Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest petrol in Clare ?

• 30-12-2008 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Which garage in Clare is generally the cheapest ? I drive up to Sligo/Mayo area quite a bit and find cheap petrol in Howley's of Gort and especially around Ballindine/Claremorris (3-4c per litre less than Ennis) ?

Without naming current prices (as they fluctuate too much for a comparison), which garage do you find cheapest ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Im not a driver myself but I hear O'Keefes out in Drumcliffe and Dan McInerny's (its just outside Cloughleigh with an entrance on Mill Road) are the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I filled up yesterday in the Maxol in Clarecastle for only 90.9 for Diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Golden Vale place in Cross is the cheapest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

finbarrk wrote: »
    The Golden Vale place in Cross is the cheapest now.

@ what price ?. In Tralee we are paying over .95c pre litre, but I read in some news paper today that some parts of Cork are less than .90c.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I got it for 94.9 (petrol), Diesal is 93.9 in most places now, not sure about DAn McInerney's, but himself, Goldenvale, Peader O'Keeffe and Michael O'Reilly were always cheap for diesal, O'Reilly's normally the cheapest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gudman09

dh0661 wrote: »
    @ what price ?. In Tralee we are paying over .95c pre litre, but I read in some news paper today that some parts of Cork are less than .90c.

all the co-ops back west are nice and cheap at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

The cheapest in Miltown Malbay at the moment is €0.989 at Vaughan's on the Lahinch road.

How come petrol is still so expensive when the price for a barrel of crude oil has dropped from $147 to $30 something. By that proportion we should only be paying about €0.30 per litre!

Jim Martin wrote: »
    By that proportion we should only be paying about €0.30 per litre!

By proportion you would be correct, but don't forget that we have one of the highest excise and VAT rate in the EU to add on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

As Donna says, it's all tax, and it wasn't a percentage tax that used to be added on, it was always 4p, 8c and stuff like that. Remember the greens put a carbon tax of 8c up in the last budget, if it wasn't for that petrol would be down close to 90c per litre

I don't think people would mind so much if they knew the tax was going to be put towards something relevant to improving public transport rather than just disappearing down bottomless black holes!

• Advertisement

Don't know what the cheapest is in Clare at the moment but it was said on Newstalk this morn that the cheapest listeners had found was in Birr - 94.9c, the dearest was €107.9 but can't remember where. They said retailers set the price, it's up to us to shop around - I'm damned if I'm going to drive all the way to Birr to save 4c a litre! The government (as we know to our cost) are not doing their job, they should regulate this b****y minefield (as well as others)!

Jim Martin wrote: »
    The government (as we know to our cost) are not doing their job, they should regulate this b****y minefield (as well as others)!

The government have regulated the price of electricity and we pay the highest rate in the EU.
    Please don't let the government regulate the price of petrol as well, they take enough tax from it anyway.

There's regulation and there's regulation - it depends what kind of government are screwing us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭romah

Worked out the cost of going to Birr for 94.9c litre petrol...
    Price of Petrol in Ennis at the moment is average 104.9c per litre

Distance travelled from Ennis : 228kms (114 Km each way according to AA roadwatch)

Lets say average fuel consumption is 7 litres per 100km..according to CSO

Then It will cost you approx 8 litres x 104.9c to get there ..€8.40 using petrol bought in Ennis
    and 8 litres x 94.9c = €7.59 to get back because you bought the new petrol in Birr.
    TOTAL : € 15.99

SO Average fuel tank capacity is say 50/60 litres ... so save between €5 - €6 for the tank .....!!!!

Concusion : Not worth the trip !!! :mad:

Petrol has just gone up from 96.9c to 103.9 in Miltown Malbay, a big jump! Does anyone know what the current price of a barrell of oil is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

45 dollars or something like that? Arab countries are all struggling. Costs about 30 dollars to get it out of the ground, but in Dubai they invested heavily on the presumption that they'd get 100 dollars per barrel. So all the business has gone to South America.

Bet you they'll cut production, and drive the oil/petrol prices again. All that 'we've hit peak oil, go build wind farms' talk in the papers last year was horse****. It was just the usual stupid manipulation by the markets.

I think 1 of the main drivers behind the cost of oil is production in China, as there is a global recession they aren't making as much stuff so they don't need as much oil, that's bringing the price down. When the price was well over $100 they weren't interested in raising production as there was a lot of speculations in the price, not actual demand. I remember on top gear they were saying that only something like 10p of the cost of petrol was for oil, the rest was tax and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Western_sean

Oil is $43.20 at the minute (WTI as opposed to brent). I think I read somewhere that at the moment in Ireland 72c per litre of petrol is tax.

The first petrol I ever bought was 52p a litre and that's not too long ago either! Feckin indirect taxes.....

Ah but think of all the great work that those taxes do for the roads, actually, that's road tax. How about the lovely motorways, oh wait, tolls. Ah, new cars are cheapers, oh wait VRT

The way everything seems to be going down the pan, it is imperative for all governments to spend as much of petrol/diesel/road tax as possible on sustainable transport, especially railways which are much more fuel efficent & less polluting!

• Advertisement

Public Transport is the way forward. I commute from Ennis to Limerick every day, I don't have anyone else in the car with me, the amount of people that are the same as me every morning is crazy, if there was a suitable alternative for me I would take it.

Don't forget that Clare had a rail network that covered a lot of the county, that went to limerick, Kilkee, up the coast, little spur into Shannon and your sorted, but due to lack of foresight it was not only dug up but all sold on so it couldn't be reopened in years to come.

'Clareman', why don't you use the excellent train service, I believe the fares are quite reasonable Ennis - Limerick.

Tax breaks are available too:

http://www.taxsaver.ie/

I work in Raheen, if I was to get the train it would take me ~2 hours to get to work each day, whereas by driving I can get in in 45 minutes and can come and go as I please.

What are you paying in Clare these days lads ?

In Tralee we're @ 89.9 for diesel & 99.9 for petrol, I think that in Killarney they are paying about 5c more.

BUMP - are you guys too embarrass to tell me how much you are paying ?

Still 103.9 in Miltown Malbay!

Just went past 5 petrol stations (Captain Macs, Shell by there, Hogan's, Maxol on Kildysart Cross and O'Sullivan & Hanisbury), all 104.9

We're doing well in Tralee so :D

Sure you couldn't be keeping up with you Kerry lot :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The petrol has to be cheaper or else everybody would move out of Kerry.

I propose we organise a protectionist coup. We create a Peoples Republic of Clare and all that money that goes into the Luas we can funnel back into relaunching the Ennis Town (ET) bus and a new landfill to put all the Information Age PC's into.

Advertisement