Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I said when it was built that it was a stupid layout. Obviously if people drove properly it would be fine but it was obvious how things would pan out. Last night was the 3rd time I've seen an accident southbound between the Airport and M50 junction which looks a simple enough bit of road to negotiate, hardly surprising northbound is gonna have plenty of accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's trailer signs now and cones at the end of the third lane and the third lane on the overhead gantry at Holywell is X'ed off with a red X like it should have been from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Scipio76

There should be a tender announcement soon - the intention was for construction to start this month. However if I remember correctly, work on the previous section of M1 was due to commence at the end of 2010 - however, it started early 2011 - with this in mind, the section across the Broadmeadow may start early in the new year (again, a short delay of a couple of months).

I can't offer anything more concrete than that.

SIAC Construction will be starting work on an extension of the D3 as far as J4 in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

Scipio76 wrote: »
    SIAC Construction will be starting work on an extension of the D3 as far as J4 in the new year.

Anyone have an idea of date yet? The email on the previous page here said the job was expected to be done within a year. I wonder how long the online bit will take seeing as the upgrade also includes work up on the J4 overbridge lanes etc.?

Suppose this will impact down to the mainline anyway as there'll probably be queues caused by the construction work up there.

Bit of pain for a few months but will be worth it in the end. Then we'll just start complaining that it should be done out to Jullianstown etc.. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Latest : Contract was awared on 06.12.2011 to SIAC,

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JAN300035

Thanks to Irish and Proud for the info in the 'Tender Watch for Roads!' thread,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Yesterday's notice on etenders would seem to confirm the above! The contract was awarded on 6th December 2011 - would expect to see activity on the M1 very soon. I wonder if the R132 bus corridor (along the Lissenhall DC) is to be included in the works - I initially thought that it would, but neither the contract notice nor the award notice makes any reference to the bus corridor.

Roll on the M1 works though! :)

celticbest wrote: »
    Latest : Contract was awared on 06.12.2011 to SIAC,

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JAN300035

Thanks to Irish and Proud for the info in the 'Tender Watch for Roads!' thread,

Many thanks for posting the link Celticbest - I had intended to do so myself but ran out of time. I don't think it'll be long before we see the works commencing. Bearing in mind that it wasn't long since the official line was 'there's no funding available to widen the M1 to J4 Lissenhall', one would wonder does this now bode well for widening projects like the M4 to J7 (Maynooth) and M7 to J11 (M9 Junction) - would probably be done in sections though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

bode well for widening projects like the M4 to J7 (Maynooth)
    Are they planning on doing this? First I heard of it, though it would be great of course!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

M7 a lot worse than M4 though. The bottom of the M50/Top of M11 is also under consideration from c.Sandyford to c.Shankill AFAIK.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    M7 a lot worse than M4 though. The bottom of the M50/Top of M11 is also under consideration from c.Sandyford to c.Shankill AFAIK.

Wicklow CC are also considering Kilmac to Bray North.

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    Are they planning on doing this? First I heard of it, though it would be great of course!

I don't think there was anything concrete, but there was talk (on this forum) of the M4 being widened to perhaps Maynooth - this idea may have been bandied around in political circles too. AFAIK, the M7 widening to J11 was official. However, I shouldn't have used the word 'projects' to describe the schemes in question, so apologies if I falsely got anyone's hopes up. :o

Yesterday's notice on etenders would seem to confirm the above! The contract was awarded on 6th December 2011 - would expect to see activity on the M1 very soon. I wonder if the R132 bus corridor (along the Lissenhall DC) is to be included in the works - I initially thought that it would, but neither the contract notice nor the award notice makes any reference to the bus corridor.

Roll on the M1 works though! :)

From what I hear SIAC will be on the ground very shortly. In the process of mobilising to site at present.

From what I hear SIAC will be on the ground very shortly. In the process of mobilising to site at present.

Some more details here! (2nd item on list) :)

Article Dated: 20th December 2011

Start Date: 4th January 2012

Completion: December 2012

Regards!

Can anyone confirm if this is going to be the new layout for Junction 4 once the upgrade is completed?

M1Junction4Lissenhallupgrade.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Is the movement for R132 southbound/Donabate towards the M1 north ramp a bit strange there?

ardmacha wrote: »
    Is the movement for R132 southbound/Donabate towards the M1 north ramp a bit strange there?

It's not dissimilar to the Naas Road to Longmile road junction which works well.

NaastoLongmile.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Start Date: 4th January 2012
    Completion: December 2012
    Can anyone who uses this road confirm that work has started on the ground?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Can anyone who uses this road confirm that work has started on the ground?

The contract has started but actual construction works haven't started quite yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I doubt they'll actually do anything to Junction 4 itself.

Most likely they will build the third lane as far as the junction and then have a left lane drop on the outbound section and a left lane add on the inbound section. At the very least it will remove the dangerous right lane merge on the outbound section at Junction 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Jayuu wrote: »
    I doubt they'll actually do anything to Junction 4 itself.

Most likely they will build the third lane as far as the junction and then have a left lane drop on the outbound section and a left lane add on the inbound section. At the very least it will remove the dangerous right lane merge on the outbound section at Junction 3

Out of interest, has this existing dangerous right lane merge proven to be dangerous in practice now that it has been there a few months? (when I initially saw it, I did think it was a recipe for accidents but now that I've driven it frequently, there is a long lead time for merging and with plenty of advance signage combined with regular driver familiarity, are such concerns still warranted? Has there been reports of collisions/near misses etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Also, does this new 3rd lane extension from J3 to J4 include the bridge over the Estuary (ie is J4 the turn off for Skerries/Donabate?)

ongarboy wrote: »
    Out of interest, has this existing dangerous right lane merge proven to be dangerous in practice now that it has been there a few months? (when I initially saw it, I did think it was a recipe for accidents but now that I've driven it frequently, there is a long lead time for merging and with plenty of advance signage combined with regular driver familiarity, are such concerns still warranted? Has there been reports of collisions/near misses etc?
    ongarboy wrote: »
    Also, does this new 3rd lane extension from J3 to J4 include the bridge over the Estuary (ie is J4 the turn off for Skerries/Donabate?)

Yes & Yes.

Can anyone confirm if this is going to be the new layout for Junction 4 once the upgrade is completed?

M1Junction4Lissenhallupgrade.jpg

The above diagram broadly represents the current proposal. The link below will take you to a refined version of the above...

M1 Swords Improvement Scheme and Lissenhall Junction Upgrade (PDF - Unknown Size)

The proposed layout for the Lissenhall Interchange can be seen on page 3.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Another 3 cars on the central reservation northbound tonight at 1715. Seen plenty of races to the end of third lane so no surprises with the driving behaviour of some.

Looks to be some work about to take place from the airport to M1 junction 2 there were traffic cones the whole way along to the north exit. Maybe just standard maintenance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

The above diagram broadly represents the current proposal. The link below will take you to a refined version of the above...

M1 Swords Improvement Scheme and Lissenhall Junction Upgrade (PDF - Unknown Size)

The proposed layout for the Lissenhall Interchange can be seen on page 3.

Regards!

Looks like the new design will revert to the more logical inside lane dropping off rather than the current set up.

The Lissenhall interchange looks a bit confusing though.
    I can't make out how you come out from Donabate and want to then go Northbound on the R132.

I see a QBC refered to as well on the R132 so i assume they will do that job at the same time.

Kumsheen wrote: »
    Looks like the new design will revert to the more logical inside lane dropping off rather than the current set up.

The Lissenhall interchange looks a bit confusing though.
    I can't make out how you come out from Donabate and want to then go Northbound on the R108.

I see a QBC refered to as well on the R108 so i assume they will do that job at the same time.

Do you mean from the Hearse Road onto the R132 NB ?

Is the R108 not the Ballymun road to the Naul?

If it's the Hearse Road to R132 NB you would follow the blue line on below picture.

HearseRoadtoR132NB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Do you mean from the Hearse Road onto the R132 NB ?

Is the R108 not the Ballymun road to the Naul?

If it's the Hearse Road to R132 NB you would follow the blue line on below picture.

HearseRoadtoR132NB.jpg

Doh!... I had 108 on the brain even though i was looking at the map. I'll correct the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Almost. You would have to bear left at the left hand junction and then cross, as there is no direct right turn here.
    I imagine local traffic would use Turvey Ave instead, but this is rther hard to signpost for those not in the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

ardmacha wrote: »
    Almost. You would have to bear left at the left hand junction and then cross, as there is no direct right turn here.
    I imagine local traffic would use Turvey Ave instead, but this is rther hard to signpost for those not in the know.

Considering there's a sign up in Donabate now stating there's no access north from Turvey ave( when there is) maybe thisll be changed too. The lack of a free flow from Swords to the M1N is strange

There's earth moving work going on outside the fence as you exit the M1N

• Advertisement

<snip>
    There's earth moving work going on outside the fence as you exit the M1N

Might be for the site offices - great to see this work underway. Hopefully, the D3 will extend to J7 (Gormanston) by 2020 - a time by which the Balbriggan Bypass section (J5 to J7) will be well overdue resurfacing work.

Regards!

Advertisement