Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Greystones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

I think Ann Mc Donald worked there also. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

bido wrote: »
    I think Ann Mc Donald worked there also. :D

Thats correct, she did indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Pixbyjohn you will undoubtedly be able to resolve a dispute that I was involved in last night. Was there a chipper on the site of where Gerry Sandford had is photography shop (now closed) beside Parkinsons?

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Pixbyjohn you will undoubtedly be able to resolve a dispute that I was involved in last night. Was there a chipper on the site of where Gerry Sandford had is photography shop (now closed) beside Parkinsons?

Yes there was, and a guy called Georgie Mc Cormick from Bray worked there for a while. I remember the couple who had the shop leased but can't remember their names. It was a very popular chipper and a long time before that it was a cake shop and Philomena Quinn from Grattan Park worked in it. Philomena would be better remembered as Tina who sang with the Mexican showband.
    As far as I know Parkinsons own the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 videos

What an amazing thread...

Greystones ended just around the bend on Bellevue Road, Bellvue Park was the pigfield. Previously mentioned house Tyross was the last house..
    Then the new road was built through the cornfield, with H'vue and H'side following..every biker in town did the ton on the new road ?!
    Picking spuds in the summer where Charlesland is now.£1 for a 4 stone bag, back breaking.
    La Touche shop - lemon bonbons anyone ? Now recreated across the road - not.
    Mrs Robbies plays in the old St Patricks hall beside St Davids- i remember being a mouse in 1974/5, aged 7 and thinking I would end up on Broadway.
    Didn't Martin O'Donoghues place burn down one night ? then rebuilt with Leo beside it, before then becomning Permo..?
    Paddy Murphys newsagent on the main street - still see his sons around the town today, their father was a gent.
    Cycling up to Belleuvue Woods on the wrong side of the N11 long before it was dual carraigeway.
    The Ormonde when there was an upstairs - i can still see the pale green tiled stairs ( hospital issue?!)
    The great snows, when the town was cut off and there was no bread or milk - and no school for those of us who went to Pres. ( first hint of a cloud in the sky;"Sir,Sir, I have to leave NOW or else I'll be stranded...)
    Robbing orchards everywhere ( Stanley Doyles was easily the best)
    Bels when it was a drapers, not a restaurant.
    Peter Ryan for bike repairs or fish bait indeed....
    Defender in Soundz...
    The year the Esso 1st opened up on Christmas Day ? As Fr Ted would say, Down With This Sort of Thing !!!! People went up and bought stuff, just to say they did ...:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 campbellu

John
    Just read through this wonderful thread (quickly), did anyone post the team, you may guess from my name my connection and I have some great photos from the "days". Including the ladies! Orchard Inn soccer team, now see how good your memories are ? Or will I have to go and dig out all those photos for a retrospective ? The "village" is well represented by you on this forum. We now live in the new houses in the gardens of "Castlefield Tce".

Hi U,
    Get those photos scanned and post them up here. Yes I can name a lot on the Orchard Utd. team but was hoping someone else would contribute. I remember you playing too. Greystones was and still is a great little village.
    Go on get those photos posted up here. Was G on the Jubilee Cup winning team ;) ?
    Do you remember all the mad lads on the bikes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 campbellu

John
    Garry was certainly on the team. We got married in 1978 too. I remember the celebrations well or NOT as they would say now! Jimmy Murphy lead the team from pub to pub, as you did then. I am not great with a scanner or posting photos in correct format but will look into it. I have a great group photo taken in the Orchard around that era ? it was given to me by Gillian McDonald and we can name everyone in it. There aren't many from that team reading internet forums I'd guess!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/emailPhoto?uname=unadara&iid=5686855162818535074&continue=https%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2F109538960836739831093%2FBoardsIe%235686855162818535074&aid=5686854469155137649

Would love to see those photos. Maybe get together after Christmas and I can scan them for you if you wish.

