Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ipv4 loopback -what the hell is that?

• 09-08-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

anyone know what an iploopback is? isn't it soemthing you'd do to test a connection - put a loop on it?

anway I'm not even sure what an ipv4loopback is but when I look at TCP connections in resource manager I can see a lot more than I'd expect and a lot of them seem to have this ipv4 loopback both local and remote. The images are for itunes and firefox and some where the image is blank?

I'm running windows7.

should I be worried? any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loopback especially the virtual interface bit.

I wouldn't be worried about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eske

thanks @jpl888

i had seen the article on wikipedia but I wasn't sure -

I only recently noticed this behaviour - it certainly hasn't been happening in the past

think it might be tied into an android emulator I attempted to setup as a lot of the loopbacks are to port 5037 (used by adb - android debug bridge)

just unsure how to stop it

Are you not able to uninstall the stuff you tried to setup?

nope ( I know what a muppet)

there doesn't appear to be anything to uninstall in windows - remove programs

here's what I was attempting to do

http://www.lorinbute.com/posts/how-to-force-apps-to-move-to-the-sd-card-on-froyo.html

- but I couldn't get to step 5 as the drivers wouldn't install - I'mn not even sure the phone i have the Desire is compatible with the nexus 1 setup ... anyway

since then I've noticed this ipv4loopback business and a lot of images reference port 5037 - used by android debug bridge

but there is noting in the recently installed list for me to remove

there's nothing i see unusual in the startup list in msconfig ? so I'm not sure where to go from here

According to the link it installs 3 drivers maybe the loopbacks are to do with them.

If you can identify which they are remove them. If not it may be a good idea to remove any Android related software that you can and then see what drivers are left in device manager, removing them, and putting your other software back on then.

To be fair to you it isn't clear how to remove any of that stuff so your muppetism is in doubt.

• Advertisement

Sorry ignore my last post I saw you didn't get as far as step 5.

I'm just reading up now and it appears those loopbacks are definitely to do with the emulator. Give me a few minutes.

This is from the android developers website
    If you are working in Eclipse, the ADT plugin for Eclipse installs your application and starts the emulator automatically, when you run or debug the application.

Check for "emulator" processes in task manager.

thanks dude - I found a legit htc process that adb was using - killed it and the tcp connectons dropped right down on post 5037 to zero

annoyingly there are still legit processes itunes, firefox, dropbox, logmein
    which still have the local and remote ipv4 loopback

will have to dig a little deeper here

It could be installed as part of eclipse so you could remove eclipse to get rid of it.

• Advertisement

don't think i have eclipse installed but I'll keep plugging away - many...many thanks for the assistance

Advertisement