Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living off the grid...

• 05-05-2011 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Spore

Anyone know anyone that's gone completely 'off the grid'? Ever done it personally? (obviously if you post on boards the military-industrial complex has got you back, man)

Thinking of going off the grid for various reasons, prime amoung them being that I pissed off a lot of people lately, life-trolling y'all, and need to get the hell away from here and cover me tracks while I'm at it.

Anyone any advice of how to be a big hippy gay-lord how to live an old-fashioned analogue existence, preferably in the woods somewhere...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Move to leitrim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Live on a boat. I did it for a whole weekend. Some craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

1. Get massive loan form the bank
    2. Buy boat
    3. Acquire good quality hooker
    4. Bring boat to mysterious location nobody has ever heard of
    5. ?????
    6. PROFIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Say hello to the BADGER!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

A friend of mine knows a hippy lad who lives alone completely self-sufficiently. Tends and eats his own crops, has a little well dug (bit dubious about that part as crusties are pretty averse to water), grows weed like it's nobody's business and even makes his own DMT!

Happy as a pig in ****e by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Should give this a watch OP.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭KungPao

I'd love to do it.

I'd like to live like that old dude in Red Dead Redemption, who you collect the flowers for.

Just me and the missus in a hut, in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'd love to do it. Live in space or something. I'd grow my own Vegg. Kill Spring lambs for food and clothes. Fish the sea. Make my own beer.
    Get the bird pregnant for the sake of expanding the business.
    A man can dream, much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

I remember there was some fella in Ireland who wrote a book about living in nature or something, he used to get up in the morning to chop his firewood, bathed in the local rivers and lived in a caravan, no electricity water or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Try Tipperary, they are not expecting analog for another 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

my original plan as a child was when i'd retire i'd move to one of the more remote parts of america, that was covered in a forest, with a lake, where i could build a cabin log and live out my days fishing and hunting...

an encounter with the neighbours daughter a few years later made me wonder what the hell was i thinking back then! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Well you dont need to be isolated to go "off grid", Obviously you wanna get out of developed places, somewhere like one of the larger favelas in brazil are crowded and dont have cencus information. Next thing is obvious but no net , utility service, telephone etc.

You'll need money so a job is a must unless the reason your going off grid also netted you a nice nest egg (again thats a whole other issue as anyone will watch movement of the money to find you). Make sure the job is cash in hand, no union and short term. If you can then prostitution is a good source of revenue) Keep changing jobs but be smart, dont get notoriety.

Keep in mind, nothing familiar... the more you try keep close the more they have to use against you and find you. Keep your head down and keep moving.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Read the book on Christopher McCandless or watch the Sean Penn film Into the Wild.

Moral of the story is unless you're smart you could end up in trouble or dead, and you have to decide if that freedom is worth an early grave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭g_moriarty

You should move to <Insert Non-Dublin County> !

Haha! Chortle! Guffaw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i see there is a free gaff going in a place called abbottabad in Pakistan.
    The previous occupant had tried the living in caves thing but it wasnt great so preferred this place.

Although you gotta beware of low flying helicopters at night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The ones who film and blog about it and get tv shows about themselves are obviously tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

mink_man wrote: »
    I remember there was some fella in Ireland who wrote a book about living in nature or something, he used to get up in the morning to chop his firewood, bathed in the local rivers and lived in a caravan, no electricity water or anything.
    Must of been from Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Spore

Right, I've quit my job and just got my train ticket otta' here. Gonna give it a try, see how long I last before I crack...

I'll ease myself into it, get a small apartment some place. Get rid of the phone first. Close all my internet accounts. Get myself site-wide banned from boards.ie. Take out all my savings in cash. Cut up credit cards / laser cards. Get a cash-in-hand job (though savings should see me through a few months). I'll keep a diary for when I do crack and end up posting all on boards.ie...

So boards, cheerio, take care. It's been swell!

Can I have your stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Ive always lived the idea of living off the grid, lived in a tent before for a few months and loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Buceph wrote: »
    Read the book on Christopher McCandless or watch the Sean Penn film Into the Wild.

Moral of the story is unless you're smart you could end up in trouble or dead, and you have to decide if that freedom is worth an early grave.

McCandless imo never experienced true freedom, he was running from his past. True freedom would be very hard to find when a person has their memories.

I believe that an early grave would be a decent compromise to totally feel true freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd love to try it but I can't because I can't stand stupid f**king american phrases like "off the grid"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Spore wrote: »
    Anyone know anyone that's gone completely 'off the grid'? Ever done it personally? (obviously if you post on boards the military-industrial complex has got you back, man)

Thinking of going off the grid for various reasons, prime amoung them being that I pissed off a lot of people lately, life-trolling y'all, and need to get the hell away from here and cover me tracks while I'm at it.

Anyone any advice of how to be a big hippy gay-lord how to live an old-fashioned analogue existence, preferably in the woods somewhere...

Off the rails perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Wait, wait, what did you do that was so bad to piss everyone off OP?

Kasabian wrote: »
    McCandless imo never experienced true freedom, he was running from his past. True freedom would be very hard to find when a person has their memories.

I believe that an early grave would be a decent compromise to totally feel true freedom.

I never said he had true freedom. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Always wanted to but never tried it. Solar panels, wind turbine, ****load of batteries and a daysul generator for the rainy days. preferably on a very remote island. some day when i have the money I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

A friend of mine lived on a beach in the south pacific for about 6 weeks.

Slept on the beach at night and caught enough fish to feed himself every day. He made friends with the locals though so didn't really go for the seclusion.

Wouldn't be so nice when the typhoons hit though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We don't have a grid in Ireland, just throw away your debit card and grow a beard, job done.

Advertisement