Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maths Secondary Teaching

• 02-07-2012 2:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

After searching around here a good few times, I've still yet to find an exact answer to this, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

Long story short, I want to be a Maths secondary school teacher. Got A's in Maths, Physics and Applied Maths in the LC a few years ago, and looking to go back to college next year next year (Sept 2012, just doing some research in advance!). Pretty much only considering Trinity and UCD. A degree in Pure maths (TR031 or the Maths route through Science in UCD) would be the obvious option, although I've haven't exactly heard great things about those courses (very tedious, not enjoyable). The TSM options with Maths in Trinity don't look too great either. Also, Probably the most enjoyable subject I had was Applied Maths, so I'd definitely want to choose a course that would allow me to teach that in the future. On that basis, Theoretical Physics in either Trinity or UCD seems like it would be the most appropriate course that covers those topics and also seems pretty interesting. Anyone any opinions?

Also, if anybody went into teaching after doing Maths in college, what route did they take? I'd imagine a GradDip in Maths? Would I also have to do a separate GradDip in Applied Maths If I wanted to teach that? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭doc_17

Have a look at this link...

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Publications/autoquals_86299814.doc

It gives details of all approved courses in Ireland and what subject(s) they qualify you to teach in second level schools.

I did a degree in Electronic Engineering and Computer Science and then did the HDip in second level teaching.

To teach any subject it has to make up a certain % of your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Hi op,

Have you considered doing something like a double honours degree in Maths and Theoretical/mathematical physics? I did that combination in N.U.I. Maynooth. Loved every minute of it. From a secondary school teaching point of view, the teaching council will only recognise mathematical physics to teach Applied maths and NOT physics (in the case of N.U.I. Maynooth anyway. Simply crazy in my opinion). They want the Experimental physics degree (from Maynooth) to teach Leaving cert physics. If you are recognised to teach leaving cert phyiscs, then this qualifies you to teach Junior cert science also.

You will also need to get an education qualification. It's not called the professional diploma in education. It is being increased to a two year course after the bunch enroles in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

You may not want to consider other universities but I will point out that NUI Galway offers a 4 year degree in Maths and Education. On completion of that
    degree programme, you will be qualified (and recognised by the Teaching Council) to teach maths and applied maths in a secondary school and you will also have your teaching qualification built in (no need to do another year for a diploma). Mathematically, it is not as advanced as a pure maths degree
    from Trinity but the advantage is that you get the teaching qualification as
    part of the degree.

PS I notice that that programme is not mentioned in the document linked to by doc_17 which makes me wonder if that document is current, as I know for a fact that the NUI Galway programme exists and is Teaching Council approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭doc_17

Yeah having the teaching qualification built in is a massive bonus as it saves you two years after your degree. That. Purse in Galway sounds like the one you're after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NewBoss

Cheers for all the quick responses, very helpful. I hadn't really considered any of the colleges outside Dublin, but looking at that NUIG course, it seems to fit the bill perfectly for what I wanted

• Advertisement

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that Maynooth do a science education degree just like what what was mentioned above too. It's only a 40 min train ride from Dublin. As an added bonus, Maynooth have an amazing maths support centre too.

Thanks TheBody, went to have a look for info on the Science Education course and came across this http://www.careersportal.ie/courses/coursedetail.php?course_id=17617 which is basically the same one that was suggested above in Galway, it seems ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Hey,
    Just one thing to bear in mind if you're set on teaching is your employability. While I say yes it's good to do a course in which you will get to teach the subjects you like the most, is there much demand for Applied Maths teachers? Granted I know there isn't much demand for any teachers these days but just not all schools offer Applied Maths as a subject so being able to teach it mightn't stand to you much.
    Just something to keep in mind, if there was another subject that you'd also enjoy? Although those 4 yrs Maths Education courses do seem ideal for you...

I myself am after completing an Arts degree in NUI Galway with pure Maths and Gaeilge as my degree subjects and am starting the PDE in September.

Good luck anyways!

The only other subject that I could see myself teaching would be Music, but I don't really know how that combination of subjects would be possible (along with Maths)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

NewBoss wrote: »
    The only other subject that I could see myself teaching would be Music, but I don't really know how that combination of subjects would be possible (along with Maths)

Don't see why not. I think you could do a double-honours arts degree in Maynooth in Maths and Music, or a single hons in Maths with Music as a minor. Someone else might be able to confirm this.

• Advertisement

Don't see why not. I think you could do a double-honours arts degree in Maynooth in Maths and Music, or a single hons in Maths with Music as a minor. Someone else might be able to confirm this.

Yes, you can indeed do a double houours in maths and music in Maynooth. However, you would need to to the Professional Diploma in Education after that in order to teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

You really need to head over to the teaching and lecturing forums and have a look around there for a bit. The chances of becoming a fully qualified maths and music teacher with gainfull employment in this country in the foreseeable future are slim to nill! So do a LOT more research before you stake your future on it.
    You should have posted this in that forum in the first instance and had you done so you would have gotten a totally different response!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    You really need to head over to the teaching and lecturing forums and have a look around there for a bit. The chances of becoming a fully qualified maths and music teacher with gainfull employment in this country in the foreseeable future are slim to nill! So do a LOT more research before you stake your future on it.
    You should have posted this in that forum in the first instance and had you done so you would have gotten a totally different response!

The OP doesn't need to visit that forum to know that teaching jobs are thin on the ground at the moment!

Anyway, it's probably too late for the OP to apply for uni for this September, so wouldn't be starting until Sept 2013. Given that the most common route is to take a three or four year primary degree, followed by a PGDE that's likely to be two years by then, they won't be emerging into the workforce for another 6 or 7 years. Who's to say what the employment prospects are likely to be then?

Also, by going down this route, they can also decide after the primary degree that they'd like to take their career in a different direction, and a degree in maths (with or without music) is a highly valuable and versatile qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jenno99

I've been a maths teacher in the uk for 8 years now. I've got a maths degree (mainly pure and statistics) which has helped me teach the harder A level stuff but there are plenty of maths teachers with degrees in things like Physics, Economics, Architecture, Biology, etc.

A good subject knowledge is important (which Physics would give you) but enthusiasm for the subject and ability to explain ideas are just as important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Check out musicmentals posts in teaching and lecturing, i did music and maths physics (as a minor) in ucc.. Not enough modules to fit with tc for maths so might do an open university add on..any jobs i des offered for music are part time and low hours so the maths might be a handy option for you to pick up the slack... I.e. take the 5hours a week offered by the school but make it known that yould be willing to do some maths or maths resource classes...

Any permanent jobs its usually music and irish, or music and religion,

maybe log on to educationposts.ie and have a look at jobs on offer and subject combinations required

As regard s courses these days I reckon it can be the extra curricular stuff that might swing it for you in an interview so get involved in other things too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Forgot to say, for music most of your time might be spent organising for masses and ceremonies with choirs or accompanying on piano for practicals...so maybe if you are a good piano player or am interest in choirs this will stand to you...even if you dont end up teaching the subject!

apologies for all the non maths here

I think UL do maths teaching with other subjects also...also consider a pure degree might be more employable if the teaching doesn't come through! Were told at inservice that stats is the next big thing. Personally I dont believe in following the ' next big thing ' though.

Advertisement