6523062023_7022ab637e_z.jpg
    Orchard Utd.1 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Angolan

campbellu wrote: »
    John
    Garry was certainly on the team. We got married in 1978 too. I remember the celebrations well or NOT as they would say now! Jimmy Murphy lead the team from pub to pub, as you did then. I am not great with a scanner or posting photos in correct format but will look into it. I have a great group photo taken in the Orchard around that era ? it was given to me by Gillian McDonald and we can name everyone in it. There aren't many from that team reading internet forums I'd guess!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/emailPhoto?uname=unadara&iid=5686855162818535074&continue=https%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2F109538960836739831093%2FBoardsIe%235686855162818535074&aid=5686854469155137649

He'll go nuts when I tell him about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    6523062023_7022ab637e_z.jpg
    Orchard Utd.1 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

Jaysus! Some people are getting old!

Well done U

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭eigrod

Snowfall Delgany Village 1982 (watch it within Youtube for some text giving the names of some of those in the clip)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

That's a super shot of him John.

What a character he was. I remember sailing up to Dun Laoghaire with him many years ago. After a few pints in the DMYC we headed back to Greystones. Unfortunatley the wind had died away and the engine cut out at the mouth of the harbour. Jimmy being Jimmy wouldn't be beaten by anything and so we sailed very slowly back. Even when it seemed like we were going to drift onto rocks at Bray head he still wouldn't heed my suggestion to get a tow from a passing fishing boat. We then had to anchor up and wait 4 hours for the tide to come back in so we could moor in the harbour. I took the punt in to call the wife from the Beach house and tell her I wouldn't be home till late that night. She heard the glasses clinking in the background and wouldn't believe me that I wasn't on the lash. Anyway I rowed back out and we sat and talked.

I felt very privaleged to have spent a day with him on the Scarba. He had stories that would curl your toes including being torpedoed twice in the war and living to tell the tale.

A true character, a real gent with a sparkle in his eye and a lightening quick wit.

RIP Jimmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 doylerd

Dis anyone have any encounters with Gene Wilder when he was living in Greystones? I think it was 1969/1970 when he was there

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Greystoned

1093439_3ae6fa86.jpg

Not sure if somebody already posted these - definitely a memory from 80s Greystones.

Another one here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jncarter1962/6630067385/in/set-72157628703749813/

Looking back it was a quaint old thing and I enjoyed taking it. There was something a bit soulless about the Dart trains compared to our shuttle. However, I might be victim of seeing the past through rose-coloured glasses. Here's some info about how people regarded the shuttle at the time:

http://irishrailways.blogspot.fr/2009/08/greystones-shuttle-25.html

The Northern Ireland Rail "new shuttle" was a much neater job:

2781126_7dc8cca3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I remember the shuttle well. We loved it. We didn't know any better and quite often we had a whole carriage to ourselves to lark about in.

One of the best things was getting the carriage at the front and looking through a gap in the blind of the cabin the driver was in. The light from the train danced on the drops of water falling in the tunnels. Looked cool. Like drops of fire falling.

Also, jumping out while it was still moving coming in to a station. Boy, you had to be running at some pace as you hit the ground otherwise it was sore knees and hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

FirstIn wrote: »
    I remember the shuttle well. We loved it. We didn't know any better and quite often we had a whole carriage to ourselves to lark about in.

One of the best things was getting the carriage at the front and looking through a gap in the blind of the cabin the driver was in. The light from the train danced on the drops of water falling in the tunnels. Looked cool. Like drops of fire falling.

Also, jumping out while it was still moving coming in to a station. Boy, you had to be running at some pace as you hit the ground otherwise it was sore knees and hands.

Everything you just said!!
    It seems jumping out of trains was a common past-time in Greystones!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Those photos just missed the old circular urinal that was open to the air. Pretty weird as a young child having to use that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Greystoned

It's amazing how broke Ireland was then... couldn't afford one railcar for Greystones to Bray – seems almost hard to believe now with the new flashy trains and motorways …

Another memory from the 80s: every second streetlight was turned off for a while. Does anyone remember that or am I dreaming? As if Greystones was even that well lighted up in the first place! It didn’t last all that long – I wonder if they didn’t end up spending more money disconnecting and then reconnecting the turned-off lights that they would have spent on the electricity needed to run them.

I think it was around mid- to late 80s.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Does anyone have any photos of the Main st of the Fish Factory & the Shopping Basket?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 walkyouhome

Thanks for that pic

• Registered Users Posts: 5 walkyouhome

Sitting Back

On musty dark material puffing dust with
    compartment doors that both slid and jammed,
    we willed the lights to work while tunnels mouthed “n-n-n”.
    Oh the express had legroom, bookroom, snuggleroom
    - somehow we survived pre text or mobile phone.
    Weep not for the orange plastic eighties
    buckethard seats showing our backs the best views,
    now cheerful tiers in a Longford ballet school.
    Then the metallic glide and hiss of dart so green
    time tabled yet tables gone.
    A voice says seats are not for feet,
    CC TV, lights always on.
    Yet, just last week on a five mile stretch:
    seal, goat, puffin, porpoise, swan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Banser

GEORGEWEB wrote: »
    • Classic memories from the great town..
    • Tony Ward playing for Greystones in the late 80's...nick popplewell in the 90's
    • In the early 90's Huge crowds at All-Ireland league matches on a Saturday at Dr Hickey Park with highlights on Sports Stadium at 5 oclock that evening from an RTE camera on a dodgy shakey stand outside the clubhouse!!!!
    • I think that man who owned video world was Paddy Murphy (not of the pipe smoking, newspaper selling fame from the main st but another absolute gentleman), he also owned the video world shop in Foxrock. Does anyone remember the mens clothes shop located where Brereton carpets are now...circa 1986-1987 called "Masculine"
    • the burnaby 'bar' with only one (male) toilet for a (very) quiet pint...Martin Donoghues shop across the road
    Johnnie Robbie also played rugby for Ireland he lived on main street opp la touché shop ( mick reillys)

ashmac wrote: »
    hi
    am remembering most of the things you talk about. as far back as pet shop being scuffles, where we bought rubber rings for the hoover.
    anyway, does anyone know about a murder that happened in one of the houses over either IRetons (SP?) or Natures Gold?:eek:

Yes , there was a lady murdered in the apartment over Natures Gold. It was a tragic incident and maybe too sensitive still for some residents.
    Mrs meldon was the lady that was murdered nobody was ever charged over it the guards knew who did it but couldn't prove it

Does anyone remember playing poker in the snooker room that was part of Saint Killians Hall ? There was a Bagatelle and full size snooker table there. The caretaker was Mr. Ned Earles and he always had a roaring fire going.
    Also the Thrift club on a Sunday Morning in St. Killians, a savings club.
    Now does everyone that knew The Shopping Basket remember who were the first owners. The Moore family were the first, Moore's supermarket.
    Before moores supermarket the big old house was knocked down I think Londis opened the first supermarket (maybe moores had franchise) remember Santa arriving by helicopter to open supermarket can't remember the name of people that owned the shopping basket the sons name was Alan he drove a 2.8 Capri and was a complete tosser.

Does anyone remember playing poker in the snooker room that was part of Saint Killians Hall ? There was a Bagatelle and full size snooker table there. The caretaker was Mr. Ned Earles and he always had a roaring fire going.
    Also the Thrift club on a Sunday Morning in St. Killians, a savings club.
    Now does everyone that knew The Shopping Basket remember who were the first owners. The Moore family were the first, Moore's supermarket.
    Before moores supermarket the big old house was knocked down I think Londis opened the first supermarket (maybe moores had franchise) remember Santa arriving by helicopter to open supermarket can't remember the name of people that owned the shopping basket the sons name was Alan he drove a 2.8 Capri and was a complete tosser.

Who remembers the siren on Charlie Evans' garage (now Davis Bros ) in Greystones, it used to be heard all over Greystones to signal the firemen to the station. There was also a bell in every fireman's house that rang at the same time.
    Yes remember the siren on Evans garage mrs gunning used to sound the alarm when she got the call for the fire brigade, it sounded like an old air raid siren and could be heard in bray, then the firemen would meet at the garage next to gunnings house on la touché close and take out the old fire engine a red land rover with a green canvas back

• Advertisement

Photo taken outside of Holy Rosary Church, Greystones in the mid 1950s.
    Do you recognise any of these guys in their St. Kevins blazers ?
    Can you shed any light as to who they are yourself?

Advertisement