Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

• 12-03-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Just saw this press release:

GREEN LIGHT FOR BANDON ROAD & SARSFIELD ROAD FLYOVERS A MAJOR BOOST FOR CORK - MCGRATH

12th March 2010.

Cork South Central T.D. Michael McGrath has warmly welcomed the news that the NRA has given its approval for the planned interchanges at the Bandon road and Sarsfield road roundabouts to move to tender stage.

"The NRA has given its approval for the tender process to proceed for these two strategically important interchanges on the N25 South Ring Road network. I understand the plan is to have contracts in place later this year, with construction on the interchanges starting next year. This is tremendous news for Cork City and County.

"The completion of the Kinsale road interchange in 2006 had a hugely positive impact on the South Ring road network. The real benefits of that investment, however, were never going to be realised until the interchanges at the Bandon road and Sarsfield road roundabouts were developed aswell.

"Once these new interchanges are completed, the South Ring Road will be a critical piece of infrastructure and will be an important asset for the region. I have no doubt but that the investment in these interchanges will pay a rich economic dividend for Cork in the years ahead. The interchanges will also make daily life so much easier for thousands of Cork commuters.

"I very much look forward to seeing progress on the development of these two key interchanges in the period ahead. I wish to compliment Minister Noel Dempsey and the NRA for supporting this critical project for Cork," concluded Deputy McGrath.

ENDS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Good if it happens. Let's wait and see. For some strange reason, I don't trust statements made by politicians...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This came out of nowhere and I really think it needs to happen. This is one scheme that has been senselessly ignored for years.

God knows where the money is coming from as this isnt a PPP as far as I know, and since there was no money (at all) available for starting publicly funded schemes in 2010 and probably 2011 I'd be dubious about this until I see tender notices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

How much, roughly, would each scheme cost? I wonder if they'll both be done simultaneously as one contract...

Yeah they'll be as one, its bigger than most people think as it includes an upgrade of the DC inbetween and the addition of C/D lanes.

http://www.corkrdo.ie/files/N25%20SOUTH%20RING%20ROAD.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Is there much traffic going south on the Sarsfield Road? The mainline offramp heading west looks to be fairly short on Google Maps, could traffic still be backed up on the mainline? Maybe another slip should be added like in the attached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Just saw this press release:

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Reenascreena

Source?

Michael McGrath!!!! in my inbox

I've emailed the NRA asking them to provide some more information. While it's brilliant that this seems to be going ahead, it's just possible that the problems at the approach to the Jack Lynch Tunnel will worsen at peak times. In my email I've also asked them when they intend to make known their plans for Dunkettle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Although i cannot find this on their website, it was reported in de paper yesterday so it must be true!:p

However i reckon they got the info from the same source as the OP, and McGrath has already established himself as a classic bluffer. Remember this was the man who promised that the Cork airport debt would be eliminated on his watch. So i'll believe it when i see it.
    wellbutty wrote: »
    Is there much traffic going south on the Sarsfield Road? The mainline offramp heading west looks to be fairly short on Google Maps, could traffic still be backed up on the mainline? Maybe another slip should be added like in the attached

Not particularly, going south takes you up into the suburban hell of Eagle Valley & Togher housing estates. It currently backs up going onto the link at peak times alright but nothing too major.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

Yeah they'll be as one, its bigger than most people think as it includes an upgrade of the DC inbetween and the addition of C/D lanes.

http://www.corkrdo.ie/files/N25%20SOUTH%20RING%20ROAD.pdf

Do you notice that the document went for publication consultation in 2002?
    Will it be 10 years after public consultation before work starts on the ground?
    I hope this project moves ahead quickly...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

This is great news and I hope it happens quick.
    Furet wrote: »
    I've also asked them when they intend to make known their plans for Dunkettle.

God knows how they'll solve that one.

Received this reply:
    Thank you for your email.

The Authority has recently requested Cork County Council to progress
    with the preparation of tender documentation for the Bandon and
    Sarsfield Road Interchanges with a view to awarding the contract early
    next year, subject to the availability of funding. Currently, it is
    intended to let one contract for both interchanges.

The Authority is currently tendering for design consultants to develop a
    design solution for the Dunkettle Interchange and prepare EIS and
    associated documentation, however, there is no date yet as to when a
    final solution for this area will be available for public display.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Is there no end to the NRA half doing jobs first day and then having to redesign/rebuild within a few years.
    Examples of this include, M50 Tallagh to Sandyford opened mid noughties and since upgraded from two to three lanes, Kinsale Road roundabout, various M'ways without rest/service areas, Newlands Cross redesigned in mid nineties and now due for redesign again, Sarsfields and Bandon road roundabouts, the list could go on.
    How is such incompetence allowed to exist not to mind the huge waste of money and added disruption such fiascos cause. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Is there no end to the NRA half doing jobs first day and then having to redesign/rebuild within a few years.
    Examples of this include, M50 Tallagh to Sandyford opened mid noughties and since upgraded from two to three lanes, Kinsale Road roundabout, various M'ways without rest/service areas, Newlands Cross redesigned in mid nineties and now due for redesign again, Sarsfields and Bandon road roundabouts, the list could go on.
    How is such incompetence allowed to exist not to mind the huge waste of money and added disruption such fiascos cause. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Agree with all this and will add one further - how could they upgrade the Kinsale Road roundabout and leave the Sarsfields and Bandon road roundabouts as they are?

(And yes, I know, answer is probably funding - but still ...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I wonder what funding model will be used?

Will it be next year's "Castleisland", the small(ish) scheme which just about manages to get through using direct exchequer funding?

I hope so; but this was way more important than Castleisland anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

i remember the same promises made about the south ring interchanges before the last election....also promises about cork airport debt..michael macgrath is a yes man ..he would promise you the moon and the stars..

Bit more on this, text of a letter sent by M. Martin to constituent (not me):

March 2010

Dear ****

Re: N25 Cork Southern Ring Road Improvements (Bandon Road & Sarsfield Road Interchanges)

I am delighted to inform you that the Minister for Transport, Noel Dempsey TD has announced that the NRA has approved works to take place at the Bandon Road Roundabout and the Sarsfield Road Roundabout interchanges in a bid to alleviate the gridlock faced daily by city commuters

This news will result in immediate commencement of the tender process for the design and construction of the N25 Cork Ring Road Improvements. The NRA has confirmed that it plans to award contracts in the coming months for these major works. It is expected that the funding for the projects will be made available for the design phase, with work to start shortly afterwards. The NRA anticipates that the bulk of construction is due to be carried out in 2011.

I have worked on an ongoing basis on securing further progress on this project the delay of which I accept has been particularly frustrating for all concerned. This news will be greatly welcomed by those affected by the daily traffic congestion and is great news for the city.

These interchange upgrades will help to relieve the gridlock faced by people driving into and out of the city, and I believe will result in long-term benefits for commuters and businesses on the Southside. This project will also create many jobs during the construction phase.

I will continue to pursue these issues, and keep you informed of developments as they occur. Should you wish to discuss this or any other matter with me, please do not hesitate to contact my office on 021 4320088

Yours

Micheal Martin T.D. Minister for Foreign Affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

These junctions were originally supposed to have been built by GAMA when they finished the Ballincollig Bypass at a cost of an extra €80 million if I remember correctly. GAMA even completed some of the preparatory work by putting in place pilings and footings around both junctions.

The plug was pulled for the same reason as the Magic Roundabout which was designed to be a grade separated interchange initially - Cork got too much funding relative to the rest of the country...

I presume they may now go ahead because:
    1) the costs will be considerably less
    2) the AA mentions them first thing in the mornings as the traffic is a disaster, although come the school holidays this will change
    3) there are two local FF TDs pushing hard to bring home the bacon come the next General Election

Perssonally, I wouldn't bet on it happening any time soon, it's just a stunt to get re-elected

PRESS RELEASE
    22nd March 2010
    Cork Chamber welcomes progress on N25 Flyovers
    Cork Chamber has today welcomed the recent announcement that the NRA has given permission to Cork City and Cork County Councils to prepare tender documents for the Sarsfield Road and Bandon Road flyovers; and seeks a commitment from Government to fund the works once the tender documents are ready.

According to Mr. Kevin Murray, Chairman of the Chamber’s Transport & Infrastructure Committee, “The Chamber has been consistently calling for the construction of these critical interchanges for a number of years and is now delighted that we are a step closer to the elimination of two major traffic bottlenecks on the South Ring Road. The construction of the flyovers will allow traffic flow smoothly from the west of Ballincollig through to the Jack Lynch Tunnel, to the benefit of business in and around Cork City and County”.

“The Chamber takes this opportunity to remind Government that prompt investment in infrastructure is money well spent; and avoids far more expensive remedial work in the future. Accordingly, the Chamber urges the Government to finance a plan to deliver a comprehensive strategic road network around Cork, including the necessary upgrades to the Dunkettle Interchange, the Northern Ring Road, and the N28 Cork to Ringaskiddy Road. While each piece of the jigsaw is welcomed; our international competitiveness demands that we do not rest until all of these schemes are delivered”, Mr. Murray stated.
    Ends

• Advertisement

Ah ****.

Read it carefully.
    Cork Chamber has today welcomed the recent announcement that the NRA has given permission to Cork City and Cork County Councils to prepare tender documents for the Sarsfield Road and Bandon Road flyovers; and seeks a commitment from Government to fund the works once the tender documents are ready.

The NRA have said "make the documents" but my reading of this is that the government havent promised a single penny for this. Translation: No money is available for this and I bet it will not be started next year as planned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sure Midleton has been announced 3 times in the past 4 or 5 years and that was canned every time, it was announced again this year by Dempsey. Remember that not one single road going to CPO in 2007 is being/been constructed.

Dempsey announces them and cancels them and announces them again hoping dat de people don't notice.

Here are the 2007 CPOs

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/8708-0.doc

Appendix 4 Projects Proceeding to CPO / EIS during 2007

Route Region Scheme Road Type Length Km

N4 BMW Carrick on Shannon Bypass 2+1 Carriageway 6
    N5 BMW Longford Bypass Single Carriageway 2.6
    N7 S&E Newlands Cross Interchange
    N11 S&E Enniscorthy Bypass Dual Carriageway 20
    N15 BMW Ballybofey / Stranorlar Bypass Dual Carriageway 16
    N17 BMW Galway / Tuam Dual Carriageway 22
    N22 S&E Tralee Bypass / Tralee / Bealagrellagh Single Carriageway 11
    N22 S&E Ballyvourney to Macroom Single Carriageway 42
    N25 S&E New Ross Bypass Dual Carriageway 16
    N25 S&E Carrigtwohill to Middleton Dual Carriageway 4.5
    N26 BMW Ballina / Bohola Phase 2 Single Carriageway 18
    N56 BMW Mountcharles to Inver Single Carriageway 4.9
    N87 BMW Ballyconnell Inner Relief Road Single Carriageway 1.2

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

At least two of those schemes never got planning permission in the first place, at all (N15 and N26)

How many of the CPOs have been executed? Longford is fenced off I think, Newlands also done, but no idea about any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

This is going to put untold pressure on the tunnel going eastwards on the SRR.

At the moment the traffic can backup to the Kinsale Roundabout. Could well go past this now with traffic eased up at the previous two junctions.

Dunkettle Interchange now badly needs funding and nothing short of complete freelow there will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

At the moment the traffic can backup to the Kinsale Roundabout. Could well go past this now with traffic eased up at the previous two junctions.

Dunkettle Interchange now badly needs funding and nothing short of complete freelow there will do.
    This exact thing happened here in Munich a couple of months ago when they TUNNELED a few km stretch to make the ring road freeflow.
    Shaggin yoke costed 450 million and only caused a traffic jam further up the road, and thats at a place that DIDNT have a jam before.
    (for traffic trying to cross the ring road it was a blessing to be fair, and in the munich case that was as much the point of the project as the ring road as one of the main motorways began just at the ring road)

Dunkettle will be a masacre I fear, and it already is a source of congestion.
    The majority of snarled up traffic on that ring road in Cork is at peak time, everyone heading for work at 8 to 9 (and clocking off at the same time in the evening).
    The roundabouts stagger the traffic hitting Dunkettle from arriving all at once. IF anything they reduce problems at Dunkettle.
    Remove this stagger effect and you'll just end up with more traffic arriving quicker at Dunkettle and the mother of all jams!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 quitepossibly

Doing the SRR flyovers without any thought of modification to Dunkettle is going to be a disaster. The roundabouts are funneling traffic heading east at the mo. Without upgrade to dunkettle we'll see tailbacks west beyond Bishopstown when the flyovers are complete. There'll be knock on problems for South Link road, Airport road, Wilton and Bishopstown much in the same way as there are problems at Douglas, Bloomfield and Mahon heading east in the evenings.

Obviously heading west from the tunnel will be a dream when they're done! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ye can all wait till Galway City is sorted somewhat :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ill believe it when I see people working on this. This work is a no brainer IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭cork_south

I go from Midleton to Ovens west all along the SRR from the tunnel in the morning and have had to pass through these 2 f*cking roundabouts the last 5 years 2 times a day.
    Grrrrrrr.

I don't care that Dunkettle will be more congested, at least going West will be a dream.

The best thing to do with Dunkettle is knock it down and start again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

cork_south wrote: »
    The best thing to do with Dunkettle is knock it down and start again.

Ya, think Red Cow, M50, Kinsale Rd Roundabout, Newlands Cross, Port Tunnel, M'ways without rest/service areas, and more. Why can't the NRA, Dep's. of Transport/Enviornment get it right first day, it's not like this kind of stuff has not been done successfully years ago elsewhere in Europe, What kind of insular fools are populating those agencies/departments.:mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement