Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood Oranges

• 16-06-2012 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Anyone know any Fruit and Veg shops in North Dublin stocking blood oranges?

I have asked in the markets in smithfield and all my local fruit and veg shops, with no joy.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Blood oranges are pretty hard to get, the only place I've ever seen them(and only for a very short period of time) is the Temple Bar Food Market. I know its not on the north side but its probably your best bet.

They are delicious !

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭castlewhite

Out of season, first ones arrive in december( not very bloody) main crop in january and lasted this year until April. The ones you get in Ireland come from Italy mainly and some from Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Out of season, first ones arrive in december( not very bloody) main crop in january and lasted this year until April. The ones you get in Ireland come from Italy mainly and some from Spain.

I was going to say the same thing , wrong time of year .

Used to be a Christmas treat , lasted till my birthday ( end March )

• Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

There were very healthy supplies a few months ago in Caviston's Glasthule and the Happy Pear in Greystones, organic, very juicy, very few pips, easy to peel, delicious and great value too! Will have to wait till next year, along with Elstar apples!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

cormie wrote: »
    There were very healthy supplies a few months ago in Caviston's Glasthule and the Happy Pear in Greystones, organic, very juicy, very few pips, easy to peel, delicious and great value too! Will have to wait till next year, along with Elstar apples!

Apples are different.
    • Elstar apples will be in season later this year
    • More than likely you can still buy last years Elstar apples which were stored in controlled atmosphere stores. Most of us that buy Northern Hemisphere apples this time of year are unaware they were harvested last autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I didn't know that.

The best apples I've had so far are Elstar, Pinova and Ariane (something like that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I didn't know that.

The best apples I've had so far are Elstar, Pinova and Ariane (something like that).

Pinova is a lovely apple, Elstar can be very mealy especially Irish/UK ones. If your going to export an apple from half way around the world you make sure its your best so that's why imported apples are often better tasting. New Zealand Jazz is a great apple too for anyone that likes crunchy juicey apples, Rubinette from Germany isnt too bad and you can roast them. IMHO apples from Northern Italy and Austria are the best in Europe. There is a Polish apple variety that is good too, I can't remember the name but it doesn't travel well at all. Some great tasting apple varieties out there but absolutely useless when you pack them, transport them and put them on a shelf so they are better if you can grow them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

If it comes to Apples , you can't beat a Cox's Orange Pippin. Of course that's my opinion for the little that it's worth :)

It's a shame that even in Sept-Nov the supermarkets seem to be full of the horrible tasteless French apples .

It's actually hard to get apples from Ireland/Uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pedantic.pat

Thanks for the info lads . Always asking my local fruit and veg shop but they never have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I love blood oranges, shame they're only available such a short time. I've bought them before from the fruit and veg shop in the arcade walkway in Bray.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I've got them in Superquinn before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement