Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

On a monday night? LOTS OF average joe's play on a monday night. what are you talking about

It's probably me but i find as i'm getting older my week days aren't mine, job, gym, girlfriend. Only time i get me time is on the weekend.

I need a good few hours to sink into a mmo at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

KilOit wrote: »
    It's probably me but i find as i'm getting older my week days aren't mine, job, gym, girlfriend. Only time i get me time is on the weekend.

I need a good few hours to sink into a mmo at a time
    i have a job, gym and a wife and still get time to play during the week. You go gym at like 10-12pm at night? live with your girlfriend and always do stuff with her 24/7? work long shifts during the week?

i work 9-5:30, go gym for an hour or two from 6:30 to 7:30-8pm. go home and eat and chill with the wife for a couple of hours and game at 9/10pm. rinse repeat(i get more time to game when i dont go gym and hardly anyone goes gym 7 days a week unless your a pro athlete) And my missus also does her own thing at home(watching soap opera's, reading books etc) while i am gaming.

PLENTY of time to game. you can easily pull 10 hours per week in gaming easily if you are organised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

i have a job, gym and a wife and still get time to play during the week. You go gym at like 10-12pm at night? live with your girlfriend and always do stuff with her 24/7? work long shifts during the week?

i work 9-5:30, go gym for an hour or two from 6:30 to 7:30-8pm. go home and eat and chill with the wife for a couple of hours and game at 9/10pm. rinse repeat(i get more time to game when i dont go gym and hardly anyone goes gym 7 days a week unless your a pro athlete) And my missus also does her own thing at home(watching soap opera's, reading books etc) while i am gaming.

PLENTY of time to game. you can easily pull 10 hours per week in gaming easily if you are organised

That's fine and all but mmo's aren't really jump in jump out like that, well if 6 years of WoW thought me anyway! and yes i work a hospital shift. 10 hours i can do all right, just not mid week. I didn't say i had no time mid week i just like an 1-2hour game session with a mmo if i'm going to play at all, and i currently can't do that because of commitments.

KilOit wrote: »
    That's fine and all but mmo's aren't really jump in jump out like that, well if 6 years of WoW thought me anyway! and yes i work a hospital shift. 10 hours i can do all right, just not mid week. I didn't say i had no time mid week i just like an 1-2hour game session with a mmo if i'm going to play at all, and i currently can't do that because of commitments.

gw2 is a jump in and play type of mmo. have a quick blast in WvW :) and u can have tons of fun! hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Ye its the most casual orientated mmo out in years. Its f2p for starters and it isnt a raiding hardcore gear end game type of game, it has no endgame or the whole game is endgame whatever way you look at it.

• Advertisement

Ye its the most casual orientated mmo out in years. Its f2p for starters and it isnt a raiding hardcore gear end game type of game, it has no endgame or the whole game is endgame whatever way you look at it.

yea exactly which makes this game far more appealing to casuals and also hardcores.

You can still play it as a hardcore MMO trying to level up to 80 yourself getting the best skills(you dont get level 80 skills and armour in WvWvW) and enjoy 1000's of hours of gameplay from the main storyline.

Toss in the fact that they will also release new expansion packs almost yearly that will contain new skills, items, game worlds,quests, features and many more and you got a game that can last u a life time just like GW1 where to this day people are still playing that game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I hope they have a similar titles system to the first one. Titles had more prestige then armor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I agree I was a lvl 9 pvp hero and lvl 5 gladiator, titles and emotes worth more than any fancy armor and more importantly don't give grinders better armor and a false feeling of superiority.

For an 8 skill game it had superb dept and some of the teams in ha were more coordinated and skillfull than in most games, I still Random Arena from time to time still a blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

So this was posted earlier, about reserving your GW character names for GW2.

In a nutshell:
    Thus our policy will simply be as follows: to preserve your character name from Guild Wars into Guild Wars 2, you must be an active Guild Wars player (more on that below), and you must create a Guild Wars 2 character with the same name as your Guild Wars character during the Headstart Access period or on launch day.
    Active essentially means you need to have logged onto GW between January 1st 2012 and the day they build the list.

Personally, I'm a little annoyed at this. I understand that they can't just hold character's names indefinitely, because if you're not using them and it's still being held it's preventing other people from using the name. That said, the 4 day window to do so, and the fact you have to make a character within that time is quite restrictive. This also means that anyone hoping to reserve their character's name needs to have either pre-purchased, or buy and download and then create all their characters all during launch day.
    Now, obviously, you'll just make a pile of characters you don't care about with names you want to hold till you do want to use them, but I have a little feeling that trying to create multiple characters within the first few days of the game will be a very frustrating experience, because the servers will be quite busy.. thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

I personally think its a fine system. you will have 4 days to register your old name or 1 day if your buy on launch day. This should be loads of time to get your 5 characters created.

Also if you make a character and delete him later on that name is saved to your account for 24 hours.

So make all your characters day 1. 3 weeks down the road you realize that charr i made looks stupid but i like the name. Delete and u have 24 hours to reuse the name.

I think its a fair system.

• Advertisement

I dunno, it just seems to shaft some people, EotN was advertised as "reserve your characters' names" and all that, just seems a little harsh that now, in order to reserve your characters name, you need to have pre-ordered/pre-purchased or buy it on launch day. I understand giving a limited time, but this system seems like it's putting a lot of time pressure on people.

I actually think it's quite fair and probably the best they could do in the circumstances, you have ages to save some cash between now and the release, if you don't have it be then well that's just poor planning:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

I never played the first guild wars so apologies for my ignorance when i say this. I heard that GW1 characters had two worded names. Is this common second name (like legacy in SWTOR)? Or was it just mandatory for all GW1 characters to choose two words on creation?

Eoin247 wrote: »
    I never played the first guild wars so apologies for my ignorance when i say this. I heard that GW1 characters had two worded names. Is this common second name (like legacy in SWTOR)? Or was it just mandatory for all GW1 characters to choose two words on creation?

All GW 1 characters had to have at least two words in their name, the names of your characters didn't need to be related in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Some leaked (rumoured) changes and images. Please take with a pinch of salt. (This is from the Gw2 reddit)
    Leaked patch notes with some useful information.

http://i.imgur.com/mYBht.png

Some other images related to that:

http://imgur.com/pZ9NE
    http://imgur.com/zCHtr
    http://imgur.com/Nk158
    http://imgur.com/dJ5tH
    http://imgur.com/pAEhE
    http://imgur.com/AuQrg

Also Droknars Forge has sunk.
    Update:

http://i.imgur.com/rv8dG.png

Seems that high level dungeons were being tested internally.

More rumors (take in with grain of salt):

The "Mystic Forge" (found inside Lion's Arch) is used to make some of the most rarest-high-level items. Many of it's recipes are a total mystery.

The game is pretty close to finishing, just some high level zones needing work.

Asura zones/quests are coming along pretty fast. Sylvari zones lag you like a mother
    (framerate issues)

So a list of 'big stuff' needing some work to make it readyish for release:
    • Sylvari zones optimization
    • Structured PvP being finished (still in development)
    • Content (lot of quest logs etc missing and tagged with weird numbering like QEB82E and high level zones seem to miss some hearts and such.)

There's only 4 structured PvP maps in atm, the two you guys are familiar with and two more. The other two are called "Memories of the past", which is basically a conquest map mixed with some oldskool GvG elements mixed into it like killing guildlord wins you the game and "something something Capricorn", which is a coastal map with a huge pirate ship, water and beaches.

Obviously you can't just walk up to the guildlord and kill it easily. It takes time to get to him even, there's a castle gate and bodyguards and it's fairly close to the enemy teams spawn.

Pirate map
    • narrow bayish coast with capture points on each side
    • Pirate ship in the middle of the two capture points
    • Capture point under the pirate ship, so in the water.
    • Pirate ship has cannons.
    • Caribbeanish setting.

Memories of the past
    • 3 capture points, two near the spawn points and one in the middle.
    • Each team has a fort, with a guild lord in it.
    • Killing guild lord win you the game, but it´s not easy getting to him. He´s protected by fortification and bodyguards.
      Grassish setting.

Thanks for sharing that lad! And while it all looks really interesting, personally the part that sticks out is from this one:

The fact that the "Box o' Fun" has a random picture of a sandwich as it's icon.

delta36 wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing that lad! And while it all looks really interesting, personally the part that sticks out is from this one:

The fact that the "Box o' Fun" has a random picture of a sandwich as it's icon.

Could be a place holder image! :D Sandwich inside a box of fun! Sounds good to me!

MikeyJoyce wrote: »
    Could be a place holder image! :D Sandwich inside a box of fun! Sounds good to me!

I'll take 20!

No BWE this weekend
    Many of you have been asking about when we will have our second Beta Weekend Event. As we are approaching a long weekend in many parts of the world, we understand that some of you want to make plans for that. To help you with that we can confirm that we will NOT be running BWE2 this coming weekend.

Our BWE1 was super successful, we exceeded our expectations. As some of you might have experienced first hand, this lead to some technical issues. To make sure we are not running into the same situation for BWE2, we recently had a stress test, and we are currently deploying a lot of additional hardware in our datacenters.

We will be able to tell you exactly when BWE2 will take place as soon as all the hardware has been deployed. We are not withholding a date intentionally, we want to make sure that BWE2 will be a really great experience for all of you.

I hope this helps a bit in understanding where we are standing – you all have a really relaxing long weekend! ~MK

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

No BWE this weekend

That's good news in some respects. Might mean that they have little software issues with the game and it's really just their server hardware.

• Advertisement

Guild Wars 2 Next beta weekend coming:

Beta Weekend Event 2 will begin on Friday, June 8th, at noon PDT (GMT-7) and will run until Sunday, June 10th, at 11:59 p.m. PDT (GMT-7).

BETA WEEKEND!

Friday night! :D

As usual my mumble server will be online all weekend and open to everyone! :D feel free to come check it out!

Characters stay this time so maybe we can get a few people to 30 to try out the dungeon.

MikeyJoyce wrote: »
    Guild Wars 2 Next beta weekend coming:

Beta Weekend Event 2 will begin on Friday, June 8th, at noon PDT (GMT-7) and will run until Sunday, June 10th, at 11:59 p.m. PDT (GMT-7).

BETA WEEKEND!

Friday night! :D

As usual my mumble server will be online all weekend and open to everyone! :D feel free to come check it out!

Characters stay this time so maybe we can get a few people to 30 to try out the dungeon.

So the characters you roll will be available when the game goes live? Sounds good to me!

So the characters you roll will be available when the game goes live? Sounds good to me!

No. The characters that we made in the Last Beta Weekend will be available in this Beta Weekend to use. Also more than likely they will be available in all future BETA weekends.

When the game finally goes live and is released all the characters will be wiped clean.

Awesome Sauce!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

Wouldn't mind joining you again Mike.
    I'll have my Ele ready for any dungeons that we might do...
    The water boss was hard but fun last time.

I'll also be trying out other classes when not doing a dungeon... Thief / Necro / Ranger

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

bah euro2012s be on that weekend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Why cant it be this weekend? maybe if we asked them really nicely? Dont think ill be able to wait

The Guild Wars 2 fb page posted this yesterday, just a heads up to people:
    Guild Wars 2 community: We're seeing a lot of posts about gw2beta . org today. We are not affiliated with this site, we did not provide Beta Weekend Event codes to them, and many of our community members have reported that the site contains malicious code. Please avoid this site.

After having a look at the site, it's dressed up to look like a GW2 page, but to get the "beta key" you need to fill out surveys and post the site address to five different facebook pages, in short, don't waste your time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Heads up, big update for this weekends Beta. It's about 82,000 files.

• Advertisement

Heads up, big update for this weekends Beta. It's about 82,000 files.

Thanks for that. Will be updating tonight

Advertisement