack on TV3, TG4. It's like it is "stuck" with a particular setting. Did you do a complete delete of the channels? Maybe a factory reset / re-install is needed? I have a Panasonic plasma (but not one with a digital tuner) so I can't be 100% on this, but it makes no sense to me that it won't pick up the default soundtrack.

You may have a bigger issue entirely if RTE revert to marking their video stream as Advanced codec, which caught out a number of Panasonic owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

My Panasonic G20 has no issues with default audio on TV3 or TG4. No rescan was necessary.

Interesting ..

Mine are both freesat models 37LZD81 and 50V10, both no sound on all 4 TV channels last night by default. I can get sound by pressing Option and selecting Eng audio track, but this has to be selected every time that the channel is changed ...

I presume you have installed them using UK as the country (in order to benefit from the Freesat EPG)?
    Have you tried using other country options (which have DTT - like France)? It may be if you do an install under another country option, then revert to the UK it might work, now that RTENL have sorted out their defaults.

fat-tony wrote: »
    I presume you have installed them using UK as the country (in order to benefit from the Freesat EPG)?
    Have you tried using other country options (which have DTT - like France)? It may be if you do an install under another country option, then revert to the UK it might work, now that RTENL have sorted out their defaults.

With the G10B models you can't select country they automatically default to UK.

bob11 has different models

stiniker has posted in another thread that his Panasonic is not picking up the RTE video channels.

I can confirm that the video stream identifier has been changed back to 0x1B, which has caused issues for Panasonic TVs in the past. Don't scan unless you have a copy of your current working setup.

You may not be able to avoid re-scanning in any case as it is automatic on some sets.

0x16 (0x1b is the Teletext afaik).

Do not rescan! Infact backup your channel list now. Turn off network serach. Add to favourites. Copy to SD card.

Re the audio issue I wonder can we manually alter the audio IDs ?

STB wrote: »
    0x16.

Do not rescan! Infact backup your channel list now. Turn off network serach. Add to favourites. Copy to SD card.

Agreed 100% I backed up yesterday and it saved my bacon today!

Instructions below as I posted here earlier.

1. Format an SD card on a PC.

Insert SD card into PC. Right-click on SD card in MyComputer, then select FORMAT and press OK.

2. Set up hotel.pwd file on SD card.

Open My Computer and double click on SD card (Removable Disk). Go to Tools, Folder Options and select the VIEW tab. Then unclick the "Hide extensions for known file types" option and apply the change. Right click and select New and Text Document to create an empty text file. Name it "hotel.pwd" ( Note that there is no .txt file extension added because of option selected above). Remove SD card.

3. Copy all channels from TV1 to SD card.

Turn on TV. Insert SD card. The process starts automatically. Enter the code 4850 when requested. The copy is made to the SD card. Remove the SD card.

4. Copy channels from SD card to TV2.

Turn on TV. Insert SD card. The process starts automatically. Enter the code 4851 when requested. The copy is made to the TV.
    Turn off the TV and then turn it on again. The channels are copied! There's no EPG info for the TV channels.

Service type is 0x01 (Digital Television) at the moment (18:15) for all 6 tv channels.
    Stream type is 0X1B (H.264 Video)

Profile level is 3.0 for SD and 4.0 for HD channel

Maybe there is some other issue with the Panasonics?

Sorry - scratch that. The NIT says 0x01, the SDT says decimal 22 (which is 0x16) for SD and 25 (0x19) for the HD channel

• Advertisement

Just an update from me ..

I can't find any country settings, maybe cause its a freesat model there are no country setting , it might just assume that it's in the uk ..

On the sound issue,

There is a menu under the option function called "Audio Description" ..
    When I turned it to OFF, the sound is now working on "eng" channel automatically on RTE 1 AND RTE 2 , but not on TV3 and TG4 ... I can kindof see why TG4 might not work because of the "iri" sound stream, but why TV3 does not work is now strange ..
    It has the exact same streams as RTE1 and RTE2 "nar" and "eng" but still does not work automatically . It must be something to do with the way RTE NL has set it up ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭championc

My Panasonic G20 has no issues with default audio on TV3 or TG4. No rescan was necessary.

Obviously you have a UK model since there's no Irish version of the G20. So I assume this sound problem relates to Irish TV models only - yes ?

Panasonic will do absolutely nothing to help since they'll just claim that it's all still only a "Trial" and is test phase (as seen in the Dealer Support reply in the Panny thread tonight).

BTW Mountjoy or any other G20 owners out there, does the G20 rescan OK and recognise the changed channels after the System_Type codec was changed over this afternoon ?

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

championc wrote: »
    Obviously you have a UK model since there's no Irish version of the G20. So I assume this sound problem relates to Irish TV models only - yes ?

Panasonic will do absolutely nothing to help since they'll just claim that it's all still only a "Trial" and is test phase (as seen in the Dealer Support reply in the Panny thread tonight).

BTW Mountjoy or any other G20 owners out there, does the G20 rescan OK and recognise the changed channels after the System_Type codec was changed over this afternoon ?

I think with the G20 model they are selling now is the same TVs in Ireland as in the United Kingdom, I have seen G20 tvs in stores here and they have the satellite receiver for freesat built in.

With the G10 series there was the G10B models which were UK freesat models aimed at the UK market and there was the G10L models which were Irish versions with the Freesat and few more functionalities stripped out and about €300 more expensive than the similar UK model. The G10L is compatible with Saorview and the G10B will receive the existing channels also so long as you do not rescan, however future support with the G10B is unlikely unless Panasonic release a path to fix it for those using the UK Model in the ROI.

