Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSG : Blood & Chrome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭alexindublin

I've started a mini fan-site for Blood & Chrome that will be part of my BSG site but i don't have alot of time to search for info for it. If anyone comes across any info or news about Blood & Chrome could you let me know.Or even if someone is interested in writing on any of the 3 sites (Battlestar Galactica, Caprica & Blood & Chrome give me a shout. Blood & Chrome is here http://bloodandchrome.battlestargalactica.tv/ and there's links to the others.

Thanks a mill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 26,138 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I've started a mini fan-site for Blood & Chrome that will be part of my BSG site but i don't have alot of time to search for info for it. If anyone comes across any info or news about Blood & Chrome could you let me know.Or even if someone is interested in writing on any of the 3 sites (Battlestar Galactica, Caprica & Blood & Chrome give me a shout. Blood & Chrome is here http://bloodandchrome.battlestargalactica.tv/ and there's links to the others.

Thanks a mill.

More than a few errors.

You have the actor who is playing Adama wrong for start

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Ronald D Moore's Wikipedia page states that he was originally asked to develop Blood and Chrome as a series of webisodes to run alongside Caprica ... but after Caprica's cancellation it was decided to turn the idea into a full series -- without any direct involvement from Moore.

Ehm, would like to know more about what went on there tbh. For one thing, I loved Caprica and was very sad to see it cut short. Always had the impression that RDM was the heart and soul of the new BSG universe... and hearing this news compounds my fears that Blood And Chrome is cashing in on the brand and little else.

Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Goodshape wrote: »
    Ronald D Moore's Wikipedia page states that he was originally asked to develop Blood and Chrome as a series of webisodes to run alongside Caprica ... but after Caprica's cancellation it was decided to turn the idea into a full series -- without any direct involvement from Moore.

Ehm, would like to know more about what went on there tbh. For one thing, I loved Caprica and was very sad to see it cut short. Always had the impression that RDM was the heart and soul of the new BSG universe... and hearing this news compounds my fears that Blood And Chrome is cashing in on the brand and little else.

Pity.

Is David Eick involved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    Is David Eick involved?

I heard David Eick is the driving force behind this.

And from IMDB:
    Series Produced by
    David Eick .... executive producer (1 episode, 2011)
    Glen A. Larson .... consulting producer (1 episode, 2011)
    Michael Taylor .... executive producer (1 episode, 2011)
    Bradley Thompson .... co-executive producer (1 episode, 2011)
    David Weddle .... co-executive producer (1 episode, 2011)

So familiar names all round really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

And Michael Taylor too. I started reading some posts on other forums and people do seem happy enough that Taylor and Eick are involved. Maybe not all bad.

Didn't read why specifically RDM moved on, except to say he was / would be busy developing a new idea for Sony so isn't available for any official role in B&C.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

noodler wrote: »
    Looks terribly miscast too me.

Scrawny teenager?

Maybe if he bulks up or somthing but I can not see it for the life of me.
    Have to agree. Why didn't they just use the guy they had for the Razor flasbacks - worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Looks terribly miscast too me.

Scrawny teenager?

Maybe if he bulks up or somthing but I can not see it for the life of me.

I know what you mean but I'd be willing to give it a chance, when I heard Starbuck was female in the new BSG I wrote it off without seeing an episode, but as soon as it aired in the US I was hooked

homas Potter - BSG B&C - military advisor, notes they are "Working battle choreography for nine Battlestars via plan consulted with large input from U.S. Naval War College. Stunningly intelligent conflict. Has the pace and rhythm of BSG S4 E1's opening."

• Advertisement

homas Potter - BSG B&C - military advisor, notes they are "Working battle choreography for nine Battlestars via plan consulted with large input from U.S. Naval War College. Stunningly intelligent conflict. Has the pace and rhythm of BSG S4 E1's opening."

So they are going to have at least 9 battlestars in the miniseries - interesting.

Dieing to see if the Battlestars exist during Caprica's time (the show) or were they actually made in response to the Cylons.

It makes more sense for me that they would have already existed but then you'd have thought the war would have been relatively quick.

I'd love a copy of that cylon war painting Adama has in his office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

It makes more sense for me that they would have already existed but then you'd have thought the war would have been relatively quick.

Well the way things are portrayed in 'Caprica' then the battlestar, if it was around when 'Caprica' takes place, would have been developed by a single colony alone as they aren't anywhere near as unified as they are after the cylon war.

So more than likely one colony would have had battlestars, just like Caprica was likely going to be the only colony that would have Cylons (since they were the ones ready to contract companies to develop military robots).

So it was either developed as a response to the Cylons or shared by one colony with the rest at the outbreak of the war. Personally I like the idea of the battlestar being developed by an individual colony before the war, it would have been a major super weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

So is this going to be following on from the 'reimagined' BSG or going back to the roots of The Original Series envisaged by Glen Larson?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

Dieing to see if the Battlestars exist during Caprica's time (the show) or were they actually made in response to the Cylons.

I'd love a copy of that cylon war painting Adama has in his office.

The first Battlestars were built during the early days of the Cylon War. Twelve were built at first, each one representing one of the twelve colonies.

That does'nt mean they would'nt have any carrier-type warships before the construction of the Battlestars.

irishthump wrote: »
    The first Battlestars were built during the early days of the Cylon War. Twelve were built at first, each one representing one of the twelve colonies.

That does'nt mean they would'nt have any carrier-type warships before the construction of the Battlestars.

Thats the original series mythology ain't it though?

I feel sorry for whoever has to fill the gaps - we assume (do we?) that the Cylons revolt on all the colonies, and somehow get ships (how they get ships and the colonies manage to construct battlestars in the same period seems strange to me).

Anyway - thats all for someone else to work out.

Thats the original series mythology ain't it though?

No, not at all. It's even mentioned in the reimagined mini-series. When a tour guide is showing a group of visitors around the soon-to-be-decommisioned Galactica, he mentions that there were originally twelve Battlestars each representing one of the colonies. Galactica represented Caprica.

It's quite the opposite for the original series; Larson said many times that it was never their intention to have only twelve Battlestars. That was purely a fan-creation which seems to have been carried into the reimagined series.

The OS mentions battles which involved Colonial fleets comprising hundreds of vessels. It's just a shame the effects of the day were'nt up to portraying that on screen...
    I feel sorry for whoever has to fill the gaps - we assume (do we?) that the Cylons revolt on all the colonies, and somehow get ships (how they get ships and the colonies manage to construct battlestars in the same period seems strange to me).

Strange how?

irishthump wrote: »
    No, not at all. It's even mentioned in the reimagined mini-series. When a tour guide is showing a group of visitors around the soon-to-be-decommisioned Galactica, he mentions that there were originally twelve Battlestars each representing one of the colonies. Galactica represented Caprica.

It's quite the opposite for the original series; Larson said many times that it was never their intention to have only twelve Battlestars. That was purely a fan-creation which seems to have been carried into the reimagined series.

The OS mentions battles which involved Colonial fleets comprising hundreds of vessels. It's just a shame the effects of the day were'nt up to portraying that on screen...

Strange how?

Well, obviously not knowing what the writes/producers intend regarding the existing level of space tech..

If there is a full scale uprising on the colonies then why build Battlestars? Personally, it only seems logical to do so if the Cylons manage to get ships first. Now that seems just as improbable - I can understand them procuring exisitng ships and maybe adjusting them but actually buidling old school basestars and raiders? When do they get a chance to do that?

If there are Cylons flying about in the sky pre-Battlestars then you wonder how you go about getting enough peace in any of the orbits to actually build the battlestars.

Anyway, maybe they'll come up with some ingenious... "they must have been building ships in secret for years" story but its just something personally that seems hard to resolve (maybe they won't even take a crack at it).

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

I think it's safe to say battlestars were probably around before the cylon revolt. Caprica showed the development of Cylons as a military resource and the reimagined series had political terrorists like Tom Zarek.

So we can assume before the development of Cylons the different colonies had their differences. In a recently produced map of the Twelve Colonies Leonis and Virgon are mentioned to have competing empires. So perhaps we could see the 12 Colonies as being administered much like the EU, once a warring continent now settled into political union. But the major powers still have their armies (UK, France, Italy and even Germany).

Well, obviously not knowing what the writes/producers intend regarding the existing level of space tech..

If there is a full scale uprising on the colonies then why build Battlestars? Personally, it only seems logical to do so if the Cylons manage to get ships first. Now that seems just as improbable - I can understand them procuring exisitng ships and maybe adjusting them but actually buidling old school basestars and raiders? When do they get a chance to do that?

If there are Cylons flying about in the sky pre-Battlestars then you wonder how you go about getting enough peace in any of the orbits to actually build the battlestars.

Anyway, maybe they'll come up with some ingenious... "they must have been building ships in secret for years" story but its just something personally that seems hard to resolve (maybe they won't even take a crack at it).

Well personally I don't see it as much of a stretch of the imagination.

If the Cylons, who were first designed as soldiers and heavy labourers, managed to control even a couple of planets which were rich in resources then I would think they would be well able to produce baseships and raiders and more of themselves! They're robots after all, able to work round the clock and maybe relentlessly churn out military equipment.

But then it's also conceivable that Cylon Basestars were built in response to the Colonials producing their Battlestars. The Battlestars may have been the first "super weapons" of the Cylon War and the machines simply reponded to that with larger, more powerful warships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ViP3r

The colonies created a federal government after the first war.

Some of the existing Military spacecraft operated by the various colonies were commandeered by cylons through physical incursion and electronic warfare. Some civilian ships were also requisitioned. They also had a number of cylon controlled vessels pre uprosing.

The Cylons quickly amassed a presence in space, utilising superior electronic warfare to counter colonial weaponry and jam communications. This led to a number of critical defeats to colony coalition forces early on until they began to use previously redundant technology. It wasn't long before the coalition forces began to adapt to operations with limited communications, keeping tighter fleet formations etc. The cylons began to suffer heavy losses and lose orbital ground over the colonies. Throughout the course of this they cylons were using highly effective hit and run assaults on colonial supply lines and tactical positions. Hence the term cylon raider, as the AI utilised FTL to great effect. So the battlestars were designed from the outset to (A) deal with the electronic vulnerabilities, (B) the need for a multirole type vessel, and (C) the need to respond quicky to cylon raids, ie viper launch tubes.

The first basestars we're developed in secret. The cylon shipyards were hidden.

I read this as leaked info on a blog ages ago when the show started airing. It's funny because at the time it referred to a particular program acting as a catalyst for the cylon uprising. Get this, it was called ZOE. It was vaguely referred to as a program developed in connection with the military.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Disapointing to read this today...

http://io9.com/5834264/battlestar-galactica-blood-and-chrome-may-get-demoted-back-to-being-a-webseries

I think it could be a couple of years until we see new BSG on the telly, hopefully not :(

Edit: Looks like this is just an article based on Richard Dower's link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

cant see that page at all because of the sopa thing :/

New updates on B&C: http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/8983/syfy-preps-blood-chrome-for-release.html

http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/03/beauty-and-beast-casting-news-blood.html

Why do I report on that pilot (which truthfully doesn't sound good to me) ? Two reasons : first, there's Alan Dale, that's cool. Second, it's because Karen LeBlanc has signed to join this pilot despite her commitment to SyFy's Blood and Chrome, the Battlestar Galactica spin-off in which she was supposed to co-star (as a secondary character, but still).

The 90-minute TV movie introducing Blood and Chrome has been filmed a long time ago and Bear McCreary (the amazing composer of BSG) has recently put a score on it. But a co-star leaving the ship (literally), the pilot limping its way through the years, SyFy announcing new original programming recently (and not a word on BSG B&C) and the fact that a series would be very expensive might refrain SyFy's will to commit to a first season order. However, the TV movie/pilot might air this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Not too sure about the excessive use of green-screen but, I suppose, anything to keep costs down,.........

Not too sure about the excessive use of green-screen but, I suppose, anything to keep costs down,.........

Yeah, know what you mean. The on-ship bits look a bit...

Ah well, just happy they've actually done the post-production.

Adama still looks miscast to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Am in work so could only watch that in a small window with no sound but that looks amazing. That single ad looks better than the whole series of Caprica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Looks like it'll be sticking to a web series..........

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/battlestar-galactica-blood-and-chrome-cancelled-syfy/
    It’s a case of bad news/good news for Battlestar Galactica fans who have been flocking to the Web to watch an unauthorized trailer for the long-in-the-works offshoot Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome over the past 36 hours. After lengthy deliberations, Syfy has decided not to go forward with the project, about the young years of William Adama, as a regular TV series. Blood & Chrome, initially envisioned as a Web series, was greenlighted as a two-hour TV pilot in October 2010. Because of intensive post-production, including special effects, the pilot was not delivered to Syfy until last November. As of January, Syfy president original programming Mark Stern was quoted as saying that he the network brass were “trying to figure out the economics right now” and that he hoped those would be figured out. Now, the network has passed on the project as a regular series but is looking to do it as a digital one, while airing the already produced pilot on the network as a movie. “Though the vision for “Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome” has evolved over the course of the past year, our enthusiasm for this ambitious project has not waned,” Stern said in a statement today. “We are actively pursuing it as was originally intended: a groundbreaking digital series that will launch to audiences beyond the scope of a television screen. The 90-minute pilot movie will air on Syfy in its entirety at a future date.”

Despite the lengthy production and decision-making, the buzz about Blood & Chrome never died among Battlestar fans. It went into overdrive over the past couple of days following a WonderCom panel over the weekend with Kevin Grazier, the scientific adviser for Syfy’s Battlestar Galactica series, where he screened what was described as a trailer for Blood & Chrome. That trailer, to Trent Reznor and Karen O’s cover of “Immigrant Song” for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, found its way to the Web on Monday night and has gone viral — garnering some 100,000 views in 24 hours. The problem was that this was not an official trailer but a demo reel not intended for public consumption and thus not put through the process of clearing music and other rights. It is still unclear how the video made its way to WonderCon, but NBCUniversal today moved swiftly to take down the multiple copies that had popped up on YouTube. Universal Cable Prods, which produces Blood & Chrome, may still shop the project to other networks. Michael Taylor wrote the teleplay from a story by Battlestar Galactica executive producer David Eick, Taylor and Bradley Thompson & David Weddle.

To be honest, that video from yesterday kinda looked more like a web series (albeit a hugely expensive web series) than an actual TV series. Pity.

Advertisement