Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone have an unmetered connection for purposes of an electric fence?

• 20-05-2013 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

Full of questions lately :)

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/business-customers/unmetered_connections/single_unmetered.jsp

I have no electric on site but wish to put in an electric fence in the future. Does anyone here have an "unmetered connection" for powering an electric fence?

Boundary is 1,250 meters, and I will start with three wires but may wish to move up to five if three is insufficient. I figure a mains energiser is the best option here?

Did it cost you much to get all the paper work and installation done? How does the physical connection happen, do you need a building or will they do an outdoor connection near a pole, never seen it done so sorry if that's a sily question.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭mf240

Ya you used to be able any way it costs about 15 euro a year and no meter. Your electrician sets it up and the the esb connect it.

A Steel box about 2 by 4 with a lockable front door mounted on a sleeper is what we have. Can't remember the initial cost as it's years ago.

Solar is the way to go now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Red Sheds

I think the best thing might be to ring the ESB and ask them. I wanted to do the same thing about 2 years ago and phoned ESB. They told me it would be a new connection and would cost about €1,500 I think which was the same as a connection for a house. One new pole would have had to be installed as well to bring the power over to the land. Went with Solar then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Got two poles on the land already :)

€15 a year, day light robbery :pac:

Thanks and I will give them a ring, only thought of an electrician I know after I posted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Red Sheds

Good for you then, if you have the poles, hope it works out alright. Sure if your VAT registered you can claim VAT back on the €15, that will save you a bit:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Got two poles on the land already :)

€15 a year, day light robbery :pac:

Thanks and I will give them a ring, only thought of an electrician I know after I posted too.

Let us know how you get on, I'm in a similar position with some rented land.
    Thanks
    Milton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭mf240

Milton09 wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on, I'm in a similar position with some rented land.
    Thanks
    Milton

The 15 is for electricity I think they charge a fair bit to connect it.

You will need to put it on a sleeper beside pole not on pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You'd have the daddy of all solar fencers for €1500 and change!! And you could move it from place to place if rented land or as needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

better hide it if its portable!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Rang up esb got forms and women told me it would be an set amount each year can't remember now but it was a lot more than €15 more like €300-€400 , I told her the gender only drew 7W but that made no difference. Now have 2 solar systems in different out farms. What are you keeping in with 5 strings of wire?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Muckit wrote: »
    You'd have the daddy of all solar fencers for €1500 and change!! And you could move it from place to place if rented land or as needs be
    What about if someone else decided to move it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

Full of questions lately :)

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/business-customers/unmetered_connections/single_unmetered.jsp

I have no electric on site but wish to put in an electric fence in the future. Does anyone here have an "unmetered connection" for powering an electric fence?

Boundary is 1,250 meters, and I will start with three wires but may wish to move up to five if three is insufficient. I figure a mains energiser is the best option here?

Did it cost you much to get all the paper work and installation done? How does the physical connection happen, do you need a building or will they do an outdoor connection near a pole, never seen it done so sorry if that's a sily question.

Thanks

we have 1 on the out farm since 1997, we pay about €30 per year (€7.50 every 2 months)

can't remember initial cost but total would less than €1k including fencer .

let's say I knew a guy in esb which may have helped ;)

ours is mounted on a block wall and every thing is housed in a large box, had to get a cert from an electrician and get a plug and breaker switch , they are also very strict about the earthling system both for the fencer and the supply itself

PS just re read ur op re 5 strands ... if u are fecnig for sheep I would seriously consider using sheep wire and 1 or 2 strands of barbed wire on top

5 strands will be an utter pain for boundary

would you qualify for the grant?

think about it, do it once and do it for life ,

Asked a retired ESB guy this morning, so he's going to make enquires and see what the lay of the land is in general price terms. Thought the connection was either €750 or €1750....

I want to keep foxes out. Never had a problem with getting the sheep to stay in, all they have to do is look over the other side of the wall, ain't no greener grass than home.

Just exploring all my options.

I'm wary of any portable system, they've been stolen before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Steel box. Chained to a grider/sleeper or even an esb pole. €100

12v battery fencer €150

12v used tractor battery or lorry battery. €20 from a local garage.

12v 10w solar trickle charger attached to the steel box €50

reilig wrote: »
    Steel box. Chained to a grider/sleeper or even an esb pole. €100

12v battery fencer €150

12v used tractor battery or lorry battery. €20 from a local garage.

12v 10w solar trickle charger attached to the steel box €50

Would that type of set up power the length and number of wires sufficiently?

Online I see conflicting reports regarding keeping foxes out, some sites are suggesting up to 9 strands of wire on bare ground. Most of the boundary is walled, I reckon 4 strands on top will keep them out. Still trying to grasp the electrified and earthed wires to give the biggest bang.

I would also like to create temporary paddocks internally into the future to rotational graze the flock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Online I see conflicting reports regarding keeping foxes out, some sites are suggesting up to 9 strands of wire on bare ground. Most of the boundary is walled, I reckon 4 strands on top will keep them out. Still trying to grasp the electrified and earthed wires to give the biggest bang.

I would also like to create temporary paddocks internally into the future to rotational graze the flock.

You will get solar fences to suit your spec. I got one here a few weeks ago from connacht agri and there is some bang off it compared to battery fences we have. A neighbour had a better model than ours and he was getting a higher reading off it than his mains fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Something like this would be made specifically for what you are doing:

http://www.farmcareuk.com/shop/product/12v-Energisers/hotshock-a50

Easy and cheap to buy things from the UK now with parcel motel.

I have one of these which is a 12v or mains fence. Savage fencer

http://www.farmcareuk.com/shop/product/12v-Energisers/a4-12v-energiser

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Every second strand of wire live , Personal choice wether you have the bottom wire live or earth , if you have it live you'll have to keep under the fence well sprayed with round up to stop it shorting out...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Every second strand of wire live , Personal choice wether you have the bottom wire live or earth , if you have it live you'll have to keep under the fence well sprayed with round up to stop it shorting out...

Yeah I read that. There's only I think around 300m that I'll have to worry about with grass. Of course, that 300 meters would have to be right beside the neighbours open drain wouldn't it :D Figure I'll have the live wire above the earth. Either way I'll have a bit of trimming to do now and then.

Advertisement