Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Been Arrested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I was detained for 36 hours in a cell with about 40 others for sneaking across the Juárez border into Texas. There were a shít load of gangbangers, drug dealers and the usual dodgy characters that a being detained down there. I had been out drinking and me and friends headed across to Mexico to continue on the night. One of my friends held onto my license cause he didn't drink much. I lost them early Lie next morning and I tried crossing back. I couldn't get in. So I went further up the state line and got caught trying to cross "illegally". I use the inverted commas cause I'm an American citizen but of Mexican descent. So I got thrown into a cell with the gangstas and was pretty much left there until the next day when I got a face to face with a counsel and got to explain my situation to someone that would listen. Called home and had my passport dropped down to me. Horrible conditions for anyone being detained there. Some had been there over a week. Feck all food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I was arrested a couple of times in the North for something that is not illegal here but as its still an ongoing case I'm not going to say too much about it. The first arrest I was taken out of a car and handcuffed and put in a squad car with 4 cops. They searched my car and when I got back into it the next day (after a night in the cells and being "interviewed" until one in the morning) I noticed a phone was missing. The hoors had pocketed it. The second time I was arrested it was while coming out of court for a hearing related to the first arrest. The cops wanted to deny me bail as they thought I wouldn't turn up at court even though that is where they had just arrested me.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

I have been arrested for....

Criminal Damage
    Breaking and entering
    Burglary
    Drunk and disorderly (many times)
    Wasting police time
    dangerous driving
    assault
    GBH.

All before my 18th birthday and haven't being done for anything in the succeeding 14 years.

It is safe to say I was a compete bollocks in my youth.

Is that you Dazzler Dunne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Once. I was framed*.

*May not be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Yep ,was at a small wedding reception(about 20 people) ,all the blokes were arrested.It started when the bestman insisted that the groom spend his wedding night with his wife,and not go on the town with the rest of us lads.
    They started fighting,and others joined in. Then the guards arrived.Funny thing was I only knew the bestman ,and went along for the free beer. And No , there was'nt any travellers in sight all the guests were fairly well off.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I Pat Mustard was arrested by the guards for being to good looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Arrested for personal possession of Class A the UK. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Not personally. Two of my friends got arrested 2 weeks in a row a few weeks ago. One was taking a picture of the guards and got nabbed, they're still refusing to give his passport back I think.

The other was told the story and went out that night, and called the guards knackers and got arrested for that!

Nearly got in trouble last week for asking two guards for their Garda number, big argument and one of the lads had taken them down while I was arguing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Arrested is peanuts ever bn in prison?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Never arrested, I surrendered and spent a few hours in a cell.Eventually told to cop on and behave myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I was arrested back in college (drink-related) and spent the night in a cell. Ended up in court the next week and it made the local paper. I got some shock when I met the solicitor before court and he said "well, the good news is that it doesn't carry a custodial sentence"! Got some lecture off the Judge...and charge dismissed. It was one of the hardest things I had to do, standing up in front of the judge, taking a bollocking and trying to keep a straight face, knowing my student mates were in the gallery in hysterics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Nope. I try to not break the law.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Nope. I try to not break the law.

Don't tell me you never heard that voice inside your head after ten pints saying, "Go on, nobody can see you, and anyway you can run faster than Usain Bolt..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Don't tell me you never heard that voice inside your head after ten pints saying, "Go on, nobody can see you, and anyway you can run faster than Usain Bolt..."
    I don't get drunk. I try to keep my dignity.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I don't get drunk. I try to keep my dignity.

You're not trying hard enough...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Arrested is peanuts ever bn in prison?

Were you done for possession of a couple of E?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

not arrested, but I was driven home in a garda car once for, and I quote, 'acting the bollocks'. i wouldn't mind but I didn't even throw any of the water balloons.

