Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU elections (Full time and part time) **MOD NOTE** POST #1 and #26

• 12-02-2012 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

So watching SU elections around the country start off, first year in Galway and want to get some more info on the NUIG ones,
    Who's running and for what?
    What's different between them?
    When are the dates of nominations and election?

** MOD NOTE**

Declaration of SU Allegiances 2012 - POSTING IN ELECTION THREAD WITHOUT POSTING HERE = BAN

The NUIG SU election time has rolled around again. Please read the following post carefully and abide by that which you find in it so that our little forum can continue in relative peace....

If you wish to engage in discussion in the SU election thread you must first post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056567675 and state which, if any, candidates or campaigns you are affiliated/related/best mates with.

Thank yousmile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

bildo wrote: »
    LOL!

Nope, I've been thinking about it now for a few minutes and still don't understand the point of your comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Nope, I've been thinking about it now for a few minutes and still don't understand the point of your comment.

It's internet slang. It originated as an abbreviation for "laughing out loud" or "laugh out loud", though this is something of a misnomer, as the user rarely, in fact, laughs out loud when using the abbreviation. Through overuse the abbreviation has descended into moreso a sort of alternative to "I have nothing to say".

In this case bildo is expressing his opinion that NUIGHead's post is laughable, but, perhaps due to the pointlessness of the thread, does not feel that there would be any merit in detailing whether this is because
      the new user claims to be following SU elections, which are almost entirely pointless, around the entire country
      he feels the user is being dishonest in giving the impression that s/he is merely a curious observer
      the OP asks what differences there are between the candidates, as though there were somehow any that were both honest and different from other election candidates in any election ever
      if the candidate were truly a curious observer s/he could either simply Google the dates s/he seeks, or find it on one of the many posters which seem to be plastered all over campus in this inexplicable, unprecedented drive to encourage students to vote
      he has nothing to say, for a change, but feels obliged to comment nonetheless (cf. third sentence)

That is my interpretation of it, at any rate...

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

I actually did LOL at this. SU election threads are inevitably lulzy here at boards. Especially since the last one was heavilly directed at myself.

Simply anticipating the huge buckets of lols that are bound to be extracted at this lolcow of a thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Ficheall wrote: »
    It's internet slang. It originated as an abbreviation for "laughing out loud" or "laugh out loud", though this is something of a misnomer, as the user rarely, in fact, laughs out loud when using the abbreviation. Through overuse the abbreviation has descended into moreso a sort of alternative to "I have nothing to say".

In this case bildo is expressing his opinion that NUIGHead's post is laughable, but, perhaps due to the pointlessness of the thread, does not feel that there would be any merit in detailing whether this is because
    • the new user claims to be following SU elections, which are almost entirely pointless, around the entire country
    • he feels the user is being dishonest in giving the impression that s/he is merely a curious observer
    • the OP asks what differences there are between the candidates, as though there were somehow any that were both honest and different from other election candidates in any election ever
    • if the candidate were truly a curious observer s/he could either simply Google the dates s/he seeks, or find it on one of the many posters which seem to be plastered all over campus in this inexplicable, unprecedented drive to encourage students to vote
    • he has nothing to say, for a change, but feels obliged to comment nonetheless (cf. third sentence)

That is my interpretation of it, at any rate...

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Full time election candidates:

President
    • Curley, Paul
    • O’Brien, Will

Vice President / Education Officer
    • Brusilovskaya, Tatiana
    • Fennelly, Evelyn
    • Kitt, Rory
    • Reilly, David
    • Stitt, Conor

Vice President / Welfare Officer
    •Adebari, Dami
    • Allen, Robin
    • McCarthy, Sarah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Looking forward to next week now, should be some good banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Vote RON!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

What's the current, hip slur to be thrown these days now that "Fianna Fail stooge" no longer has the same cachet?

I'd say the following will be starting out with a strong lead, although I'll be waiting for campaigns to start before I decide how to vote.

Curley: Heads BizSoc and will get kudos for organising the Commerce Ball which seemed to go down very well this year. Got a strong showing last year so will probably do well this year as well.

Stitt: Topped the poll last year but lost out on transfers. He's left FEE but has a good history of campaigning on mental health, fees etc so should be fairly transfer friendly between both activists and the general student population. Is also the man behind NUIG memes which should add a few extra votes.

Allen: Former Equality Officer (went around with a megaphone shouting for Jim Browne to improve disability access), is involved with literally everything that goes on in NUIG from the Commerce Ball to the Irish National Law Debates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

Robbo wrote: »
    What's the current, hip slur to be thrown these days now that "Fianna Fail stooge" no longer has the same cachet?

Given FEE are running someone for everything, I'm sure they'll conjur something or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

I'm voting RON for President. It's Joe Loughnane or nothing!!

Joe Loughnane isn't a student in NUIG.

Easy mistake to make in fairness, he still hangs around the university a lot and attends protests, Class Rep Council meetings and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I STILL BELIEVE IN HEBER ROWEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

BRING BACK HEBER!

Damn Japan, taking our Heber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NUIGHead

Reading up about it all now, finally the information is getting out there,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKUuuCxX4hQ&list=UUCNZOQ-5aJu0LOZFYgX7lCw&index=2&feature=plcp

And also
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2beR4QcyUw&feature=related

What's the difference between the other candidates?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

HEBER FOR PRES!

He's great, our Heber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Please refrain from casting personal comments (in particular regarding appearance) on any of the NUIG SU candidates please...............

NUIGHead......consider yourself warned:)

What exactly can we discuss?

Reillyman wrote: »
    What exactly can we discuss?

You may discuss the candidates running and what they being to the table in terms of policy etc but you may not make disparaging remarks on any aspect of their appearance (I'd imagine that goes without saying!!)

There is however no personal canvassing allowed:)

A complaint has been raised about postering early, with photos forwarded to the elections committee for review. it's a bull**** rule, but silly for him to let himself get caught out like that.

**Mod note**
    Name of candidate removed as claim is unsubstantiated

Fair enough KittyeeTrix, my apologies.

**MOD NOTE**

Would any of you who have already posted in this thread please re-read the first post and carry out the relevant steps before continuing to contribute to this thread

Thank you:)

Lockstep wrote: »
    based on the current welfare manifestos available online
    Linky? Preferably non-Facewank.

All up on Facebook I'm afraid!

Ugh... typical.
    Any available to view by anyone without an account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

copy paste and pm to you if you wish?
    I only got facebook a month ago. Apparently I wa mising out on something, an endless stream of invites to the most pointless event.

• Advertisement

Does that not contravene Mr. Sherlock's wishes?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement