Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guidline prices for tiling

• 20-01-2010 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

I am looking refurbishing the bathroom in my apartment and I am trying to estimate how much it will cost me to get in a tiler. The quotes I have so far are very different so I was wondering if people can tell me what is a rough guideline for fitting tiles per square metre these days?

The job would be relatively small 15-20 sqm.

Thanks

SK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Clarelassie

We just got quoted here in Clare 12euros a sq yard. But we are getting a very large area done and tiler is quoting to keep himself busy - said he would rather be busy in current climate and is. Prices in Vienna could be very different!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Thanks for the infor Clairlassie. That seems pretty cheap compared to the quotes I have been getting (the job actually is in Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

sliabh wrote: »
    I am looking refurbishing the bathroom in my apartment and I am trying to estimate how much it will cost me to get in a tiler. The quotes I have so far are very different so I was wondering if people can tell me what is a rough guideline for fitting tiles per square metre these days?

The job would be relatively small 15-20 sqm.

Thanks

SK

Just to discuss the figures a little. 20 Sqr meters at 30 Euro is 600 Euro

20 Square meters at 15 euro is...... 300.

If my memory serves correct. (Its a couple of months)

25 Euro for ceramic
    30 Euro for Porc
    35 Euro for Marble.

More importantly. What is the prep work. Is there existing tiles on the wall/floor and is the floor wooden or concrete.

These is not a whole lot of difference in the job price I would be more concerned in the finish which would cost more to rectify. Be sure to get references and have a look at the job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The average is about 30 euro a square meter for Dublin.

Thats what a fair few of the builders quotes we recently got had on them.

That is the sort of information I am looking for. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭targus

The cost per sq metre during the boom times was about €30 euro for standard tiles.

The cost now is anything from €15-20.

Shop around,you shouldnt be paying anymore than €20.

targus wrote: »
    The cost per sq metre during the boom times was about €30 euro for standard tiles.

The cost now is anything from €15-20.

Shop around,you shouldnt be paying anymore than €20.

I dont agree with you.In fact you dont know much about the trade. A good tiler. is worth the money and marble takes a lot of time. Porc equally

If you want macdonalds then pay macdonalds prices.

op. get references.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I dont agree with you.In fact you dont know much about the trade. A good tiler. is worth the money and marble takes a lot of time. Porc equally

op. get references.

You sound very much like the last builder we spoke to when reviewing his quotatin for a house renovation.

But its true,you are paying for the quality of fit and the skill.

paddy147 wrote: »
    You sound very much like the last builder we spoke to when reviewing his quotatin for a house renovation.

But its true,you are paying for the quality of fit and the skill.

I dont have a clue what you mean sorry. But if I am reading this correctly your baseing your experience of the tile industry on a conversation you had with your builder. Tiling is an art. I am NOT a tiler but I am so long in the business that i can spot a bad job very quickly. I can also spot a bad tiler based on his her prices.

Its a reasonable logic to assume that a slow patient tiler who is very good will not do a lot of jobs but will do them so well that she/he will be in demand. Its equally reasonable to assume that fast assembly line tilers cut corners and do shoddy work. Both assumptions do not always prove correct but its been my experience that a slow tiler is a perfectionist.

I think you are agreeing with me in your last line.

Always get references. remember its not the cost of the 20 mtrs of tiling that is the problem its the cost to remove the 20 meters of tiling if the tiler fooked up and believe me with due respect everybody in eastern europe might be excellent workers but that does not make them excellent tilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭targus

op. get references.

Whether I do or not is irrelevant,I am merely stating what the current average prices are.The op never mentioned marble so i dont understand why you did.The prices I mentioned are for standard ceramic tiles.For what its worth I know quite a bit about current prices for all trades,but of course you will always have the fools who dont shop around and pay above market rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Be Nice and stay on topic, Pullease.....:)

targus wrote: »

Whether I do or not is irrelevant,I am merely stating what the current average prices are.The op never mentioned marble so i dont understand why you did.The prices I mentioned are for standard ceramic tiles.For what its worth I know quite a bit about current prices for all trades,but of course you will always have the fools who dont shop around and pay above market rates.

They are not fools. I seen many jobs done by fools and whilst granted you can get an expensive fool I dont know anyone who tiles for the rate you quote. But the op is free to confirm that.
    Be Nice and stay on topic, Pullease.....:)

If i have said something wrong I apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,760 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I recently got the bathroom tiled - about 18 m2 of wall tiles and 5 m2 floor tiles - and it cost €600. Top class job too.

muffler wrote: »
    I recently got the bathroom tiled - about 18 m2 of wall tiles and 5 m2 floor tiles - and it cost €600. Top class job too.

18 + 5 = 22 / 600 = 27 Euro per meter.......

See I went to a good school.

Thanks muffler for confirming I am only insane sometimes.

Thanks again for all the info. I am being quoted about €30 for ceramic. But a friend from the trade is recommending someone to me. Just for information, during the boom we got stone done (bathroom, hall and stairs) for €35 by a guy from Swords. He was excellent. I just wish he hadn't changed his phone number in the last 4 years so I can't reach him now! :-)

18 + 5 = 22

See I went to a good school.
    :D

sliabh wrote: »
    Thanks again for all the info. I am being quoted about €30 for ceramic. But a friend from the trade is recommending someone to me. Just for information, during the boom we got stone done (bathroom, hall and stairs) for €35 by a guy from Swords. He was excellent. I just wish he hadn't changed his phone number in the last 4 years so I can't reach him now! :-)

PM me his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

when i was at school 18+ 5= 23:)

tfer wrote: »

My school suffered cutbacks! your point being! Your school was better than mine. Wooo Hoooo!

tfer there may have been an element of urine extraction in that post...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

just having a laugh joey, no need to be getting obstreperous :)

Yet again I fear you missed the liquid urea...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

18 + 5 = 22 / 600 = 27 Euro per meter.......

When I was in school 22/600 was = 0.03666666666666666666666666666667

:P

tfer wrote: »
    You're new here so we will allow you one mistake ;)

<SNIP>

With due respect your either

a. Off the wall

b. Not a good tiler

c. You like working for free.

There is nobody worthy that spends the time it takes to do marble correctly that does it at these prices.

If this were the case. A tiler would do a kitchen of adverage 14 meters for

210 Euro.

That equates to 3 days work possibly 4 days for 210 Euro

Never will that happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 2S2B

With due respect your either

a. Off the wall

b. Not a good tiler

c. You like working for free.

There is nobody worthy that spends the time it takes to do marble correctly that does it at these prices.

If this were the case. A tiler would do a kitchen of adverage 14 meters for

210 Euro.
    Never will that happen.

We are just after building our new house and this is what our tiler charged us. In the current economic climate he wanted to work so that's what he charged and that's what we paid him.
    We put in tavertine marble tiles in our hall and kitchen, sunroom etc and his work is impeccable.
    So thank you for your comments but they are wrong.

2s2b More trolling I think.... It was per meter on your last post.Its per hours now. Please stop trying to fool people. With tileing you get what you pay for. Granted sometimes you pay a lot for crap. Thats why correct references are important.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LauraH12345

Hi

Looking for a polish tiler to lay wood effect tiles & kitchen splash back in the Cork area

Any recommendations?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Hi

Looking for a polish tiler to lay wood effect tiles & kitchen splash back in the Cork area

Any recommendations?

Are you looking for a Polish tiler or a polished tiler? Lol. And why just a polish person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 LauraH12345

tradesman wrote: »
    Are you looking for a Polish tiler or a polished tiler? Lol. And why just a polish person?

Haha Polish tiler. I'm just looking for a good recommendation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement