Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Rawhead wrote: »
    If Carlsberg did championship build ups. People talking about Galway being the dark horses this year and the Rossies already talking about finding ways to deal with the Dubs in the semi final. Looks like John Evans is happy to draw all the attention and pressure onto himself and his players for the next few weeks.
    A nice low key build up to Salthill, no real pressure this year and then we'll see who's who in Connacht.

Pressure? It ain't us going for five in a row and who would have a home Conancht final if we got there.

For H&C it's AI or bust, everyone in Ireland knew it when they were appointed. So no pressure or anything, Rawhead. And low-key.. haha. Good luck on that one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Syferus wrote: »
    Pressure? It ain't us going for five in a row and who would have a home Conancht final if we got there.

For H&C it's AI or bust, everyone in Ireland knew it when they were appointed. So no pressure or anything, Rawhead. And low-key.. haha. Good luck on that one.

I don't think the majority of people in Mayo expect to win the AI this year, nor do the majority of people outside it. The only county in Connacht talking about All Ireland's this year is Roscommon. It seems that in John Evans you have finally found someone as delusional as yourselves with regards notions of grandeur.
    I just hope Sligo don't derail your plans to give the Dubs a lesson in football, be a shame to see all those straw hats having to be put away before August as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I don't think the majority of people in Mayo expect to win the AI this year, nor do the majority of people outside it. The only county in Connacht talking about All Ireland's this year is Roscommon. It seems that in John Evans you have finally found someone as delusional as yourselves with regards notions of grandeur.
    I just hope Sligo don't derail your plans to give the Dubs a lesson in football, be a shame to see all those straw hats having to be put away before August as usual.

You'd be more at home at Hogan Stand.

Most Mayo lads are totally sound, but there's always a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DragonBourne

Mayo for SAM!!!

Mayo for SAM!!!
    You forgot the 2015 part, it's starting to get confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Kalyke wrote: »
    Well done to the Rossies yesterday. It can only be good for Connacht Football!
    Whatever you think yourself!!

If there was a Division 5, I'd be praying themselves and Galway would get relegated to it!:cool:

Poor Galway and Roscommon sides have done no harm whatsoever to Mayo football over the past decade or so in the context of the national stage, which is what most of us around here really care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭boosabum

If Carlsberg did championship build ups. People talking about Galway being the dark horses this year and the Rossies already talking about finding ways to deal with the Dubs in the semi final. Looks like John Evans is happy to draw all the attention and pressure onto himself and his players for the next few weeks.
    A nice low key build up to Salthill, no real pressure this year and then we'll see who's who in Connacht.

In all fairness to Evans, he spoke about being in a position to challenge for an AI in 2-3 years times. Any team that remains and plays division 1 football for a 2 to 3 year period would feel the same.

boosabum wrote: »
    In all fairness to Evans, he spoke about being in a position to challenge for an AI in 2-3 years times. Any team that remains and plays division 1 football for a 2 to 3 year period would feel the same.

He also said that he had looked at every other team and that they'll all have key players finishing up while they continued to get better. For his logic to work then

1. No other team in Ireland will have any new players over the next few years, are all going to stagnate and will roll over for the Rossies.
    2. He's predicting that they'll still be playing Div 1 football in 2/3 years. Getting to Div 1 is the easy part, staying there is much harder.
    3. All this underage promise has resulted in zero silverware.

Our 2013 AI winning minor panel are just now starting to enter the fray. A shocking 14 of the panel have had operations or were out for over a year with injuries due to dubious training methods that year. I expect a few of these lads might object to Johns views. Conor Loftus in particular is being talked about as the true heir to his Crossmolina club mates number 11 jersey and he has been out for 2 years. That's just our progression, never mind the rest of Div 1's teams.
    I respect Roscommon's winning Div 2&3, if you win Connacht this year and are still in Div 1 this time next year, then I think people might take ye serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

He also said that he had looked at every other team and that they'll all have key players finishing up while they continued to get better. For his logic to work then

1. No other team in Ireland will have any new players over the next few years, are all going to stagnate and will roll over for the Rossies.
    2. He's predicting that they'll still be playing Div 1 football in 2/3 years. Getting to Div 1 is the easy part, staying there is much harder.
    3. All this underage promise has resulted in zero silverware.

Our 2013 AI winning minor panel are just now starting to enter the fray. A shocking 14 of the panel have had operations or were out for over a year with injuries due to dubious training methods that year. I expect a few of these lads might object to Johns views. Conor Loftus in particular is being talked about as the true heir to his Crossmolina club mates number 11 jersey and he has been out for 2 years. That's just our progression, never mind the rest of Div 1's teams.
    I respect Roscommon's winning Div 2&3, if you win Connacht this year and are still in Div 1 this time next year, then I think people might take ye serious.

In fairness having read that article I don't think Evans was predicting more using the if word which for the outsiders looking in is a big if. Though is it any harm to aim high when the talent is there? If they stay in div one for a few years it can only improve them Monaghan have rose from div 3 in 2013 and now regarded as top 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No it's not.
    They have a lot of work to do to refresh this team, if All Ireland success come in 0215 good and well, we'll take it :), but I'd be giving them until this time next year to seriously make any call on them.

As for Roscommon, as I said in another thread I think if they have Galway in a Connacht Final then they may win it, but it will be in Galway I assume so that will not help.

I don't think they will be good enough for Mayo in Castlebar though if that is the final match-up.
    At that stage Mayo will have the real banana skin out of the way and will be looking to a QF and beyond.

Ros will have it tough after that, a B side 4thd round qualifier, possibly v Ulster team and then a possible QF v Ulster champs.
    Ros have had their fair share of qualifiers against nordies this last few years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

The amount of press Roscommon get on this Mayo thread makes me smile. I was at Hyde Park to watch the Meath game and Roscommon were distinctly average. We should have beaten them quite easily. Yes, they can hurt you on the break but only if you're poorly organised. Down are a better team and I would give them a much stronger chance of staying up next year.

I wouldn't disrespect Johny Evans. His positivity is a major factor behind the success that tends to follow him. We had the opportunity to appoint Graham Geraghty and Evans as a management team in 2013 and we turned them down. Chances are we would be playing Division 1 football by this stage, hindsight being 20/20 etc. Dream big!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

HighKing33 wrote: »
    The amount of press Roscommon get on this Mayo thread makes me smile. I was at Hyde Park to watch the Meath game and Roscommon were distinctly average. We should have beaten them quite easily. Yes, they can hurt you on the break but only if you're poorly organised. Down are a better team and I would give them a much stronger chance of staying up next year.

I wouldn't disrespect Johny Evans. His positivity is a major factor behind the success that tends to follow him. We had the opportunity to appoint Graham Geraghty and Evans as a management team in 2013 and we turned them down. Chances are we would be playing Division 1 football by this stage, hindsight being 20/20 etc. Dream big!

Maybe Roscommon were distinctly average on the day yet still managed to beat Meath. Down on the other hand were well beaten at home by Meath and lost twice to Roscommon I'm not sure how you reckon they are a better team.

Division one has the top six sides Dublin Kerry Cork Donegal Mayo Monaghan the chances of Down or Roscommon staying up is slim but if one was I would fancy the rossies more than Down.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good to see Syferus back on the Mayo thread again ;) Must be Championship time and chance for the Rossies to derail Mayo.

No one expects Mayo to win an AI this year, so thats mad talk. And definitely not bust for the 2 lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 51longago

Vast majority of Mayo supporters think we will not be in an asses roar of all Ireland final day this year...so ai or bust for the two lads is just a nonsense.

Low key " haha" you say , sorry to disappoint but that's all it is this year , very low key, no expectations. For the first time in a while it's all about Roscommon and Galway to a lesser degree. It's so low key I think for the first time in my lifetime Galway will outnumber the Mayo support and boy god your lot will if we did pull off a win in salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

It might change in the years ahead but as of now Mayo are the only All Ireland contender in Connacht and are odds on to win another provincial title this July. When James Horan was appointed Mayo manager in Autumn 2010 expectations were low the county were at a crossroads and if London had held on to win in 2011 who knows where Mayo seniors would stand now?

Mayo went from strength after Horans first season he has raised the bar very high and expectations now is winning another Connacht title and reach All Ireland semi final at least. For new management that is pressure but its pressure that I expect an experienced and seasoned Mayo panel to handle this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 2 51longago

Just better off if we accepted its a practice year at this stage , blood as many of the inexperienced players as possible.Defeat in salt hill no biggy, a good game or two in the qualifiers and a good rest till training resumes for 2016 league campaign .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

km79 wrote: »
    51longago wrote: »
    Just better off if we accepted its a practice year at this stage , blood as many of the inexperienced players as possible.Defeat in salt hill no biggy, a good game or two in the qualifiers and a good rest till training resumes for 2016 league campaign .

While we aren't as hopeful coming into this campaign, as we have been in the last few, it's well worth noting that the squad is still intact. It was only last August that we could have and should have reached an All-Ireland final.

It is obvious that both Galway and Roscommon are improving, the fact is we are still favourites to win Connacht.

I think it's hard to predict where Mayo will end up this summer but I've seen enough over the last few years to believe we are capable of beating anyone on our day, and if Galway beat us June 14th they will have earned it, only five weeks away!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

There's an interview with Robbie Hennelly about failure in sport coming up sometime before 12 on RTE Radio 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

padd b1975 wrote: »
    There's an interview with Robbie Hennelly about failure in sport coming up sometime before 12 on RTE Radio 1.

The Mayo football team are RTE Sport's favourite whipping boys. If I was Connelly I'd be telling my players to stay the hell away from features, particularly ones of that nature! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anybody else getting that championship buzz now that we know that we have Galway waiting in the long grass as long anticipated and a trip to Salthill??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

seligehgit wrote: »
    Anybody else getting that championship buzz now that we know that we have Galway waiting in the long grass as long anticipated and a trip to Salthill??:)

Yes can't wait but is c o Connor likely to miss the game In salthill,hearing different reports

eastmayo wrote: »
    Yes can't wait but is c o Connor likely to miss the game In salthill,hearing different reports

Checked with my source who had previously advised me he'd be back in 3 weeks at the time of talking.I had to call same individual on it!:pac:

Stated it is now very unlikely he'll be back for it,gone very quiet/hush hush.Injury appears to be quite bad,sounding ominous.:(

Cillian has had two shoulder injuries and a bad knee injury. He's still a pretty young guy so should have good healing power. Unfortuantely, rumours abound that these injuries have affected him in the sense that he is now fearful of getting injuried again and is playing within himself, unable to go 100%. It may come to pass but the mental side may be an issue considering this is an articulate smart young man who definitely sees beyond the 4 lines of a playing field

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

The mood music is not good at the minute for whatever reason. Rumours seem to be persistent and negative and the injury news does not seem to be improving. I'd be worried that the changes in the backroom teams like medical etc. have not been for the better.

And Moffat as physico ?

I believe Cillian lined out for Ballintubber today against Ballinrobe and even got a black card for his troubles! Good news obviously, anybody at the the game?

He came on as a sub in that game, lasted 20 minutes ithink before been black carded. Ballintubber won the game fairly handily

Came on and scored 2 points before the black card. Conor Loftus continues his upward trajectory. Galway the dark horses and the Rossies for Connacht, Mayo a busted flush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Came on and scored 2 points before the black card. Conor Loftus continues his upward trajectory. Galway the dark horses and the Rossies for Connacht, Mayo a busted flush.

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement