Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Saorview in Northern Ireland

• 14-10-2011 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭

I'm up home in the north at the moment and my parents were asking me about getting Saorview. We live less than 5 miles from the border and have no problem picking up RTE TV channels.

I tried re-scanning their digital set top box and it picked up RTE One and RTE Two and RTE +1 and a few other channels but there was just audio coming through, no picture.

I've been doing some searching and it seems like this is related to the MPEG encoder in the set top box? The STB was bought in the north and as far as I know, UK/NI set top boxes use MPEG-2 while Saorview uses MPEG 4?

They have a HD LCD TV also but I just checked the manual and it has a MPEG-2 decoder. Although that doesn't matter so much as they'd need the channels to come through the set top box so they can record programmes.

Is it possible to get one Set top box that will let you view UK Freeview as well as Saorview? If I buy a set top box in Dublin that is MPEG4 in Dublin and bring it home some weekend, will it pickup MPEG2/UK Freeview channels also?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

If you are in the North at the moment then you will pick up this one is in Argos for £40. This is just a receiver - no recording....

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5322185/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/2|14419512|Digital+boxes+and+services|14419633/c_3/3|cat_14419633|Basic+set+top+boxes|28608375.htm

It does both Saorview and Freeview HD (the HD part wont be on in NI until late next year).

Also the likes of the Metronic Zapbox T2 HD Freeview HD Digital Box is about £25 on ebay.

Dont but a box in Dublin as it wont be suitable for NI reception next year. You are looking for a "Freeview HD" box for just viewing or a "Freeview +HD" box for recording.

The logos look like this.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR17er8Gh_i404AIYvqdoN7jUH27b__wCVJGOY-lFLIVZOwEPXN
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReiMlzH886hSHrbcKkCP5jbB5QE-v_bbjchLs8B9tl4ACb-kgA

HD part is important.

So basic reception box is about £40STG.

A box that can record like the HUMAX HDR-FOXT2 you should shop around for (about £250).
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/freeview-freesat-pvr/humax/hdr-foxt2/huma-fox-t2-hdr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Or a Technika Freeview HD for £30 from Tesco, does the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Stupid question, but how can I tell what type of decoder is in it? I had a look at the Argos one and there's no mention of what type of decoder it has.

Also my folks just have normal TV in through an aerial. They don't have any sort of cable or satellite and don't have a dish or anything. Would a HD box be any use if they're just able to pick up regular analog and digital signals through the roof aerial?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

G-Money wrote: »
    Stupid question, but how can I tell what type of decoder is in it? I had a look at the Argos one and there's no mention of what type of decoder it has.

As STB said above look for FreeviewHD or FreeviewHD+. This spec has an MPEG-4 video decoder by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

You dont have to worry about the decoder.

Its all done for you once it has the "Freeview HD" logo. Its how they certify the box. The Freeview logo without HD on the logo is no good.

So the "Freeview HD" boxes do both SD Freeview, Saorview HD and Freeview HD(when it comes on next year).

Your only decision is whether to get a box that can just show the stations or one that can also record.

As they have an LCD, you just connect the box with HDMI lead to the back of the LCD and plug in the aerial to the box (there is normally one included) with the box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Ok, cheers, thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BonyMartian

Apologies if this post is in the wrong place - I'm a boards.ie virgin and this is my first post.

I'm located on the east coast, between Dundalk and Newry and I've been using a Sony VTX-D800U box to pick up a digital signal for British TV stations for over five years now.
    I'm assuming that my signal is some sort of residual blast from the north of England because NI is not planned to go fully digital until 24 October this year. In fine weather, the signal is near-perfect but in wet conditions, I lose all but the BBC and shopping channels (funny enough).

Until now, I've been happy to live with that arrangement and revert to analogue during times when the digital signal is down.

However, given that the NI analogue switchoff date is imminent, I feel I need to make some sort of permanent arrangement to ensure that I get not only the British signal but also the Southern channels. I've never been able to pick up RTE on the Sony box except when they ran a test signal up for a period up until July 2008. Understand now from this forum that RTE subsequently moved away from the technology being utilised by the British so I'm assuming the Sony box will have to be decommissioned come October.

My parents, who live nearby (i.e. within a mile), availed of the British govt's generous scheme to have one of their TVs converted in advance of the switchover. They can now pick up all the British stations I have plus RTE1, RTE2HD, TV3, TG4, RTE1+1, and all the southern radio channels by way of a HUMAX HD Fox T2 box.

Simple question: considering the differing technologies at play here and where I am etc, would the HUMAX box work for me?

I'm sure it's relevant to say that I get my BBC signal from Cam Loch transmiter (part of the Divis group) and the RTE one probably comes from Clermont Cairn, which is about three miles away as the crow flies. I say probably because there's a large hill between me and Clermont Cairn and one TV repair man suggested my southern signal was actually coming from Longford (hmmm).

All answers greatly appreciated but keep it simple (don't be talking about muxes and stuff like that...unless it's unavoidable).

Thanks in advance

Bony

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Yes, the Humax box is as good a compromise as you will get wrt receiving all available services, including Freeview HD.

Might be a bit wasted on an old tv though & some of the Saorview approved tvs will also work with Freeview HD (or the other way round).

Thanks for the advice, Peter.

Here's another one for you: I bought a Grundig HD box cheaply a couple of months ago for our second TV, hoping to pick up both British and southern channels.

It does, but but forces you to decide which to watch: you have a choice of 18 southern channels or 61 British channels and can only watch one lot or the other, not both at the same time.

So now I have British channels in one room and Irish channels (RTE NL1) in the other!!!

What's going on there? :confused: Is there something I'm not doing? And would the HUMAX box react the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Apologies if this post is in the wrong place - I'm a boards.ie virgin and this is my first post.

I'm located on the east coast, between Dundalk and Newry and I've been using a Sony VTX-D800U box to pick up a digital signal for British TV stations for over five years now.
    I'm assuming that my signal is some sort of residual blast from the north of England because NI is not planned to go fully digital until 24 October this year. In fine weather, the signal is near-perfect but in wet conditions, I lose all but the BBC and shopping channels (funny enough).

Until now, I've been happy to live with that arrangement and revert to analogue during times when the digital signal is down.

However, given that the NI analogue switchoff date is imminent, I feel I need to make some sort of permanent arrangement to ensure that I get not only the British signal but also the Southern channels. I've never been able to pick up RTE on the Sony box except when they ran a test signal up for a period up until July 2008. Understand now from this forum that RTE subsequently moved away from the technology being utilised by the British so I'm assuming the Sony box will have to be decommissioned come October.

My parents, who live nearby (i.e. within a mile), availed of the British govt's generous scheme to have one of their TVs converted in advance of the switchover. They can now pick up all the British stations I have plus RTE1, RTE2HD, TV3, TG4, RTE1+1, and all the southern radio channels by way of a HUMAX HD Fox T2 box.

Simple question: considering the differing technologies at play here and where I am etc, would the HUMAX box work for me?

I'm sure it's relevant to say that I get my BBC signal from Cam Loch transmiter (part of the Divis group) and the RTE one probably comes from Clermont Cairn, which is about three miles away as the crow flies. I say probably because there's a large hill between me and Clermont Cairn and one TV repair man suggested my southern signal was actually coming from Longford (hmmm).

All answers greatly appreciated but keep it simple (don't be talking about muxes and stuff like that...unless it's unavoidable).

Thanks in advance

Bony

Camlough being a relay will be 'Freeview Lite' i.e. limited no. of channels after DSO in October. Might you be better to try Divis to get full UK freeview service as power after DSO will be much increased from this transmitter?

• Advertisement

Thanks Digifriendly, I didn't know that about our local transmitter. Also didn't know you could choose which transmitter to take your signal from. How do you do that?

Also, when you say 'Freeview-lite' I assume you mean Cam Loch's not supporting the full range of digital channels? At the minute (in fair weather conditions, obviously!) I'm getting 100+ UK TV and radio channels. What does that tell you?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

I'm assuming that my signal is some sort of residual blast from the north of England because NI is not planned to go fully digital until 24 October this year.
    Which Region ITV1 and BBC1 are you getting on Freeview?

MarkK,

I'm getting UTV and BBCNI.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

You must be getting Freeview from the Divis transmitter then.

If it was from the North of England you'd have the English regional versions.

In October the signal power from Divis will be greatly increased and you should get a much more reliable signal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

I bought a Grundig HD box cheaply a couple of months ago for our second TV, hoping to pick up both British and southern channels.

It does, but but forces you to decide which to watch: you have a choice of 18 southern channels or 61 British channels and can only watch one lot or the other, not both at the same time.

Did you check the bottom of the channel list (the 800 nos.) for the missing set of channels?

When you run the set-up, the outcome reads "there are different regions available: select your preferred region from the list below"(Northern Ireland and RTE NL1) and you must pick one before it'll allow you to continue.

I can't see any way of getting round this. (As well as the stations I mentioned earlier, I also get RTEjr, 3e, and RTE News Now. All perfect pictures but...you see my dilemma?

Just checked there - the southern stations don't appear at the bottom of the British ones as 800 numbers.

Advertisement