Stinicker wrote: »
    .............and there was the G10L models which were Irish versions with the Freesat and few more functionalities stripped out and about €300 more expensive than the similar UK model. The G10L is compatible with Saorview

Well if it is an Irish model can we have the mandatory MHEG5 please. The cost of MHEG5 is €4 per TV probably. They can easily take that out of the extra €300.

What makes it an Irish model ? Ask Panasonic that !

Infact I will do a letter up for you, because I am a little more than cheesed off with what people are putting up with, especially with the D25s which are in the same boat. MPEg4 yes MHEg5 no, MHP is free with it though even though its an Irish model in 2010.

And I dont have a Panasonic!

Well if it is an Irish model can we have the mandatory MHEG5 please. The cost of MHEG5 is €4 per TV probably. They can easily take that out of the extra €300.

Infact I will do a letter up for you, because I am a little more than cheesed off with what people are putting up with, especially with the D25s which are in the same boat. MPEg4 yes MHEg5 no, MHP is free with it though even though its an Irish model in 2010.

My Panasonic TX-L32G10L dosen't have MHEG5 (something the G10B does have because of Freesat). The G10L also lacks a feature called "Power of Preference" which automatically switches over to the first HDMI port when it detects traffic on it. This is a very handy useful feature for those with Sky+ HD as it means not having to select HDMI 1 etc. every-time. Under specced and over priced are the Irish Panasonic models compared to their UK Counterparts, although the UK ones now don't work in Ireland with Saorview anymore as they can't see the channels to tune them in.

I have lost sound on RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4 now and am only receiving sound on RTE News Now and RTENL High Def.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

For Set maker or Broadcaster
    MHEG5 cost = Free
    MHP cost = lots

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭championc

I have lost sound on RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4 now and am only receiving sound on RTE News Now and RTENL High Def.

So much for specific Irish versions. However, Panasonic will refuse the assist and just say that the system is in trial phase and that they can't be sure as to what will be what or what exactly the broadcaster is doing.

C

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

championc wrote: »
    So much for specific Irish versions. However, Panasonic will refuse the assist and just say that the system is in trial phase and that they can't be sure as to what will be what or what exactly the broadcaster is doing.

C

I have two Panasonic TVs

A TX-L32G10L 32" Irish LCD Model &
    A TX-P50G10B 50" UK Freesat Plasma model

on the Irish TX-L32G10L I have no sounds issues or any problems with tuning the channels as so far it is working fine with Saorview.

on the TX-P50G10B 50" UK Freesat model, it fails to see the Irish channels now and also is having sound issues in that the sound does not Automatically come on TV3 & TG4, for some bizarre reason all 4 terrestrial channels lost sound today but RTÉ1 & RTE2's sound came back this evening but I was messing around at settings for ages to see if I could get the sound to come on default as it should so I think I inadvertently muted RTE1 & RTE2 myself for a while.

• Advertisement

A TX-L32G10L 32" Irish LCD Model
    on the Irish TX-L32G10L I have no sounds issues or any problems with tuning the channels as so far it is working fine with Saorview.
    This is an "Irish model". It should work because it is based on ETSI standards for the service types. This is one little line of code that says yes I have an mpeg4 processor and am capable of picking up these broadcasts.

This is a 2010 model and does not have MHEG5 turned on by default in the firmware for Ireland. It may or not have this on board. If it does then it can be easily adjusted in the firmware settings by a firmware upgrade.

Will Panasonic be bothered to do this. Probably not as not enough people will get in touch with them to make an issue out of it. The question for Panasonic is when will their products fully support Irish standard ? Will it be their 2011 range ? Or will they actually give support on models sold recently like any other manufacturer ? The spec was published in 2008. They are a CEDA member. How come Samsung (not a CEDA member) could get the spec right ?? How come Sony can get it right ? Is their brand name not important in Ireland ?
    A TX-P50G10B 50" UK Freesat Plasma model

on the TX-P50G10B 50" UK Freesat model, it fails to see the Irish channels now and also is having sound issues in that the sound does not Automatically come on TV3 & TG4, for some bizarre reason all 4 terrestrial channels lost sound today but RTÉ1 & RTE2's sound came back this evening but I was messing around at settings for ages to see if I could get the sound to come on default as it should so I think I inadvertently muted RTE1 & RTE2 myself for a while.

This model was built to the UK DBook which specifies that the full service type list defined by ETSI does not have to be defined for dvb-t because they were using MPEG2 and only depended on seeing service type 0x01 which is "digital television service" and is reserved for MPEG2 flagged broadcasts. This is despite the fact that the TV has an MPEG4 chip in order to process the MPEG4 H264 broadcasts on the DVB-S2 tuner for Freesat HD channels such as BBCHD and ITVHD.

Again it would be a simple firmware fix to define the full service type descriptors. But it hasnt been offered.

Audio: This is another shortcut in dvb standards. Whatever way the UK Dbook spec has been implemented it expects to see english in the broadcasts as default and blanks the audio should it see anything else. In this case on TG4 it sees IRE and displays a narrative or blank sound. Other stations in the mux behave erratically as a knock on.

This issue actually caused problems in the UK with the Welsh language whereby the same problem arose on S4C.

I presume you have the old backup off an SD card that is allowing you view these stations albeit with the narrative default problem. So what you would need to do is edit the audio pid's to allow the default take place.

Can you post the Audio PIDs numbers that you are seeing for all stations.

Advertisement