Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I never thought I would see the day....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

5500 euro is a lot of peddleing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

father-ted-careful-now-001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Think of the money saved as opposed to buying a motorbike or using a car... With petrol/taxes etc this would pay for itself over the months..

That's what its aimed at being, a replacement for a car/motorcycle..

Though not sure it will be legal here without tax and insurance as it can go 45kph...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

"Key features of the new bike include a 250 watt rear hub motor"

Fortunately I have one of those in my legs, as does everyone else who can be bothered to use them properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

€5500....think of the pushbike you could get for that! A 40km round trip isn't much once you get fitter...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

That would add a significant amount of minutes to my commute.....

Lumen wrote: »

Fortunately I have one of those in my legs, as does everyone else who can be bothered to use them properly.

Missing the point, this bike is to get the people who don't have motors in there legs get away from using motor cars/bikes and onto the road..

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Missing the point, this bike is to get the people who don't have motors in there legs get away from using motor cars/bikes and onto the road..

And you're missing my point, which is that EVERYONE has motors in their legs, which we call "muscles". We come that way out of the box. You can even use them off-road and going up stairs.

But you can buy a moped which will do another 5 km/h for a fifth of the price :)

seamus wrote: »
    But you can buy a moped which will do another 5 km/h for a fifth of the price :)

Until you add petrol/taxes and extra maintenance on top of that..

You will still need a licence, insurance and tax to run this thing though :)

I also suspect that overall maintenance costs on a top-spec bike doing constant speed of 45km/h will actually work out more than the maintenance on a low-spec 50km/h hairdryer. :)

And you're missing my point, which is that EVERYONE has motors in their legs, which we call "muscles". We come that way out of the box. You can even use them off-road and going up stairs.

Thanks for the anatomy lesson...

As for the bike, its a great idea for your average Joe commuting to work!

You will still need a licence, insurance and tax to run this thing though :)

Q. Do I need a driving license, insurance or road tax?

A. No, you don’t. According to Irish and European law, electric bikes that use the pedal assist method are classified as bicycles, not mechanically propelled vehicles. There is no need for the extra expense associated with other forms of road transport. There are also no NCT requirements either.

Though the problem is that this bike is illegal in the EU... apart from Germany..

Thanks for the anatomy lesson...

As for the bike, its a great idea for your average Joe commuting to work!

Apart from the fact that it costs five and a half thousand euros, has no mudguards or panniers, and can be stolen as easily as any other bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I was on holiday last year and in some of those massive supermarkets in France I seen electric bikes from less than a grand, so it must be some beast for 5.5k

shop around if it is an electric bike you want, they are difinately to be got much cheaper

Q. Do I need a driving license, insurance or road tax?

A. No, you don’t. According to Irish and European law, electric bikes that use the pedal assist method are classified as bicycles, not mechanically propelled vehicles. There is no need for the extra expense associated with other forms of road transport. There are also no NCT requirements either.

Though the problem is that this bike is illegal in the EU... apart from Germany..
    If the motor propels or assists the vehicle above 25km/h, it is automatically a moped and requires motor tax, a class M licence and insurance.

Apart from the fact that it costs five and a half thousand euros, has no mudguards or panniers, and can be stolen as easily as any other bicycle.

The perfect accessory to the 12-D Merc or Range Rover owner who wants to nip down to the office or city apartment...

If the motor propels or assists the vehicle above 25km/h, it is automatically a moped and requires motor tax, a class M licence and insurance.

Yup, thats what I said...illegal... The law's an a$$...

The bike itself is perfectly road legal. :)

You just need a licence, tax & insurance to ride it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

The bike itself is perfectly road legal. :)

You just need a licence, tax & insurance to ride it.

And a motorcycle helmet? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Nice of you to volunteer...
    COLLECTIE_TROPENMUSEUM_Rikshaw_voortgetrokken_door_een_chinese_man_Medan_TMnr_10013835.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

No way, you need one of these

eh-line-street-racer-8.jpg

smiley-sick006.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Motor, triple and a MTB cassette. You could ride it up the gable end of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Yes but pushing 250W starts to hurt after a while. Also 250W won't give your 45kph on a flat bar bike so I imagine it needs a good bit of assistance for the claimed top speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

BC-106-ArmyGreen-when-done-with-80cc-engine.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

kenmc wrote: »
    No way, you need one of these

eh-line-street-racer-8.jpg

smiley-sick006.gif

Like a friggin' time machine back to the '80's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I got the Rose catalogue 2012 today. It has 14 electric bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

there's a guy in america that done coast to coast on his electric bike;)
    its a great idea money is only used to buy buy things and whats more it's your money so buddy if you want to buy one then fair play to ya go for it.;)