Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap golf course close to Dublin?

• 07-01-2005 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

I'm looking to join a cheap golf course close to Dublin in order to become a member of the GUI and gain a handicap.

I know of Elm green and Corbalis approx €350 to join and then pay as you play.

What other courses are there in the vicinity that I could join?
    Preferably within an hour's drive from Dublin city centre

Thanks in advance

Bob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Hollystown GC, over near Blanchardstown also had some cheap membership scheme, where you paid a memebership & got reduced fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Wigertoods

bobk wrote:
    I'm looking to join a cheap golf course close to Dublin in order to become a member of the GUI and gain a handicap.

Bob

It would work out much cheaper to join a club somewhere in the country if it's just a GUI hanicap you want.These clubs don't really care if you use their facilties or not.
    The cheapest clubs in dublin to join are all the "pay as you play" courses.
    Another one to mention besides elm green and corballis would be the open golf centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Moby

Hazel Grove in Tallaght is cheap, Not pay and play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Houllio

Citywest is only €400 to join and obtain a gui handicap. I think the green fee there after is only €20 for the lakes course. Hibernian are based on their championship course and also offer roughly the same rates. But you can join most clubs down the country for as little as €200 to become a country member and obtain a handicap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rodney Trotter2

You can only get Country Membership if you are a member in another club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You can only get Country Membership if you are a member in another club.
    I dont think thats right, my mum joined a club down in Roscommon so she could get a handicap while she learned to play in Leopardstown. Was the cheapest way to get a GUI handicap, ok its means you need to go to Roscommon 3 times but still.
    Your best bet is if you are not a Dub, try to join a course near where you are originally from, they should let you join.
    <edit>
    Country Membership is a differnet thing than being a member of a club thats in "the country". The cheapest way is to actually join a club thats outside dublin as a full member, or pavillion, 5-day or something play your 3 rounds and get a handicap. Then you are free to play where you like in Dublin.
    </edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rhyno

Castlerea golf club in Roscommon is the cheapest way of you getting a handicap. you can get country membership for about 125 euro and no you don't have to be a member of another club. the beauty of Castlerea is that in order to get your handicap all you have to do is send them three cards from any other course as long as there signed by a full gui member. so in theory you can have a full handicap and never play the course. i reckon this is your best option because once you have your handicap you can play in any open competiton. and during the summer there's practically one on every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Joe Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Orcue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

rhyno wrote: »
    Castlerea golf club in Roscommon is the cheapest way of you getting a handicap. you can get country membership for about 125 euro and no you don't have to be a member of another club. the beauty of Castlerea is that in order to get your handicap all you have to do is send them three cards from any other course as long as there signed by a full gui member. so in theory you can have a full handicap and never play the course. i reckon this is your best option because once you have your handicap you can play in any open competiton. and during the summer there's practically one on every day.

i think they were banned last year for dodgey hcap's,if it wasn't them it was some other club in Roscommon
    Portlaoise gc is only €200 for the distance membership,you have to play 3 rounds on the course(as far as i know that would be the norm)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

As far as I know Dublin City Golf CLub (in Tallaght) do a cheap entry & pay as you play option.

THe Christy O'Connor Course is also pretty cheap as far as I know. Its out near the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

heavyballs wrote: »
    i think they were banned last year for dodgey hcap's,if it wasn't them it was some other club in Roscommon
    Portlaoise gc is only €200 for the distance membership,you have to play 3 rounds on the course(as far as i know that would be the norm)

It was Boyle GC as far as I remember. Not sure if they are accepting new members as this was a number of years ago. I know a few lads that play opens around Dublin all year and have country membership in Slievenamon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bixbox

Played Headford old for 25 last bank holiday. Amazing.

Not really near but not so far also.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭gizajob

Grange castle in Lucan is a decent course and not too steep, pay as you play also.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pauliee

Swords Open is an enjoyable track. €20 weekdays and €25 weekend is good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Joe Murphy

Joe Murphy wrote:
    same old

Same old same old...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Joe Murphy wrote: »

Joe, can please not just take out an ad in the paper instead of annoying everyone on here with your constant plugging? Anyone who does what you're doing i tend to just avoid and have a negative opinion of,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lees10

Dublin City Golf Club have a membership option for €400. Then you pay €15 each time you play, mid week or weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    You good try Bellewstown full membership for around 800 less than a hour from the City Centre if you want to play a bit at the course you join if not then Corballis Elm Green Hollystown or Stillouge all have pay Xamount to get your handicap and then a reduced green fee each time you play all around the 300 mark.
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 31 johnnyfardel

Distance membership is available in County Longford for
    300 euro which includes a GUI and all course/competition access rights that full members have, maybe with certain
    restrictions around the main competitions.

You need to put in 3 cards and it's 60 minutes from
    the M50.

Not a great course, lot of drainage issues over the years but if all you want is a GUI it's reasonable value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Checking this out myself at the moment mainly for G.U.I handicap but be also nice to get a membership in a club that is accessible to play.
    From Bray so few options as well as the ones mentioned above are ...

Roscommon G.C
    Distance membership €200
    http://www.roscommongolfclub.ie/

Castlerea G.C (Roscommon)
    Distance membership €190
    http://www.castlereagolfclub.com/membership.html

Ballinastoe G.C (Roundwood) (9 holes)
    I think these have a cheaper deal at the moment to what is qouted on the web page.
    http://www.ballinastoegolfclub.com/membership/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I'm in the same boat, have been thinking of joining a dublin club to gain a handicap again. I've been looking at Elmgreen as it's probably the closest but put off by the reviews of mammoth 5 and 6 hour rounds at the weekends. I've read some decent reviews of Ballinlough Castle Golf club in Westmeath which is out past Trim. Supposed to be about 45mins from the Blanch M50 intersection. Anyway they do a distance membership for 199 once you live over 50km away, from Dublin city centre it's about 65km away. Think I'll give that a try as it's supposed to be a half decent course if a little rough. There's also Slieve Mahon golf club in Tipperary but I've read that's supposed to be a bit of a hole although slightly cheaper.

Advertisement