They said that I'd get a warning in the post or some shyte but I never did, the two gardai were fairly cool so I don't think they bothered writing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Twice, once in Scotland and once over here, both times was for possession of hash, when I was done in Ireland there was a raid on our house because it was a busy place full of heads and musicians, that was back in 2001 though so hopefully a clear slate in my criminal record again by now. Apparently there is a ten year thing that if you do not re-offend your record goes clear again. Can anyone confirm this as I would still love the visit the US sometime and hopefully this old offence will not come up against me.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

No not yet. Never say never.
    Someone might break into my house. I might have to run over them by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

I was arrested back in college (drink-related) and spent the night in a cell. Ended up in court the next week and it made the local paper. I got some shock when I met the solicitor before court and he said "well, the good news is that it doesn't carry a custodial sentence"! Got some lecture off the Judge...and charge dismissed. It was one of the hardest things I had to do, standing up in front of the judge, taking a bollocking and trying to keep a straight face, knowing my student mates were in the gallery in hysterics!

That's the other part I still have to come. Would be gutted if it made the papers. Only been in court for a motoring fine before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

No,I usually shoot my way out of such situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

i beat the piss out of some fella I seen attacking two girls when I ws out on the town, Turned out they robbed his phone nd he was only trying to get it back , was looking at prison time. They thought I was a phone robber too.
    He was a foreigner and went back home after like the 15th time the case was put back . Got off .
    I thought I had been arrested for being drunk in public until I got the summons.

Conor84 wrote: »
    That's the other part I still have to come. Would be gutted if it made the papers. Only been in court for a motoring fine before.

Your solicitor usually will know the reporters and could ask them as a favour not to print anything. That's what my fella tried but he said that it was so funny, they printed it anyway!

Either way, it's not the end of the world: these things always blow over. We were all young and silly once (despite some of the holier than thou attitudes you might come across...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Not personally. Two of my friends got arrested 2 weeks in a row a few weeks ago. One was taking a picture of the guards and got nabbed, they're still refusing to give his passport back I think.

Thats not illegal at all o.o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Conor84 wrote: »

Are you actually being charged? How serious was this row? I thought they usually just gave cautions for this kind of thing which does not require a court appearance. What did they say to you when they were letting you go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Been in court twice for TV licence
    Could you live with the shame??

Two speeding tickets, hands up I deserved them

Multiple house parties broken up by gardaí calling to the door. Neighbours hated me lol

Never been arrested though

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

Nope, never had any negative encounters with the law.

That said, as we all now know, if you attempt on stop a criminal you will suffer arrest, charge, a likely indictment and a jury trial costing in the region of six figures to defend against.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Are you actually being charged? How serious was this row? I thought they usually just gave cautions for this kind of thing which does not require a court appearance. What did they say to you when they were letting you go?

Yeah I got charged and have a court date in a few weeks and had to sign a bail bond. I know someone who got a caution for something similar so I'm not sure why I didn't get that - would be a lot better for me. I put up a question in the Legal forum and someone posted up a document explaining the caution system but have to read it properly later.

I have a juvenile caution from 10 years ago when I was 17 and got a motoring fine in court so don't know if that makes a difference.

The row wasn't that serious at all but I got a bit thick with the Garda when they came so didn't help myself. I got 3 charge sheets when I got out - drunk and a danger to myself and others, threatening and abusive behaviour and resisting a Garda :(

Make sure you get a solicitor and make sure and get them on time i.e. not the morning of the court.
    Lord knows you sound remorseful but you need to make sure that the judge understands this too.
    I was arrested on a Thu night and left out on £20 bail the next morning (all I had in my pocket). The court was on the following Wednesday and I must say, they were a long few days: all sorts of things go through your mind. But most judges are sensible people and see this kind of thing every day. Hopefully all will go well and it'll be a lecture, a (small) fine and a dismissal. I can also remember the ignominy of having to go to the Bail office in the court collect my £20 afterwards (which was promptly used in the post-court celebrations!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Been in court twice for TV licence
    Could you live with the shame??

How did both work out for you mikemac1?

Advertisement