Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Reading "The Painted Man" by Peter V. Brett. Enjoying it so far - it's still small scale but I reckon it has potential to explode into a bigger story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Currently Reading through the Farseer Trilogy:

Assassins Aprentice,
    Royal Assassin,
    Assassins Quest

by Robin Hobb

Really enjoying them, had read the Liveship Traders before which technically come after these books but im finding this series better.

She also has a few other series all set in the same world, working my way there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

Attempted to start Malazan Book of the Fallen but couldn't get into the first book at all! Decided to start Simon Scarrow's 'Eagle Series'. Page 9, so far so good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

O-Deazy wrote: »
    Attempted to start Malazan Book of the Fallen but couldn't get into the first book at all! Decided to start Simon Scarrow's 'Eagle Series'. Page 9, so far so good :)

Go back to it, my favourite Fantasy series. The world is so massive, it just takes a while before you 'get' it.

On Knife of Dreams now. Have to finish it before Monday. And then I get to read Stonewielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

ixoy wrote: »
    Reading "The Painted Man" by Peter V. Brett. Enjoying it so far - it's still small scale but I reckon it has potential to explode into a bigger story.

I really liked The Painted Man. It was simple but fresh. The second one, The Desert Spear, was alright but didn't improve in quality greatly from the first. I'll probably read the next but the second book has left me very tepid.

Decided not to jump into Banks after all yet and I'm already over half way through Mr. Nice. It's a good read and a nice break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

O-Deazy wrote: »

Man thats hilarious i literally did the complete opposed a few months back. Started book 1 of Eagle Series but gave up on it, & picked up Gardens of the Moon which i had given up on a few years previously, i'm now half way through the 3rd book Memories of Ice & thoroughly enjoying it! The second book Deadhouse Gates was a hard slog but im glad i got through it.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Man thats hilarious i literally did the complete opposed a few months back. Started book 1 of Eagle Series but gave up on it, & picked up Gardens of the Moon which i had given up on a few years previously, i'm now half way through the 3rd book Memories of Ice & thoroughly enjoying it! The second book Deadhouse Gates was a hard slog but im glad i got through it.

haha.. In the end up I went back to Malazan and thought I'd stick it out! The second book is hard to get through? So far I'm finding this first one all over the place.. Theres only good reviews about the series so I'll stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

sentient_6 wrote: »

I've tried 3 times now to get into Gardens of the moon and whatever it is about the books i just can't get into them, which is killing me because i keep reading how good they are and everytime i read a post like this i die a little inside. Must give them a go again after i finish the wheel of time books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I'm 200 odd pages into the second one at the moment, and only now started to have a faint idea who everyone is again. It's like there is a great story there, but its just below the surface, ready to jump out when it all clicks into place, so I'm sticking with it!

Does the first book start making sense at all? I can follow the storyline but it's very jumpy and I'm still not fully sure whats going on.. I'm determined to keep reading it all the same, if I ever get these exams finished of course! :cool:

• Advertisement

It pulls together a little bit toward the end so that you just about have an idea of the picture being painted. The second one is easier to get into although it's a book of two halves. One terrible story line and one fantastic story line but the good outweighs the bad. If your looking for some small explanation you could try starting a "Gardens of the Moon support topic" and a few of ye might pull through together! :D

"Gardens of Moon support topic", not a bad idea but I'll keep going and see how I get on! If it gets any more muddled up I might just start it :p Seems like 1 or 2 people have similar problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

When you get on to the second book; all I have to say is 'Chain of Dogs'

Ok.. right now that means absolutely nothing to me! :P I'll take your word for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

The Malazan world is so vast & complex & i remember when i first tried Gardens i felt like i was literally plonked into the middle of a story with no explanation of what was going on. What helped me big time as a started the 3rd one was i went on to a wiki thing for the books & read up about a few things that i didnt fully understand, like the warrens for magic, & how some of the races interlink & get a clearer picture of what exactly some of them are & where they came from, like the Barghast.

Nothing that gave away anything story wise but gave some greater understanding of the world in general.

http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Malazan_Wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Out of everything I've ever read nothing has come close to topping that entire sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Passage at Arms by Glen Cook.

It's not bad but not grabbing me quite the way I thought it would.

Although I'd previously finished a pretty tough act to follow - Scott Westerfeld's excellent Succession series - "The Killing of Worlds" and "The Risen Empire" which are were right up there with the finest examples of military science fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Yeah the Chain of Dogs plot was easily the best thing in the book. It would have been better if he focused on that (and shaved a few hundred pages off the book) rather than faffing around on subplots that seemed more about setting up characters for subsequent books.

At the moment I'm reading Rise of the Iron Moon by Stephen Hunt which is the third in his "Jackals" series of fantasy steampunk novels.

At the moment I'm reading Rise of the Iron Moon by Stephen Hunt which is the third in his "Jackals" series of fantasy steampunk novels.
    What's that series like? I thought about getting it but then I seem to think about trying every Light-damned series out there.

Finished Children of Dune, it was somewhere in the 6 or 7 out of 10 category for me. Started Hyperion, 50 pages in and loving it. It reminds me of the start of The Reality Dysfunction, before things got a bit crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I read Memories of Ice and haven't read any of the rest. I thought it was a good book but reading about Gardens of the Moon here has put me off a little bit. Keep looking at the book in the shop but just always seem to postpone it.
    Having a bit of trouble trying to read books lately.At the moment have half read a few and bit started a couple others.
    Paul Kearney's Hawkwood and the Kings. I read good things about it but it just hasn't really grabbed hold of my imagination. I'm nearly two thirds of the way through the first book, the new editions where the lumped the series together.
    Another is Jack Vance's Tales of a Dying Earth. Again started this and a fair bit through it. This I think I won't read straight through as I want to digest each story. Usually don't enjoy short story collections but so far this is the exception.
    Tad Williams and his Dragonbone Chair is one which after over a hundred pages in, I cannot be arsed with it. Cannot at all motivate myself to read it more than a few pages. Again another book that generated good reviews. As it stands I'll never finish this.
    Raymond E Feist's Magician, I havent read more than ten pages of this. Just can't seem to work up the desire.
    Started David Farlands Runelords series. Read the first book and thought it was okay. Bit like superheroes with all the endowements though. Again can't be arsed finishing it.
    I was thinking I'm burnt out on fantasy books but Joe Ambercrombie's next book will be bought and read I have no fear and Patrick Rothfusses Wise Man Fear will also be bought and digested.
    Are them other books just a bit blah? Or do I need to read some other completely different books? Tim Powers books sound good. Would anyone recommend them?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I read Memories of Ice and haven't read any of the rest. I thought it was a good book but reading about Gardens of the Moon here has put me off a little bit. Keep looking at the book in the shop but just always seem to postpone it.
    Having a bit of trouble trying to read books lately.At the moment have half read a few and bit started a couple others.
    Paul Kearney's Hawkwood and the Kings. I read good things about it but it just hasn't really grabbed hold of my imagination. I'm nearly two thirds of the way through the first book, the new editions where the lumped the series together.
    Another is Jack Vance's Tales of a Dying Earth. Again started this and a fair bit through it. This I think I won't read straight through as I want to digest each story. Usually don't enjoy short story collections but so far this is the exception.
    Tad Williams and his Dragonbone Chair is one which after over a hundred pages in, I cannot be arsed with it. Cannot at all motivate myself to read it more than a few pages. Again another book that generated good reviews. As it stands I'll never finish this.
    Raymond E Feist's Magician, I havent read more than ten pages of this. Just can't seem to work up the desire.
    Started David Farlands Runelords series. Read the first book and thought it was okay. Bit like superheroes with all the endowements though. Again can't be arsed finishing it.
    I was thinking I'm burnt out on fantasy books but Joe Ambercrombie's next book will be bought and read I have no fear and Patrick Rothfusses Wise Man Fear will also be bought and digested.
    Are them other books just a bit blah? Or do I need to read some other completely different books? Tim Powers books sound good. Would anyone recommend them?

God... maybe fantasy just isn't your genre? Im especially surprised at the dislike of Magician, this is in my opinion one of the best fantasy books around... Riftwar Saga and Serpant War Saga are both brilliant series... Also the co-writen Empire series are even better!

Currently reading "1984" by George Orwell. Surprisingly haven't read this before, even though I enjoy dystopian sci-fi worlds.
    OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I read Memories of Ice and haven't read any of the rest. I thought it was a good book but reading about Gardens of the Moon here has put me off a little bit.
    You read it out of sequence? :eek: It's a difficult first book but the pay off for the series is worth it.

Tad Williams and his Dragonbone Chair is one which after over a hundred pages in, I cannot be arsed with it. Cannot at all motivate myself to read it more than a few pages.
    I loved this series! Thought it was a great trilogy in the vein of the classic LotR style.
    Giving up after ten pages on one of the all-time deserved classics? Blood and ashes!
    The ones above are good! If you really need to try something a bit different than have a look at China Miéville and Scott Lynch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Just finished The Riftwar Legacy series, or at least the ones written.

I was looking forward to this because I'm finally getting to some of the Feist series that I hadn't read (the others are Daughter of Empire and Conclave series).

It had huge potential because there's a big gap in there between Sethanon and King's Buccaneer and James & William were great characters to work with.

But what a letdown. I gave the first one leeway because it was based on the game and was slightly forced along a linear path. The next two are rushed: the plot and characterisation was unpolished, like the cheap work of a young apprentice let loose at his master's forge.

Krondor: The Betrayal 5/10 (being generous)
    Krondor: The Assassins 4/10
    Krondor: Tear of the Gods 3/10

The series is clearly unfinished. Crydee.com says there were plans for 5 books in the series, the last two being Krondor the Crawler, and Krondor the Dark Mage.

If you haven't read The Riftwar Legacy yet, stay away at all costs.

I know Feist can be amazing but I'll need to give it some time before I can face Empire or Conclave :(

Trojan wrote:
    The series is clearly unfinished. Crydee.com says there were plans for 5 books in the series, the last two being Krondor the Crawler, and Krondor the Dark Mage.
    I actually recalled reading a post on his newsgroup years ago and, with a little bit of searching, have rooted this out URL="https://groups.google.com/group/alt.books.raymond-feist/msg/e7085fafc7e28b67?hl=en&dmode=source"]link[/URL:
    Yes. I have no contract for those books, and they will almost
    certainly not be published in that form.

It's far too complex to detail (and besides, it's none of your
    business) but because of the demise of Pyrotechnix and the sale of
    Sierra to Vevendi by Havas, things at Sierra are . . . unpredicatble.
    Until I get certain rights back, I will not be finishing the Krondor
    series.

When I do, it will almost certainly be some kind of "stand alone" book
    that comprises both characters of the Crawler and the Dark Mage.

Best, R.E.F.
    Trojan wrote: »
    I know Feist can be amazing but I'll need to give it some time before I can face Empire or Conclave :(
    Don't give up! The Empire series is great - very different, with the Eastern feel to the Tsurani kingdom. Also it's a co-written effort, which gives a different writing style. Mara's a very interesting character.

Conclave of Shadows is quite enjoyable too. It's certainly above the Krondor series, which is the nadir of the Midkemian series.

Hey OwaynOTT. I'd consider some of the stuff you named to be a bit blah myself. Tim Powers is a great author. Get The Anubis Gate. You won't be disappointed. Scott Lynch is good also, and China Mieville was mentioned as well. I'd suggest George R. R. Martin and Robin Hobb too.

But what a letdown. I gave the first one leeway because it was based on the game and was slightly forced along a linear path. The next two are rushed: the plot and characterisation was unpolished, like the cheap work of a young apprentice let loose at his master's forge.

Feist let himself down alright, I only bothered with the Betrayal one and left it at that... I think he got other people to write that whole series.

Seriously the Empire Series are actually the best of the lot... the story is fantastic, the world in depth, it ties in with the riftwar books nicely, actually gonna to re-read this series soon as just thinking of them is bringing back fond memories.... the politics etc is all brilliant!

Try the Robin Hobb stuff, I started with the Liveship Traders series and now went back and am on the third book of her first series the "Farseer Trilogy" and they are bleedin brilliant... Looking forward to tearing in to her other series.

Anyone who hasnt read George R.R Martins Song of Fire and Ice series is missing out big time, top tip is there is a HBO made series being released in the next 2 months based on these books and Sean Bean is one of the main actors.... Its gonna be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Finished Hamilton's Void Trilogy great read, thoroughly enjoyed, if a little disappointed by the ending.

Just starting American Gods, seems to be a cracking read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Just finished The Riftwar Legacy series, or at least the ones written.

I was looking forward to this because I'm finally getting to some of the Feist series that I hadn't read (the others are Daughter of Empire and Conclave series).

It had huge potential because there's a big gap in there between Sethanon and King's Buccaneer and James & William were great characters to work with.

If you haven't read The Riftwar Legacy yet, stay away at all costs.

The Daughtor of the Emprire Trilogy is way better in standard than the muck that Feist has produced lately. I rate them behind the Magician book, the other Riftwar Trilogy books I thought were very weak.

I started to read Janny Wurts after trying out the Daughtor Trilogy. Her Wars of Light and Shadow are really good. My only gripe is that its another series that I await the ending of in the future. It gets head wrecking to reread Jordan. Martin, Wurts and Erikson to keep the plot fresh in my mind for the next release.

I recommend reading Ian Cameron Esslemont Night of Knives and The Return of the Crimson Guard for any fans of Erikson Malazan World. I found him easier to read than Erikson and it gives you more background on some of the key charactors. Night of Knives is a good assassin book if you do some background reading on the Malazin Wiki site if you haven't read the Erikson books.

• Advertisement

pH wrote: »
    Finished Hamilton's Void Trilogy great read, thoroughly enjoyed, if a little disappointed by the ending.

How did you find them compared to the reality dysfunction series?

Advertisement